The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

12 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Stay off steam folks.  There is something seriously wrong with their caching and your account's security is most likely compromised at the moment.  Just stay logged off until they say they've fixed it.

Sigh.

I read about this, it sounds really F***ing sketchy, people being logged into other peoples accounts for no reason....

On 23/12/2015 at 0:09 PM, CanuckianOne said:

Looks like this sale isn't having daily deals. The games in today's spotlight were the same price yesterday...

Yeah, makes the underwhelming deals seem even more underwhelming. But Steam sales have been trending downwards for a while. Almost seems inevitable this step would happen. Everything on my wishlist has been on sale for either the same price or cheaper already in the past.

Some of items I'd recommend still have a massive discount though. Like the entire Deponia trilogy for $6.50 CAD. Or just the first game for $1.09.

To pile on to my previous comment about how $&!# this Winter Steam sale was, The sale's ending, and I'm looking now at whether there's something there to scoop up before it ends. As of now I've bought nothing.

I went to my wishlist, and the top 6 games look like this. Sunless Sea is at 50%, which is nothing spectacular, but fine whatever. Not enough to convince me to buy it now, but it's not the worst discount. Tales of the Borderlands is only 66% off, which is the exact same discount they gave 3 months ago when the game finished it's episodic treatment. Freedom Planet is 35%, as a year and a half old game, that has received literally double the discount both during the Steam summer Sale, and independent of it, at 70% off. Undertale is only 20% off. Papers Please is only 60% as a 2 and half year old that has been on sale for far cheaper before. Eastside Hockey Manager has no discount at all.

That's what I'm looking at for my most wanted games. It's not better as I keep going down. Games marked at lesser discounts then in the past, too many to continue just listing them all. Even the one game I recommend every sale, Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, is now at the same price as when I bought it 3 freaking years ago during that 2012 winter sale, when it was only 2 months old (wasn't even a flash/daily sale, it was just the basic 2 week sale price. I missed that extra sale price.)

Some of these things are just incredibly misleading, like Wolfenstein the new order being $10, but that being "85%" off. The $67 dollar base price is incredibly silly, when the game dropped down to a base $40 way earlier last year, and that I bought the game off Amazon before Christmas for $15 for both myself, and to wrap up and gift to a friend. A price it was sitting at for over a month before I finally decided, meh, okay.

I mean not literally every item's price is $&!#, (some are at the best they've been) but these sales are getting so much worse on the whole now. I mentioned both last Winter and this last Summer (and last last summer) that they were giving smaller discounts, and they've gotten even smaller now. Also, without the daily deals to follow and take advantage of, they're even less impactful. I think I said something along the lines of how the trend showcased an basic trail/model. These bigger sales from previous years first create a base to convince people they need to come by offering something in a beneficial way, and then when those consumers have planted themselves into the idea of this sale, you can stop giving a $&!#. This is them not giving a $&!#. I know the discounts are decided on by the publishers, but they've decided on mass that they don't need to give people these discounts to get them to empty their wallets on a sale. And really the format for this sale and the general tone of it was obviously from Valve's part.

But to cut the cynicism and give some honest last second recommendations, Rogue Legacy at $2.54, Teslagrad at $2.19, and Shadowrun Dragonfall at $3.39 are all well worth it. That's some solid play for some minimal dollars.

• Upvote 1

Quick Review. Was gifted a game called Aviary Attorney. It's something I half want to recommend. I received it because it's known that I like Phoenix Wright, and this definitely is a poor man's Phoenix Wright. I say Poor Man's but luckily, it's nearly priced well enough to reflect that.

Basic gameplay issue is that it's overly simplistic. Easy to tie into what evidence you need, when to present it, and against what statements. Can't really see how/where people would fail. For a visual novel/puzzle/mystery, that's not a good basis for a game.

What it excels in is elements of its story, and the entirety of its setting. It's taking place during the uprising leading to the second French Republic, and the game centres around that rebellion and the such. At times it can be humorous (though it's always trying to be so), and some of the mystery/crime stuff is actually interesting (if not obvious, like mentioned above).

It would be an overall pass though if the game was complete, which has to be the biggest issue, because it's not. At least not entirely. There's 3 different paths for the 4th chapter, based on where your previous choice take you. Branch 4C is labelled "Coming soon", or some such crap. I don't know what it is supposed to entail, and whether I would have ended up there instead of being defaulted to 4B without its existence, but a game shouldn't be sold like this when it's not even finished its ending.

There's the bird/animal element as well, which I feel the need to bring up, because seriously, I have no idea why it exists, lol, It adds nothing to the game to make, other than that it adds personality stereotypes that make figuring out who wants what just that much more simplified in an idiots guide kind of way. Why make people into wolves/chickens/hounds and such? Why not just have people? It's an aesthetic choice that bothers me in its pointlessness. Is it a way to market, distinguish and sell the game? I guess, lol.

The game is good at its high points, but everything else I said about it is where the hesitation comes in with the recommendation.  Looking at the trailers, game page, and such will give you a good idea about whether you'd be interested. I bring up the game in the first place, because for whatever reason it wasn't an easy one to forget about.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

To pile on to my previous comment about how $&!# this Winter Steam sale was, The sale's ending, and I'm looking now at whether there's something there to scoop up before it ends. As of now I've bought nothing.

