The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford: Do the Canucks want to be "true" cup contenders or do they simply want to make playoffs as soon as possible?

Southpop45

If the Canucks were able to get out from under their no trade clauses,they would be in a very different situation than the rebuilders mentioned.I would suggest they would be picking often in the first round of the next two drafts.

Thanks MG!!!

Been thinking today that we should move out cap space. Go with lots of cheaper, younger guys. Our Swedish 3 will either accept losing, & stay comfortable in Van-or agree to moving on, for a chance at competition.

Tanev, Hansen, Burrows(retain 1.5 mill) Markstrom, & Gaunce to NYI. Receive Strome & a top D(Rhino/Pulock?)

Kesler to Anaheim for 3 pieces.

I'd ask one of Garr or Ham if they'd accept going to a contender.

In a yr & a half, at TDL,(if we're not competitive yet), deal the twins to a team like Mtl. They'd only have 2 seasons of contract left(accept 50% retained, 1 of twins cap). By this time, we'd have 5-6 mill of cap retained(but only for 2 seasons), but I think these moves would expedite a rebuild to a new, competitive generation of younger Canucks.

I'd rather have a younger, hard-working team that spends about 80~85% of the annual cap-allowance. A couple times we might even accept(in trades) overpaid, yet expiring contracts, if we can acquire even more youth.

Truly don't believe we'll win with this core, I'm afraid to say. Don't want to see lateral moves to squeak into spring.

Not true.

Where we at the end of December? Right, just as high a play off spot as LA finished.

This past year we went in the direction of fixing our cap problems. That was, and will be key. While we had Lou and Schneider, Ballard and Booth (should have bought him our to) we simply did not have the budget to fill out the line up. Too much on ineffective players, too much on goaltending.

The key is a balanced line up physically ready to compete / defensively capable of matching up. Our 2knd line, with Higgins and Santorelli, was a great match up line. Against all teams not named LA, Anaheim and SJ against whom they were just too small. Hence our one in (what was it) 14 record against our big division rivals. Our 3rd of Richardson, Booth and Kassian became offensively effective at the end of the year. But is not a defensive stopper line either. 4th was non effective. So the Twins / Burr, at 185 lbs average, played many of the key neutral zone and defensive draws (for the first time in eons). We'll need at least two lines capable of lugging defensive minutes / matchups, two lines that can score.

Yes a large part of the fix is probably returning the Twins to offensive roles and sheltered minutes. Not taking physical abuse, contributing to their sudden injury woes, defending big physical offensive players, blocking shots and killing penalties. Jensen or Kassian emerging as a big forward capable of playing with the Twins would also be a major win in making that line more physically daunting.

In 2011 it was a simple as adding Malhotra and Torres, 220 and 216 lb speedsters, and matching them with Lightning rod Hansen. Horvat (or Gaunce) surfacing and a trade or pickup could add the two bodies / defensive horses we need up front. Lain and Zalewski are candidates. Kassian or Jensen, also have the size and speed just need to add the defensive determination. But

Burrows / Kesler / horse Higgins / Horvat / horse 4t line Booth / Mathias / Richardson

Its not that far. Fans just have to have vision. The team needs a coach that knows how to match guys up!

Yes completely agree.

Canucks are not a bottom 10 team. A lot of things had to go wrong for the canucks to finish were we did. A coach with a strategy that uses players to their strengths a few roster tweaks and this team will once again be playoff team in the west.

I'm going to assume you aren't old enough to remember the Canucks when they were bad.

It's not like the Leafs or the Flames, Flyers ect.

Back in 98' GM place was half full at best, we're talking attendance that was consistently around 9,000.

We're talking Florida Panthers numbers,

There is evidence even older than that to back up the assertion that Van isn't a real hockey town.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it is what it is,

If you don't believe me, just wait and see...

Those of us who lived through the 90's (And earlier) know what's coming.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I remember those days and feel the cycle is coming around again. The team didn't relocate back in the Messier era despite the constant talk that it was a strong possibility. The team has been mediocre much longer than it has been successful and never moved so I don't buy all the panic.

Also I don't understand why many on CDC think young goaltenders need time to develop before taking over starter duties. Only on CDC have I seen this. Rookie goaltenders have won Cups as have those with only a few years of experience at the NHL level. Heck, Jonathan Quick was only 26 when he won a Cup and was the starter for LA before that. Schneider was good to go when he was here and Lack and Markstrom are only 24 and should be ready to go. Cloutier was 24-25 when he came from Tampa Bay and Luongo was 21 when he started with the Panthers.

Archived