The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/Discussion] RFAs, New 2nd Line? Or 1st line?

1. I believe we are going to need some young faces here, are team is old. We aren't dynamic anymore, we have 2 1st liners and 1 2nd liner, (Sedins and Kesler) that isn't getting us anywhere. We need a new 2nd line, we need younger players, let's be competitive and in the playoffs for 2-3 years by building some new players. Shinkaruk and Horvat look like future top 6 players and if we can add players around 21-26 they can grow into the new team and still be with the original team.

2. We have to look at teams who are having trouble keeping their young players due to extreme depth and low cap space, example: Chicago. Everyone knows their top 6 has to be one of the best and even their top 9 is full with players. Jeremy Morin is a 23 year old player drafted in the 2nd round he was one of Chicago's better younger talent but he has to be on the NHL roster next year or he has to go through waivers to be sent down. He shouldn't be a healthy scratch regularly though so it is an opportunity for us to jump on it to either offer sheet to a point where they can't afford it because they still need to re-sign Ben Smith and Anti Raanta with only 3.7 million. They might trade Morin off for a 4th-5th round pick too.

Now here's some ideas I want to throw at CDC:

Johan Franzen about 4 million dollar contract for a physical power forward that had 41 points in 54 games! Not even 82 games I bet he could put up 60-70 points with the Sedins or even on the 2nd line with his future teammates.

I bet we could get Johan Franzen for a Jannik Hansen + Jordan Schroeder + 5th round pick. I think that's a good deal from our part, low risk pick, Schroeder who is a very nice talent but I can't see room for him I always liked him but he seems like a nice trading piece right now. Jannik Hansen redundant we can find players like him elsewhere and already have many players who can play his role better.

Another one player I am looking at is Evander Kane, he will be more expensive, another physical power forward who knows how to put the puck in the net. My trade is:

Brendan Gaunce, 6th overall pick and 2015 2nd round pick for Evander Kane. I don't think it is that heavy of a trade, we give up Brendan Gaunce who is obviously a good prospect to have but we have a strong center depth especially after we acquire the next player and I think that will help with our future more than Gaunce and a 6th overall pick can because we already have 2 potential top 6 players in Shinkaruk and Horvat.

Last one, Tanev + 5th round pick 2014 for Nazem Kadri. 2nd line center and Kesler as our 3rd line center gives us one of the best center depth in the Pacific Division and our offense looks off the charts.

I originally thought of Kesler for Myers as a base deal but no way Kesler goes to Buffalo.

Some smaller trades: Our 2nd round pick, 6th round pick and Tom Sestito for Columbus's 16th overall. Draft Kevin Fiala/Robby Fabbri/Jakub Vrana/Jared McCann.

David Booth 20% salary retained for a 5th round pick to Tampa Bay or Winnipeg.

Roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Franzen

Kane - Kadri - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen

Higgins - Richardson - Matthias

Cracknell

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Corrado

Stanton - Bieksa

Weber/Hannan

Sign Weber, Hannan, Cracknell all for a total of 2.6 million, each for 1 year.

Thought this was a decent proposal, I see too many Kesler to Anaheim, etc I think we get better now than in the future. The top 9 is money IMO, this team is already a playoff team when they are healthy (I've seen that at the end of the season) and adding these players makes us so much better and Stanley Cup contenders.

Well thought out. Here are a few minor adjustments I'd make:

It's going to take more than that to get Franzen. Lets be real here. That point total is pretty good considering the injuries to the Wings and him. Here's what Detroit might do:

To Det: Guance

Hansen

Schroeder

To Van: The Mule

Bit of an overpayment on our part in the Kane deal IMO. I don't think it'll take too much to get him:

To WPG: 2nd 2015

6th OVR

To Van: Kane

I like the Leafs trade. Try to put Edler in there if he waives and if TO wants him, if not, keep it the same.

There is no way in hell CBJ accepts that. I think they'll only trade it for a decent/good roster player.

But boy does that forward group look filthy.

Something that I've seen brought up in HFboards is a Jensen and a 2nd to Boston for Eriksson trade. Boston is in a bit of a cap crunch and Eriksson plays on their third line (Boston's depth is craaaazy). He is a good player but is too pricey to be playing on the third line with all of their younger players needing raises.

We would lose a young player that could potentially become another Eriksson -- scorer with two-way abilities -- as his career progresses. It would go against our "need to get younger" belief but at the same time we get a legitimate top 6 forward who's 28 and signed for a good cap hit for a few more years.

Another option is trading Edler for a top 6 forward. Some believe that LA and Philadelphia are looking for a defenseman. In LA's case, they would be looking for a top 4/top pairing guy to play with Doughty as they don't want their young players playing big big minutes too early on in their career. Richards is having an off year, and with his big contract may find himself out of Hollywood. Maybe an Edler for Richards and retained salary might work?

Philadelphia has always been looking for a big-minute top pairing defenseman, especially now since long-time Flyer Kimmo Timmonen might retire. Philadelphia has a good chunk of young top 6 forward talent, and could potentially trade Brayden Schenn for the right defenseman.

I'd like to keep Tanev. Young, cheap, plays the shutdown role with Hamhuis, and is slowly developing some offence to his game.

Evander Kane would be awesome. If none of the top 5 drop I would definitely trade the 6th overall+ for him. Unproven prospect vs a proven player.

There are certainly possibilities to create a new 2nd or 1st line.

Jensen and 2nd for Eriksson

Edler for Richards @ 80% ($4.56M cap hit for 6 years, expiring when he is 35 years old)

Edler for Schenn (adjust picks as necessary)

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Eriksson - Schenn/Richards - Kesler

Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian

Matthias - Richardson - Hansen

Solid.

I really like those ideas, I think Franzen could thrive with a change of scenery and I've always wanted him in the blue and green.

Tanev for Kadri is a very interesting deal but I would only do it if we were able to trade up and grab Ekblad.

That deal for Kane is decent value, but I'm hesitant on giving up Gaunce.

Overall nice to see a couple fresh ideas that could work with a couple tweaks.

Something that I've seen brought up in HFboards is a Jensen and a 2nd to Boston for Eriksson trade. Boston is in a bit of a cap crunch and Eriksson plays on their third line (Boston's depth is craaaazy). He is a good player but is too pricey to be playing on the third line with all of their younger players needing raises.

We would lose a young player that could potentially become another Eriksson -- scorer with two-way abilities -- as his career progresses. It would go against our "need to get younger" belief but at the same time we get a legitimate top 6 forward who's 28 and signed for a good cap hit for a few more years.

Another option is trading Edler for a top 6 forward. Some believe that LA and Philadelphia are looking for a defenseman. In LA's case, they would be looking for a top 4/top pairing guy to play with Doughty as they don't want their young players playing big big minutes too early on in their career. Richards is having an off year, and with his big contract may find himself out of Hollywood. Maybe an Edler for Richards and retained salary might work?

Philadelphia has always been looking for a big-minute top pairing defenseman, especially now since long-time Flyer Kimmo Timmonen might retire. Philadelphia has a good chunk of young top 6 forward talent, and could potentially trade Brayden Schenn for the right defenseman.

I'd like to keep Tanev. Young, cheap, plays the shutdown role with Hamhuis, and is slowly developing some offence to his game.

Evander Kane would be awesome. If none of the top 5 drop I would definitely trade the 6th overall+ for him. Unproven prospect vs a proven player.

There are certainly possibilities to create a new 2nd or 1st line.

Jensen and 2nd for Eriksson

Edler for Richards @ 80% ($4.56M cap hit for 6 years, expiring when he is 35 years old)

Edler for Schenn (adjust picks as necessary)

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Eriksson - Schenn/Richards - Kesler

Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian

Matthias - Richardson - Hansen

Solid.

Tbh, I really wouldn't mind Jensen and a 2nd for Eriksson and if we hire Benning he could give us an edge in negotiation. I think Edler for Richards could work really well for both teams, it gives us a Kesler replacement and LA gets a more proven top 4 d man who can handle the minutes to play with Doughty.

Yeah I kind of made a desperate trade for the Blue Jackets pick because I felt that we were giving away so many picks and players in the previous trades.

A few tweaks could be made I guess, although that forward group is very nice, I don't feel comfortable with the D group which is something that is hard to fix.

Eriksson with Sedins could be deadly too. They did great together but that was on the European ice rinks.

Didn't Jets already say if they were to trade Kane they want a NHL ready player. They don't need picks and more time invested into waiting for a player to develop.

• 5 weeks later...

Didn't Jets already say if they were to trade Kane they want a NHL ready player. They don't need picks and more time invested into waiting for a player to develop.

This

Winnipeg wants to win now, not trade for and develop picks for 3-5 yrs.

Archived