The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

The up and down reviews make me believe otherwise. I've heard it gets repetitive as well.

Although, from a couple of people who I know that have it, they do like it.

I finished it last night. I spent 30 hours playing, and I still have side quests to do. The only issue I have with it is the ending (Quicktime event). Other than than that,my favorite horror/zombie game.

I finished it last night. I spent 30 hours playing, and I still have side quests to do. The only issue I have with it is the ending (Quicktime event). Other than than that,my favorite horror/zombie game.

That's another reason why I haven't bought it yet. There's a bunch of zombie games out there that I've already put many hours into and it's hard to know if I'll dive into Dying Light because of the genre.

To name a few, I put a lot of time into Dead Island, State of Decay, and Day Z. Can't really categorize Day Z as the same kind of game though.

I've been waiting a long time for Evolve to come in the mail. Even before it was officially announced, I was ready for whatever it was going to be, as it was the follow up from the guys who created Left 4 Dead 1. At some point, it was probably my most anticipated of all games. Though I gradually became less and less interested in the game as more and more of it was revealed. By release day, I was only cautiously hopeful for anything that I would fall in love with.

I got the game today, and eh.... I dunno. It couldn't have started more poorly. Game launches with a splash about it's EULA, reminding you that you didn't buy a game, but a "limited non-transferable licence to access one copy of the game that may be rescinded at any time", and reminding me personally that I need to pick up a PS4 to stop dealing with this crap. You then get slapped with a Monster Demo, to remind me that this is all about the Versus, and not the co-op from L4D 1. Then actually playing the game, the mechanics seem interesting, but hard to initially grasp, and the game sets up what looks to become a potentially very redundant process that I'm going to be playing over and over again. One look at the characters and classes, and there's maybe one I ever want to be.

And on top of other things, it is a game that demands multiplayer, but I'm not a guy who enjoys launching into games with strangers often, and without any friends that have picked up the game yet, I feel more lost than I do playing Left 4 Dead single player. As you could tell from what I've said, I'm hardly encouraging anyone to pick up the game and join me, as it has a what, $70 pricetag in store and digitally? I got it for $35, so I'm not reeling from buyers remorse or anything. But as the end product of something I so anticipated, I do feel let down.

And on top of the price tag, they have all these skin packs, and weapon packs for $5-$6 each in their in game store. That's hilariously bad. What is this, a AAA release, or a Free to Play crapfest? None of these have much bearing on the game I believe, as they don't seem to effect the gameplay. But this massive glut of Day one DLC stuff is a slippery slope, and I'm happy that 2K is getting called out for it. Because where there's a slippery slope, these game companies don't accidentally stumble down it on occasion, they dive head first into it.

For a very average looking game, played in a relatively small field, you should not require an expensive rig to play beyond low settings, but that's the case for me at least. A lot of unreasonable lag.

I can't get into to many positives, because I'm not even sure what they are right now. I'm going to dig around at it to find the core of a good game that seems to be at the heart of all this. Rather, I hope it exists, and that it's not something I'm trying to force myself to see.

If anyone here gets it, add me as a friend on Steam if you haven't already. You'll find me on there by searching, or through the CDC Steam group, which still seems to exist. I will be trying the game for a while.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 1

Saw g_bassi13 last replied, and came expecting an essay.

Was not disappointed. ;)

And yeah, no way I'm getting any multiplayer-centric games at launch nowadays.

Could've been longer. It usually is, lol. I just hadn't played enough of the actual game to give it the treatment.

I can't even remember the last AAA game I purchased at launch (eh... maybe the UFC game for the xbone?).

In the last year I've gotten Thief, Dark Souls 2, Alien Isolation, Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, Borderlands the Pre-sequel, Civilization Beyond Earth, Shadow of Mordor, Super Smash 3DS, Super Smash Wii U, Bravely Default, and Conception 2 (3DS) at launch day, or there abouts (I waited for 4-5 of them to ship from the UK.)

