The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

Absolute JOKE. G won that fight. He was RELENTLESS and the aggressor all 12 rounds. 

Technically Canelo is the better boxer but G is significantly tougher (and much better shape for 7 year age gap). He definitely won. The judge who gave Canelo 118-110 is on another planet. 

Just for fun I started re-watching a lot of the old Mike Tyson fights. Was Don King responsible for pumping Tyson's tires and stats with $&!#ty opponents? Or was there more than 1 person involved in that?

I'll never forget where I was when he bit Holyfield's ears, that was wild, and he was so frustrated from getting whooped he didn't know what to do. What a character. 

It's awesome that all these old fights are readily available on Youtube.

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

Just for fun I started re-watching a lot of the old Mike Tyson fights. Was Don King responsible for pumping Tyson's tires and stats with $&!#ty opponents? Or was there more than 1 person involved in that?

I'll never forget where I was when he bit Holyfield's ears, that was wild, and he was so frustrated from getting whooped he didn't know what to do. What a character. 

It's awesome that all these old fights are readily available on Youtube.

Uh wut....

He got fed up with getting head butted and the ref doing nothing about it. After the 3rd time he had enough. Clearly you didn't watch the fight. 

• Upvote 1

RIP Jake LaMotta, before my time but I knew of him through boxing video games(when they used to make them<_<).  One of the greats for sure.

17 hours ago, Green Building said:

Tyson was one of a kind.  Unfortunately mentally he wasn't there and boxing is not a sport where you can just rely of your physicality.  When his beloved trainer passed away, Tyson went off the rails.  He was a father figure to him(kind of like the Rocky movies were Rocky's trainer dies in Rocky III) so when he passed away his closet friend probably became Don King.  And we know how that turned out... 

13 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Uh wut....

He got fed up with getting head butted and the ref doing nothing about it. After the 3rd time he had enough. Clearly you didn't watch the fight. 

Nah Holyfield completely shut him down with his counters, Tyson was frustrated beyond belief.  That and the fanman were the last two PPV fights our family bought back when boxing was king.

I remember my grandparents had a satellite dish on Pender Island, all my aunts and uncles and cousins were there.  We were getting ready to watch Tyson's fight so around 30 of us in front of the TV and the fight lasted literally 45sec. lol.  You see these references on Seinfeld and Simpsons, and other shows,  were they tune into a fight only to see the ref counting to 10 lol.  That is what it was like in Tyson's hay day,  knockout power like no one else that's for sure. 

Edited by Tre Mac

16 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Tyson was one of a kind.  Unfortunately mentally he wasn't there and boxing is not a sport where you can just rely of your physicality.  When his beloved trainer passed away, Tyson went off the rails.  He was a father figure to him(kind of like the Rocky movies were Rocky's trainer dies in Rocky III) so when he passed away his closet friend probably became Don King.  And we know how that turned out... 

Nah Holyfield completely shut him down with his counters, Tyson was frustrated beyond belief.  That and the fanman were the last two PPV fights our family bought back when boxing was king.

That's a good point about his trainer, and it's one I always fail to remember. Tyson was definitely a unique boxer. Watching him charge out of the corner to attack guys like a pitbull was highly entertaining, but he was only successful at doing that against journeymen boxers he was supposed to beat, and didn't look as hot against the more talented guys. If Don King is your best friend you probably don't have people making decisions with your best interests in mind. 

I watched the fanman fight after all the Tyson ones, I never saw that one live so I had forgotten he came down in the 7th round, but he certainly got some ringside justice dished out to him. What a spectacle. 

16 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Uh wut....

So few people know what happened in that fight.  

16 hours ago, Green Building said:

Uh, he was losing regardless of the headbutts and he let his temper get the better of him. 

True, he probably would have lost

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

20 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

So few people know what happened in that fight.  

What's so difficult to understand here? Yes, he was getting headbutted. He was also losing the fight. Are you trying to imply that his actions were just because the ref didn't penalize Holyfield? Headbutts or not I don't think Tyson was ever going to win that fight.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

What's so difficult to understand here? Yes, he was getting headbutted. He was also losing the fight. Are you trying to imply that his actions were just because the ref didn't penalize Holyfield? Headbutts or not I don't think Tyson was ever going to win that fight.

Not even Tyson says his actions were justified, but within the context of the fight I think it helps create a better understanding of why it happened.  Yeah it was wrong, but Holyfield was being a D bag as well

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

Not even Tyson says his actions were justified, but within the context of the fight I think it helps create a better understanding of why it happened.  Yeah it was wrong, but Holyfield was being a D bag as well

I know he felt bad about almost immediately after the fight, and that it took a long time for he and Holyfield to make amends, but on a personal level my understanding of the 'why' hasn't ever been clouded. He was in a frustrating situation and couldn't control himself. It doesn't make Holyfield a saint, but then again Holyfield wasn't the one biting guys so why is it so hard to believe that people will paint him as the victim in that particular match. I enjoyed watching Tyson box, but he was a nut, plain and simple. Fighters back then did what they thought they could get away with for a competitive edge, and probably still do now but I don't watch the sport much anymore. Holyfield should've had a point deducted and maybe that would have diffused things, but that never happened and we know what did. 

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I know he felt bad about almost immediately after the fight, and that it took a long time for he and Holyfield to make amends, but on a personal level my understanding of the 'why' hasn't ever been clouded. He was in a frustrating situation and couldn't control himself. It doesn't make Holyfield a saint, but then again Holyfield wasn't the one biting guys so why is it so hard to believe that people will paint him as the victim in that particular match. I enjoyed watching Tyson box, but he was a nut, plain and simple. Fighters back then did what they thought they could get away with for a competitive edge, and probably still do now but I don't watch the sport much anymore. Holyfield should've had a point deducted and maybe that would have diffused things, but that never happened and we know what did. 

I guess you'll think Im crazy too for thinking good on Tyson for biting him lol

I remember watching that Tyson-Holyfield fight live.  I had to see the replays to believe that he actually bit off a chunk of Holyfield's ear.

When Tyson was at the top of his game, there was nobody better.  Unfortunately for Tyson, that only lasted a short time.  Eventually he lost control and once his mental game was gone, he became a lesser boxer.

At Tyson's height of fame/skill/power, even Muhammed Ali said Tyson would have beat him in his prime just because of the power and fierceness of his punches.