The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

Has anyone here played the game Blackguards? It should be a game that I want to play, as a RPG with turn based tactical gameplay. But I've heard varying things about the game from its combat to its story, and it sounds very rough around the edges. Was wondering if someone had a more positive spin to put on it.

I'm getting back into Crusader Kings 2 after leaving it on the backburner for almost a year.

My Basque/Norweigian Lesbian Queen Ana of Ireland, based out of Iceland, and head-quartered in Sicily, and heir to the throne of Norway, is looking to expand into Finland.

Invasion of Finland put on hold because the plethora of updates mess with your game royally. As a Maritime empire, you can't exactly play the game when you go from having a massive navy, to then having no ships at all. Every county's fleet reduced to nothing until shipmaking is researched, and money is poured into making shipyards in every city. They found a way to make the game more complex somehow as they patched it through the years. Now all I can do is sit on my ass for a decade and hope that war or unrest doesn't break out anywhere in the next decade, because I can't do anything about it.

It was more fun when Queen Ana's peg legged dwarf mother Dutchess Gylda of Sicily had sneaked into a war between Norway and Sweden, and was about to take over half of both kingdoms before she died in childbirth.

I mean the game's complexities are what allow you to make stupidly intricate stories like these, but all the technicalities surrounding the gameplay make the outrageous/fun stories too hard to achieve. Far more so in every patch following the 1.0 version of the game. There should be a switch to turn off certain functions/restrictions of it.

I'm planning on getting a solid gaming desktop PC. Any tips? I've looked into it a little, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm open to building it myself, even though I have no experience whatsoever in building PCs.

I'm planning on getting a solid gaming desktop PC. Any tips? I've looked into it a little, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm open to building it myself, even though I have no experience whatsoever in building PCs.

Tips? Like what kind of tips? Here's a real important one: find some real life people who can help you. Like a gaming enthusiast friend who really knows his hardware. If you live in greater Van get to know the people at NCIX because they can be really helpful. Ultimately the only two things you really need to build your own PC is a screwdriver and YouTube. Linus will guide you through!

I just did my first self-build in January (0 prior experiance). It's actualy not very hard, lots of tutorials on Youtube. I found it imtimidating at first, because I was so afraid of breaking things. I picked up all my parts from NCIX.com. It's a Vancouver company with a huge selection and good prices.

Biggest tip I could give you is cache size and frequency (GHz) are more important than the number of cores in the CPU for a gaming PC.

Has anyone else tried City Skylines? It's a great city building game, I have sunk far to many hours into it already. I'm finding it really difficult to keep traffic moving when the population gets over 25 000, anyone have more success?

I just did my first self-build in January (0 prior experiance). It's actualy not very hard, lots of tutorials on Youtube. I found it imtimidating at first, because I was so afraid of breaking things. I picked up all my parts from NCIX.com. It's a Vancouver company with a huge selection and good prices.

Biggest tip I could give you is cache size and frequency (GHz) are more important than the number of cores in the CPU for a gaming PC.

Biggest tip would be get a good card.

Thanks for the advice!

When I bought a new PC I had a place near my house build it while I just picked all the parts. That's just because of my laziness though.

If you're building a PC then the main things to look for are the processor (CPU), the graphics card (GPU), and the memory (RAM).

RAM doesn't need to be any more than 8GB unless you're some video developer or something running on dual monitors.

You don't exactly need an i7 processor either but it's not that much more expensive than the higher i5's. For example, I was going for higher end i5 in the beginning but I settled for an i7 that was only like $100 more.

When I bought a new PC I had a place near my house build it while I just picked all the parts. That's just because of my laziness though.

If you're building a PC then the main things to look for are the processor (CPU), the graphics card (GPU), and the memory (RAM).

RAM doesn't need to be any more than 8GB unless you're some video developer or something running on dual monitors.

You don't exactly need an i7 processor either but it's not that much more expensive than the higher i5's. For example, I was going for higher end i5 in the beginning but I settled for an i7 that was only like $100 more.

I'd say find a processor that overclocks well. It'll really help stretch the lifespan and value so that you don't need a jacked up i7 series.

Cities Skylines looks really interesting. I've been craving a good city building game since Sim City 4, as none have been relevant since. This seems to fit the bill well.

I'd recommend it. Don't get too attached to your first few cities though; It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of the early game layout.

I'd say find a processor that overclocks well. It'll really help stretch the lifespan and value so that you don't need a jacked up i7 series.

Pay close attention to cooling if you are overclocking though. You might need an after market CPU cooler.

Pay close attention to cooling if you are overclocking though. You might need an after market CPU cooler.

If I'm making a gaming rig I would never use the stock heatsink that Intel uses. Got an aftermarket one right now.

The problem here is that there's just an endless amount of things to cover, even when we're only talking about cooling. "This PSU throttles! This fan is loud! This one is failure prone! This one will catch fire!!" The best thing is to do your own research. Any individual questions and we'll be here to help.

Anyways.... Skylines. What a game.