The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

8 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Check the connections between the MOBO and the front end panel on the case. The power button connection in particular may be loose. 

Also, check the CPU fan. If it's not connected properly nothing will happen. It may have popped loose. 

If that doesn't work there's a nice step by step guide here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

Yes.  There are ways to boot up without using the button.  If that's not working, then the mobo probably isn't getting power.

19 hours ago, Nail3738 said:

Hardware is totally not my specialty; However, it really still sounds like something isn't plugged in all the way, or plugged in properly, - but considering you say you've gone over that multiple times; perhaps the power supply is faulty? Can you test the voltage? If everything is compatible/working and you are 100% sure about the cables, you should at least be getting a boot up. :\ Is the cable heavy enough for the new power supply load? did you forget to swap to the new PSU cable or something? - I'm really stretching for an answer for ya here, this one sounds weird.

I swapped all the cables, and tested the new PSU on my girlfriends computer, still nothing. This one's a doozy.

Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it!

19 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Check the connections between the MOBO and the front end panel on the case. The power button connection in particular may be loose. 

Also, check the CPU fan. If it's not connected properly nothing will happen. It may have popped loose. 

If that doesn't work there's a nice step by step guide here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

I hooked up the power button from my girlfriends case to my MoBo and checked to make sure my heatsync was secure. I've checked out the step by step, and everything is pointing towards a faulty MoBo. I'm currently waiting for an e-mail back from the supplier to see if they will exchange it for another.

Thank you for the help!

On 2016-01-04 at 3:52 AM, g_bassi13 said:

To pile on to my previous comment about how $&!# this Winter Steam sale was, The sale's ending, and I'm looking now at whether there's something there to scoop up before it ends. As of now I've bought nothing.

I went to my wishlist, and the top 6 games look like this. Sunless Sea is at 50%, which is nothing spectacular, but fine whatever. Not enough to convince me to buy it now, but it's not the worst discount. Tales of the Borderlands is only 66% off, which is the exact same discount they gave 3 months ago when the game finished it's episodic treatment. Freedom Planet is 35%, as a year and a half old game, that has received literally double the discount both during the Steam summer Sale, and independent of it, at 70% off. Undertale is only 20% off. Papers Please is only 60% as a 2 and half year old that has been on sale for far cheaper before. Eastside Hockey Manager has no discount at all.

That's what I'm looking at for my most wanted games. It's not better as I keep going down. Games marked at lesser discounts then in the past, too many to continue just listing them all. Even the one game I recommend every sale, Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, is now at the same price as when I bought it 3 freaking years ago during that 2012 winter sale, when it was only 2 months old (wasn't even a flash/daily sale, it was just the basic 2 week sale price. I missed that extra sale price.)

Some of these things are just incredibly misleading, like Wolfenstein the new order being $10, but that being "85%" off. The $67 dollar base price is incredibly silly, when the game dropped down to a base $40 way earlier last year, and that I bought the game off Amazon before Christmas for $15 for both myself, and to wrap up and gift to a friend. A price it was sitting at for over a month before I finally decided, meh, okay.

I mean not literally every item's price is $&!#, (some are at the best they've been) but these sales are getting so much worse on the whole now. I mentioned both last Winter and this last Summer (and last last summer) that they were giving smaller discounts, and they've gotten even smaller now. Also, without the daily deals to follow and take advantage of, they're even less impactful. I think I said something along the lines of how the trend showcased an basic trail/model. These bigger sales from previous years first create a base to convince people they need to come by offering something in a beneficial way, and then when those consumers have planted themselves into the idea of this sale, you can stop giving a $&!#. This is them not giving a $&!#. I know the discounts are decided on by the publishers, but they've decided on mass that they don't need to give people these discounts to get them to empty their wallets on a sale. And really the format for this sale and the general tone of it was obviously from Valve's part.

But to cut the cynicism and give some honest last second recommendations, Rogue Legacy at $2.54, Teslagrad at $2.19, and Shadowrun Dragonfall at $3.39 are all well worth it. That's some solid play for some minimal dollars.

I bought a grand total of one game this past Winter Sale. It's a CDN$7 management simulation called Empire TV Tycoon. The game seems a bit overpriced after playing through it though, but that says a lot about my overall attitude toward this sale.

I think the online market has become a lot more saturated and there are fewer and fewer quality games, yet the consumer base is still expanding with their ever growing library. There are simply fewer options when it comes to picking something that really catches your eye. And did I mention we have been spoiled for way too long and way too much? As an example, I have more games on Steam than I want to admit and I will probably never finish all of them in my lifetime (50% will be a lifetime achievement on its own), even without any further purchase. There is simply no immediate incentive for me to buy ANY game (unless its name is Overwatch), even for a big discount. However, I do buy games, but only out of habit, not out of hedonistic necessity.

Nevertheless, here are a few indie games I recommend on Steam, in case you guys are wondering what to buy in the next sale.

