The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder

William_Clarkson

But we are rebuilding, we are a few years away from being a contender, so makes sense to give younger guys with upside an opportunity over older guys, provided they earn it of course. Makes little sense to potentially lose him on waivers, Grabner is a perfect example.

Agreed

Kind of like how he ignored my post directly below the one where he pleads for anyone to answer his post?

Meh, mission accomplished from my end. If he doesn't want to see it then I can't help him. I like Schroeder but he has a very limited window to impress in camp over the other options or likely by the 13th forward/get sent to the AHL despite the risk of waivers.

I have already said they are below average second liners. They have proven year after year that they are below average second liners. So why continue with them when you know you are going to get below average point totals when you might get about the same with Scroeder. He was on pace for 24 points under AV playing with 3rd liners and 4rth liners. Higgins best totals are 52 and 43. I say Schroeder gets in the ballpark playing with better players and he will actually be developed one year. As a winger you only need to get into the 40's to be a good winger in the NHL as a second liner.

We have so many 3rd and 4th liners plus hopefully a rookie or two...where are we going to put them all?

Some believe JS is top 6, which is comical. He doesn't fit with this group or does he fit with the type of team that Benning will be building (if he builds the same type of team he built in Boston).

You look at Boston's team and there is no JS type of player there, likely not in the minors either.

Some believe JS is top 6, which is comical. He doesn't fit with this group or does he fit with the type of team that Benning will be building (if he builds the same type of team he built in Boston).

You look at Boston's team and there is no JS type of player there, likely not in the minors either.

Ummmm.... Brad Marchand 5'9" 183 lbs. The only real significant differences are Schroeder isn't the weasel Marchand is and he hasn't been given the same opportunity. You're unlikely to prove your skill playing fourth line.

This thread seems to be a mix of extremes. He's a bust or he's the next great one. He's neither. He's a question mark that hasn't had any real opportunity to prove himself. Until he gets that opportunity he can't be called a quality top six or a bust.

Because he will have to pass through waivers like Grabner did in Florida. Where he went to the Islanders.

at the time, grabner was a year younger than schroeder will be, was coming off his first partial nhl season where he had 11 pts in 20 gp including a hat trick (as opposed to schroeder's 6 pts in 26 gp in his SECOND season), and was/is arguably the fastest player in the league while possessing a lethal shot. he also isn't 5'8".

like i've asked countless times now: which team puts schroeder in their opening night 23 man roster? which team doesn't have either veterans or their own prospects to take that role instead? not to mention that when schroeder is waived at the beginning of the year there will be many better available players on the waiver wire at the same time.

Obviously there aren't many 5'8" forwards in the league doing too well for themselves, but JS just has to look at guys like Danny Briere who is a point per game in the playoffs, and St. Louis who is a playoff warrior himself, for confidence. Size means nothing if your team has enough powerforwards. It's one thing to be big, but our future prospects lack one element that Schroeder has and that's speed.

The kids actually been getting better every single year in the pros, so who knows, he may well be a full-time NHL player next season:

2011 - 0.459 points per game with Manitoba

2012 - 0.576 points per game with Chicago Wolves

2013 - 0.786 points per game with Chicago Wolves, plus 0.29 points per game with the Canucks (0.1 goals per game)

2014 - 0.24 points per game with the Canucks (0.12 goals per game)

As it stands (assuming Kesler will be traded), here's our lineup with the competition:

Sedin - Sedin - Player X

Player X - Santorelli - Player X

Player X - Player Y - Hansen

Booth - Player Y - Player Y

Player X = Burrows, Higgins, Jensen, Kassian, Shinkaruk

Player Y = Richardson, Matthias, Horvat, Gaunce, Schroeder, Cassels

I personally like Schroeder's NHL chances over some of our other prospects - he's had several years more pro experience than Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk anyway.

Obviously there aren't many 5'8" forwards in the league doing too well for themselves, but JS just has to look at guys like Danny Briere who is a point per game in the playoffs, and St. Louis who is a playoff warrior himself, for confidence. Size means nothing if your team has enough powerforwards. It's one thing to be big, but our future prospects lack one element that Schroeder has and that's speed.

The kids actually been getting better every single year in the pros, so who knows, he may well be a full-time NHL player next season:

2013 - 0.786 points per game with Chicago Wolves, plus 0.29 points per game with the Canucks (0.1 goals per game)

As it stands (assuming Kesler will be traded), here's our lineup with the competition:

Sedin - Sedin - Player X

I personally like Schroeder's NHL chances over some of our other prospects - he's had several years more pro experience than Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk anyway.

For every Briere and St.Louis there are thousands of smaller players who never see a pro game. While I

can hope that Schroeder is successful the odds are definitely against him. One might even suggest that

drafting Schroeder was a gamble that the Canucks did not have enough depth to make. As a 1st Round pick

Van had to consider his residual trade value if he could not crack the Canuck lineup. I would suggest

that the value of a smaller player like him would drop farther than a bigger player would.