.. Don't judge, lol. These were mostly done for cost saving measures or collectors editions, and not just basic pre-orders. I regret Conception 2 absolutely, and Thief to a large degree as well (Though it had to be tried as a fan of the series), but I was anywhere from moderately happy to extremely so with the rest. Was lucky that despite not being a great year for games, they were all good enough by my standards to warrant purchases and playthroughs. Wasted a lot of the last year playing games.

Evolve is one game I've avoided since I first saw it; The Concept of having to have to have a group of some kind to play with just isn't good.

Now; If you want a AAA title worth picking up;

Dying Light; I'm up to just under 40 hours and I love it even more than when I started, it is everything Dead Island could/should have been and then some; the multi-player co-op Zombie killing is a blast too. the game looks fantastic, although is has had some issues on AMD GPUs(Those seem to be being quickly patched out)

As for indie gems;

Right now I STRONGLY suggest picking up Magicmaker & Beseige, both under $10, and both are awesomely fun, for a little bit more money at $15+ I would suggest Stranded Deep, The Escapists, and This War Of Mine.

I think Divinity: Original Sin was the last PC game I paid full price for. I still haven't put in more than an hour or two into it even though I was hooked instantly.

Buying at launch and full price aren't the same thing, not if you're planning it right. Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and a couple of the others that you can't buy in Canada were the ones that I paid full price for, but these others were 35-55% off each.

Right now I STRONGLY suggest picking up Magicmaker & Beseige, both under $10, and both are awesomely fun, for a little bit more money at $15+ I would suggest Stranded Deep, The Escapists, and This War Of Mine.

I thought This War of Mine looked pretty good, but I will wait to pick it up. Probably because I need to sink more time into State of Decay first, and I want to wait for the price to come down.

Buying at launch and full price aren't the same thing, not if you're planning it right. Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and a couple of the others that you can't buy in Canada were the ones that I paid full price for, but these others were 35-55% off each.

I thought This War of Mine looked pretty good, but I will wait to pick it up. Probably because I need to sink more time into State of Decay first, and I want to wait for the price to come down.

I thought I had typed out: the last PC game I purchased at launch. It looks like my fingers and brain are back to not communicating.

Bah. I'm back to playing F2P and early access games (only DayZ has burned me at this point) anyway.

Yeah... yeah.

Meh. The guys who put it out have continued to support it and have been adding in a decent amount of free fighters (who should have been in at launch, but whatever).

I enjoyed it enough and it sure is entertaining to troll people who are using mics.

I suppose so. I should probably play it more. I actually never got to winning the title in my career. Kind of just stopped playing because I was beating guys who I shouldn't have been with such lower overall.

For the talk about buying AAA titles, I haven't bought a single one on PC at launch since maybe that Half-Life 2 Christmas Bundle thing. That was a long time ago.

Only titles I bought at launch this year were NHL 15, Call of Duty: AW, FFX/X-2: Remaster, and I think GTA4 for PS4.

I'm not completely sure if FFX Remaster was within the year, it might not have been.

For the last little while I've only bought a game at launch if I'm sure I'm going to be playing it a lot. Minus probably CoD:AW, all of those games I've played a ton.

Usually I wait until the game comes out then check a bunch of reviews and opinions of the game, and possibly watch some live streaming on Twitch.

I just want Diablo II to be remastered. I would sink another 10+ years into it.

Wasn't a fan of it. It was impossible to beat on single player. You just weren't strong enough to get anywhere. I remember struggling to get out of the second act because it took way too long to level up much past level 30. But if you could get past it, getting out of the third act was definitely impossible. Again, leveling up was difficult as hell and you could get through most of that act without going up more than a few levels. Then Mephisto destroying you was inevitable.

Then they seemed to ruin the Diablo 3 by making it all colourful. Every depiction of Hell doesn't have rainbow colors.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant