The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So I Got Bit by a Tick

nucklehead

Caucasian

Thats too bad... Usually East Indian or Asian doctors for that matter are usually pretty good... But I guess it depends on their communication skills. Some can be outright mean and again I am generalizing here.. but before being diagnosed with celiac I literally had to consult 8 different doctors because they had no clue what was wrong with me. Should have gone to the brown doc first!

I vacation in Central America and have had more ticks than I can count. I pulled 7 from my foot after a walking in some grass in one sitting. I have never been sick from one and although it is damn creepy, they are fairly harmless. I got stung by a bullet ant in Costa Rica though, and that was a large amount of suck. Listen to your wife, as long as the whole tick comes out you should be fine. It is a violating feeling.

I used to live in the prairies and ticks are pretty common to get when your out working or whatever. The best way to deal with them is to heat up a knife blade until it's hot and then gently press it onto the back of the tick. They will let go and try to move away on their own as long as you don't just kill it right away. Give them 30 seconds or so and they will let you go without taking a big chunk of flesh. Then you can kill them after however you please.

Ticks are everywhere in Sweden and lyme disease is prevalent, TBE is as well.

We have two dogs and we find ticks on them all the time, we use these to remove them...

skin_hook_tick.jpg

Just slide the tick into the fork and twist in circles until it comes off. It's entire head always comes out.

Lyme disease isn't very common in western North America, it's more in the north east. Just be mindful if you become more tired than usual, that you have zero ability to do anything, that's usually the first symptom of Lyme disease is "lameness" in both humans and dogs.

It's best to use this method of removing them, because if you grab it's body you risk squeezing the bacterial diseases into yourself, (if there are any present). You at a very low risk if you discover them early since for whatever reason the tick will "spit" back into your bloodstream when it gets full, and this is how the bacterial transfer occurs.

An engorged tick (when it's full):

SQJRMQORMQORSQTRJKTR20CR0QYRE0YRSQORU03Q

Still a small chance though, the thing is symptoms can take a long time to manifest, sometimes beyond a year.

Sometimes I'll even find one of these on my dogs...

TickMating.jpg

Yep these two are mating, generally only the female will feed on the host while the male (the black one) will search for a female to latch itself onto, once the female tick is done feeding it will drop from the host and carry the male under her body.

I find these on my floor sometimes if I miss finding a tick on one of my dogs.

Archived