I am always impressed by Schroeder's drive and desire to make the NHL. He started last season trying to

play Tort's style and it cost him an injury. IMO he has to play more to his strengths, handling the puck, skating and passing. Hopefully he will be put with linemates who can compliment those strengths.

Ummmm.... Brad Marchand 5'9" 183 lbs. The only real significant differences are Schroeder isn't the weasel Marchand is and he hasn't been given the same opportunity. You're unlikely to prove your skill playing fourth line.

This thread seems to be a mix of extremes. He's a bust or he's the next great one. He's neither. He's a question mark that hasn't had any real opportunity to prove himself. Until he gets that opportunity he can't be called a quality top six or a bust.

I agree. That is exactly what I am saying to. We don't know. Until we do lets play him. This is not the same thing that happened when we had Grabner in one way. When we had Grabner we actually had a second line. Right now we have nothing except Kesler.

As well its nobody's fault that Jordan has only played 57 games. It was dumb luck. So now is the time to find out what we have. Because we don't have much for alternative.

at the time, grabner was a year younger than schroeder will be, was coming off his first partial nhl season where he had 11 pts in 20 gp including a hat trick (as opposed to schroeder's 6 pts in 26 gp in his SECOND season), and was/is arguably the fastest player in the league while possessing a lethal shot. he also isn't 5'8".

like i've asked countless times now: which team puts schroeder in their opening night 23 man roster? which team doesn't have either veterans or their own prospects to take that role instead? not to mention that when schroeder is waived at the beginning of the year there will be many better available players on the waiver wire at the same time.

I don't know. Islanders, Ottawa, Pittsburg they are looking for depth and change, Calgary, Winnipeg. Just off the top of my head.

Sedin - Sedin - Player X

I have to agree with some people on here he is not ideal size and or for face offs. I think he is 44% or something.

That being said I do think we are trading Kesler. I do believe he wants out. There seem to be some good sources on that. There is a problem in the locker room imo.

That being said, we will be getting something back for him. In that case we will need a complete second line.

And no Santorelli is not good enough. He has never scored more than 41 points. Last year he was on pace for 46 points which still not good enough. Plus he is development time has passed. He is what he is. I would like him on our team but unfortunately we has 8 other guys like him when we should have 5 max.

I would love to swing a deal for Eriksson from Boston to play witht the Sedins. Hey that is a good Rumor. Kesler, Erriksson deal. And we have the gm to do it.

The difference is when Grabner had his 11 points in 22 games he played on the second line. The reason he was dealt was he was waiver eligible, our entire top six had a career year, and he never once showed up to camp in game shape ready to compete. A problem he's continued to have. While Schroeder played primarily on our fourth line this past season and half his games the season the season prior he was playing with a shoulder injury on the third and fourth line. Certainly not the same opportunity Grabner had in his 22 games. Btw, Grabners hat trick came against superstar goalie Curtis McElhinney.

Unlike you I'd be very surprised if Schroeder wasn't claimed off waivers. A bottom feeder has nothing to lose claiming a talented young guy for free and giving him a shot just as a desperate bottom feeder claimed "I take the summer off" Grabner.

I have to agree with some people on here he is not ideal size and or for face offs. I think he is 44% or something.

Schroeder was 45.9% on faceoffs this season. Keslers rookie season (28 games played) he was 40.2% and his first full 82 game season he was 46.8%. Henriks rookie season (82 games) he was 44.1% on faceoffs. So really Schroeders faceoff percentage isn't really anything to be concerned about at this point.

The difference is when Grabner had his 11 points in 22 games he played on the second line. The reason he was dealt was he was waiver eligible, our entire top six had a career year, and he never once showed up to camp in game shape ready to compete. A problem he's continued to have. While Schroeder played primarily on our fourth line this past season and half his games the season the season prior he was playing with a shoulder injury on the third and fourth line. Certainly not the same opportunity Grabner had in his 22 games. Btw, Grabners hat trick came against superstar goalie Curtis McElhinney.

Unlike you I'd be very surprised if Schroeder wasn't claimed off waivers. A bottom feeder has nothing to lose claiming a talented young guy for free and giving him a shot just as a desperate bottom feeder claimed "I take the summer off"

Interesting point.

Schroeder was 45.9% on faceoffs this season. Keslers rookie season (28 games played) he was 40.2% and his first full 82 game season he was 46.8%. Henriks rookie season (82 games) he was 44.1% on faceoffs. So really Schroeders faceoff percentage isn't really anything to be concerned about at this point.

I agree. The thing is it most likely won't be good for next year is what I meant. But I also agree he is fine regarding his development.

Archived