I went to my wishlist, and the top 6 games look like this. Sunless Sea is at 50%, which is nothing spectacular, but fine whatever. Not enough to convince me to buy it now, but it's not the worst discount. Tales of the Borderlands is only 66% off, which is the exact same discount they gave 3 months ago when the game finished it's episodic treatment. Freedom Planet is 35%, as a year and a half old game, that has received literally double the discount both during the Steam summer Sale, and independent of it, at 70% off. Undertale is only 20% off. Papers Please is only 60% as a 2 and half year old that has been on sale for far cheaper before. Eastside Hockey Manager has no discount at all.

That's what I'm looking at for my most wanted games. It's not better as I keep going down. Games marked at lesser discounts then in the past, too many to continue just listing them all. Even the one game I recommend every sale, Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, is now at the same price as when I bought it 3 freaking years ago during that 2012 winter sale, when it was only 2 months old (wasn't even a flash/daily sale, it was just the basic 2 week sale price. I missed that extra sale price.)

Some of these things are just incredibly misleading, like Wolfenstein the new order being $10, but that being "85%" off. The $67 dollar base price is incredibly silly, when the game dropped down to a base $40 way earlier last year, and that I bought the game off Amazon before Christmas for $15 for both myself, and to wrap up and gift to a friend. A price it was sitting at for over a month before I finally decided, meh, okay.

I mean not literally every item's price is $&!#, (some are at the best they've been) but these sales are getting so much worse on the whole now. I mentioned both last Winter and this last Summer (and last last summer) that they were giving smaller discounts, and they've gotten even smaller now. Also, without the daily deals to follow and take advantage of, they're even less impactful. I think I said something along the lines of how the trend showcased an basic trail/model. These bigger sales from previous years first create a base to convince people they need to come by offering something in a beneficial way, and then when those consumers have planted themselves into the idea of this sale, you can stop giving a $&!#. This is them not giving a $&!#. I know the discounts are decided on by the publishers, but they've decided on mass that they don't need to give people these discounts to get them to empty their wallets on a sale. And really the format for this sale and the general tone of it was obviously from Valve's part.

But to cut the cynicism and give some honest last second recommendations, Rogue Legacy at $2.54, Teslagrad at $2.19, and Shadowrun Dragonfall at $3.39 are all well worth it. That's some solid play for some minimal dollars.

I can't disagree with the fact Steam Winter & Summer sales aren't as good as they used to be.The fact that the base price on new AAA games has gone way up hasn't helped. Plus there is a real reluctance to lower said base price . It used to be just Activison mainly that would pull this kind of crap, but now other publishers are following suit.

I think the fact that the Steam userbase is so massive now they can get away with selling less at higher prices. Like GTA V which was $40+ Canadian was a top seller.

Refunds are the reason daily deals and flash sales are no longer around so I can't entirely blame them for that. Though I bet they are missing out on impulse buys because of it.

All that said, there are still some good deals. Just have to wade through the garbage, like early access games with small discounts, to find them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2016 at 0:48 AM, Templeton Peck said:

I can't disagree with the fact Steam Winter & Summer sales aren't as good as they used to be.The fact that the base price on new AAA games has gone way up hasn't helped. Plus there is a real reluctance to lower said base price . It used to be just Activison mainly that would pull this kind of crap, but now other publishers are following suit.

I think the fact that the Steam userbase is so massive now they can get away with selling less at higher prices. Like GTA V which was $40+ Canadian was a top seller.

Refunds are the reason daily deals and flash sales are no longer around so I can't entirely blame them for that. Though I bet they are missing out on impulse buys because of it.

All that said, there are still some good deals. Just have to wade through the garbage, like early access games with small discounts, to find them.

I mean it got to the point where Boxing Day sales for not only PC, but console games were outshining them.

Like I said, AAA games were just one thing, but the minute after the sale ended, there were at least 6 items that did one of three things. They went on sale for the same price they were on the winter sale, they went for cheaper than they were on the winter sale, or they went on sale despite not being on sale at all during the winter sale. 

It is a problem with the size of their userbase right now, so it's pretty much like I said, they don't have to try to convince anyone to come to these sales and use Steam anymore. Now that the people are here, they can begin to repeal what brought them there, because those people aren't leaving.

On a different note, there's a humble bundle out there for FMV games, for those that have nostalgia for such things (based on the way that new FMV games are fairly quietly received, and how multiple FMV reboot kickstarters have failed, not many). But There's a couple of decent new games, and a couple of classic ones available. It's bizarre, because all of the classic games are stuck to DRM in Steam form. yet the newer ones are for whatever reason DRM-free on GOG. It's supposed to be the other way around, but whatever. 

Her Story itself seems like a decent enough reason to get it for me, so tossing in everything else (like every Tex Murphy game) makes it likely easily worth the while.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

It's $5 US though, so with how much the CAD keeps dropping that's getting less and less appealing, lol (it's almost an extra 50% at this point).