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves [Third Person Tower-defense] (g_bassi13 recommended it a while ago, was not disappointed)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/227220

Legend of Grimrock I/II [First Person Tile-based RPG] (unique/retro gameplay; great puzzles; sequel has best menu music only second to Civ 4's)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/49358/

Door Kickers [Real-time Tactic] (Rainbow Six 1 and 2 from Top-down)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/248610

Qvadriga [Tactical Chariot Racing] (self-explanatory)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297760

On 2015-12-26 at 11:00 PM, g_bassi13 said:

Some of items I'd recommend still have a massive discount though. Like the entire Deponia trilogy for $6.50 CAD. Or just the first game for $1.09.

The trilogy was for $3.79 US on Indie Gala (a bundle retailer like Humble Bundle) a few months back. Might happen again.

On 2015-11-23 at 10:52 PM, Tanev's Smirk said:

It turns out that Overwatch had an open beta weekend. 

I totally didn't forget to play after downloading the client.

Persona 4 didn't keep me glued to my tv... nope... not me.

Edit: Ignore above; I'm an idiot.

They are going to invite more people when the closed beta comes back next week or so (mid Feb), so check your inbox.

The beta weekend was probably my best FPS experience in years (Battlefield 3 came close). When one of your best moments made it in the Play of the Game, that feeling is just awesome.

1 hour ago, Hat Trick Maker said:

I bought a grand total of one game this past Winter Sale. It's a CDN$7 management simulation called Empire TV Tycoon. The game seems a bit overpriced after playing through it though, but that says a lot about my overall attitude toward this sale.

I think the online market has become a lot more saturated and there are fewer and fewer quality games, yet the consumer base is still expanding with their ever growing library. There are simply fewer options when it comes to picking something that really catches your eye. And did I mention we have been spoiled for way too long and way too much? As an example, I have more games on Steam than I want to admit and I will probably never finish all of them in my lifetime (50% will be a lifetime achievement on its own), even without any further purchase. There is simply no immediate incentive for me to buy ANY game (unless its name is Overwatch), even for a big discount. However, I do buy games, but only out of habit, not out of hedonistic necessity.

Nevertheless, here are a few indie games I recommend on Steam, in case you guys are wondering what to buy in the next sale.

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves [Third Person Tower-defense] (g_bassi13 recommended it a while ago, was not disappointed)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/227220

Legend of Grimrock I/II [First Person Tile-based RPG] (unique/retro gameplay; great puzzles; sequel has best menu music only second to Civ 4's)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/49358/

Door Kickers [Real-time Tactic] (Rainbow Six 1 and 2 from Top-down)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/248610

Qvadriga [Tactical Chariot Racing] (self-explanatory)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297760

Yeah, though I don't have the trouble of having a mass of games in library that I've yet to play, I get the sentiment. My library of indie games is under no real threat of growing with the way these prices are. It's mostly been added to of late by gifts, humble bundles, and gifts from humble bundles. But I try to play/finish them all, unless there's something inherently wrong with the game.

Thinking about buying Overwatch, as I have some friends who want to play it, but I'm waiting for the Amazon e3 promo again this year, for the large pre-order discount. Luckily e3 will predate the game by a week or two, so that'll work out. I'm getting Battleborn as well, but it will likely end up in an "Evolve" like situation, where I'll have it, I won't enjoy many mechanics of it, my friends never end up joining in, and I uninstall it two months down the road. It's the reason why I've partially enjoyed Rainbow Six Siege, knowing that I would have never gotten more than a few games into it if a friend hadn't bought it. So that's why I'm more excited about Overwatch, despite not knowing too much about either game.

I would probably be more interested in Legend of Grimrock, if I didn't have these JRPG dungeon crawlers that I've been meaning to beat on 3DS. Door Kickers seems like a cool game, and something I'd probably have already picked up if I wasn't so lukewarm on Hotline Miami. I know it's a different tactical experience, but it's something that has held me back from buying it thus far.

That Qvadriga game on the other hand is something I've never even heard of, and am actually surprised that someone has conceived of. A tactical top-down Roman Chariot racing game that looks like it came packaged with Windows 95. But damn if it isn't something that I want to actually play.

1 hour ago, Hat Trick Maker said:

The trilogy was for $3.79 US on Indie Gala (a bundle retailer like Humble Bundle) a few months back. Might happen again.

Yeah, It's a great price for an experience that I'd imagine has to last at least 40+ hours. I think I'm less and less sure with how I feel about the third game, but I enjoyed the whole experience nonetheless.

XCOM 2 coming out tomorrow btw. I was already hyped to all hell for it, and then the reviews came out, which have hyped the living hell out of it (91/100 on Metacritic atm.) Needless to say I'm even more hyped now. 

That'll probably be my entire weekend. Hell, it's reading break at college, so it'll probably be my entire week.

Just got XCOM 2. So happy that they actually shipped it with all the data of the game included. I know that sounds like an incredibly low bar thing to be satisfied with, but with so many companies half assing including the actual game with the purchase of the game to the point where I'm downloading 20/30 GB because of copy protection, or just general cheap-ass-ness, this works for me.

I ended up buying XCOM2. For some reason I figured it was also on PS4 so the only reason I was iffy about buying it was because it was using actual money.

But, it's PC exclusive and I have a bunch of cash in my Steam Wallet....so I just bought it. Looks like a game I'll love. It'll be awhile to download though so probably not playing it tonight.

Thot NFS Most Wanted for free! I remember that great game so went to get it and yup, I already had it. I seem to have a lot of games In my library I completely forgot about. Still picked up a couple batman games today. Our Telus Optik internet sucks here. Has to reconnect every few minutes. Will prob take forever to DL them

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

I ended up buying XCOM2. For some reason I figured it was also on PS4 so the only reason I was iffy about buying it was because it was using actual money.

But, it's PC exclusive and I have a bunch of cash in my Steam Wallet....so I just bought it. Looks like a game I'll love. It'll be awhile to download though so probably not playing it tonight.

Yeah, I was going to offer my thoughts, in particular because you asked for them.

But if you already bought the game, my job here is done, lol.

It's a good purchase though, you'll enjoy the game. It is only a PC exclusive for now, but if it's popular enough, I can see them porting it eventually for consoles. Strategy games by default are built for PC.

I'd say for a short summary, I really like the game. Soldier customization, and being able to create my favourites from my best XCOM EU campaigns to be incorporated into this new game, like my all time favourite Colonel (Amy) Sanders, is the best. Soldiers look and seem more human now.

It feels overly familiar in some ways, but the "ambush" hidden attack gimmick is my favourite change to the gamely, as it effects the game greatly, in a positive way. Adds an element of strategy in stealth to it. 

It's odd, because the biggest change of pace is... well, the increase in pace. I was so tempted to hide and inch my way through maps. You're really forced to throw your soldiers at the situation more now. No hiding, and no wasting turns. 

So yeah, loving it so far. 

Edited by g_bassi13

1 hour ago, g_bassi13 said:

Yeah, I was going to offer my thoughts, in particular because you asked for them.

But if you already bought the game, my job here is done, lol.

It's a good purchase though, you'll enjoy the game. It is only a PC exclusive for now, but if it's popular enough, I can see them porting it eventually for consoles. Strategy games by default are built for PC.

I'd say for a short summary, I really like the game. Soldier customization, and being able to create my favourites from my best XCOM EU campaigns to be incorporated into this new game, like my all time favourite Colonel (Amy) Sanders, is the best. Soldiers look and seem more human now.

It feels overly familiar in some ways, but the "ambush" hidden attack gimmick is my favourite change to the gamely, as it effects the game greatly, in a positive way. Adds an element of strategy in stealth to it. 

It's odd, because the biggest change of pace is... well, the increase in pace. I was so tempted to hide and inch my way through maps. You're really forced to throw your soldiers at the situation more now. No hiding, and no wasting turns. 

So yeah, loving it so far. 

I heard it's a lot harder this time around as well. I'm looking forward to, and also not looking forward to having to risk soldiers knowing they could die.

2 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I heard it's a lot harder this time around as well. I'm looking forward to, and also not looking forward to having to risk soldiers knowing they could die.

That's XCOM in a nutshell. You lose people. Unless you go back and load saves to avoid it. But played fairly you will. Especially if you have no XCOM experience to begin with.

They'll ease you in, for sure. Would help if you played Enemy Unkown, but they're operating under the assumption that many haven't even touched that.

Sometimes I head into missions with a designated sacrificial lamb. Can be a necessity, if the mission is hard enough. Sometimes I save my favourites, except for my most efficient, who I send out at any possibility.

One issue I have with the game, that I forgot to mention earlier, is that they took away the "Second Wave" options that they had in the first game, so you can't tweak certain mechanics, like the one making new soldiers generated with varying stats, or the one that greatly varies their growth potential. I hate it when every soldier starts with the same stats, and really only has the value you for whatever reason place on them. It's cool having great soldiers, as well as crap soldiers.

10 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

That's XCOM in a nutshell. You lose people. Unless you go back and load saves to avoid it. But played fairly you will. Especially if you have no XCOM experience to begin with.

They'll ease you in, for sure. Would help if you played Enemy Unkown, but they're operating under the assumption that many haven't even touched that.

Sometimes I head into missions with a designated sacrificial lamb. Can be a necessity, if the mission is hard enough. Sometimes I save my favourites, except for my most efficient, who I send out at any possibility.

One issue I have with the game, that I forgot to mention earlier, is that they took away the "Second Wave" options that they had in the first game, so you can't tweak certain mechanics, like the one making new soldiers generated with varying stats, or the one that greatly varies their growth potential. I hate it when every soldier starts with the same stats, and really only has the value you for whatever reason place on them. It's cool having great soldiers, as well as crap soldiers.

Played it for a couple of hours last night. I had my whole squad wiped out in like the 3rd mission. :lol: But it let me restart and the 2nd time it was only 1 new recruit that died.

I'm loving the game so far though. Definitely getting the hang of things now that I know what I'm doing.