The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

DOTA 2!! :D and some CS GO. I was always a hardcore PC Gamer growing up but now I'm more into my Xbox one. Sadly PC gets the short end of the stick for new games running like $&!# on the PC. Plus i hate having to get a new video card all the time. Really good ones are the price of my Xbox! Lame

On 04/02/2016 at 10:33 AM, Bigturk8 said:

I swapped all the cables, and tested the new PSU on my girlfriends computer, still nothing. This one's a doozy.

Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it!

I hooked up the power button from my girlfriends case to my MoBo and checked to make sure my heatsync was secure. I've checked out the step by step, and everything is pointing towards a faulty MoBo. I'm currently waiting for an e-mail back from the supplier to see if they will exchange it for another.

Thank you for the help!

You probably have a faulty MOBO. When i have issues i usually goto ncix.com and go on the forums. Most people are very helpful 

4 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

@g_bassi13, have you seen any famous names in XCOM2? I had an Ewan McGregor, and he was Scottish and sounded like him.

A famous person? No, I haven't stumbled upon that. I had the aforementioned Colonel Sanders in the game, but like I said, I created her and put her in the "character pool" to be potentially generated for a play through. 

It's weird though, because she was the best character I've had in that game, Taking miracle shots, and leaving no soldier behind. The perfect soldier. Also in Enemy Unknown, there was a "hero" soldier that emerges out of your pool, who has that psionic powers that can be unlocked. It's not too rare, or exclusive to one person, but it was quite perfect that she's the only one that had it in my first play through of the game. My favourite thing in this new game is bringing a version of her back from scratch.

The thing that is weird is that in this new game, despite zero connection to the previous one, she's again the best soldier I have, thrown the hardest into danger, dodging it all, and killing everything. Love the coincidence.

And I love this new character pool option.

8 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

A famous person? No, I haven't stumbled upon that. I had the aforementioned Colonel Sanders in the game, but like I said, I created her and put her in the "character pool" to be potentially generated for a play through. 

It's weird though, because she was the best character I've had in that game, Taking miracle shots, and leaving no soldier behind. The perfect soldier. Also in Enemy Unknown, there was a "hero" soldier that emerges out of your pool, who has that psionic powers that can be unlocked. It's not too rare, or exclusive to one person, but it was quite perfect that she's the only one that had it in my first play through of the game. My favourite thing in this new game is bringing a version of her back from scratch.

The thing that is weird is that in this new game, despite zero connection to the previous one, she's again the best soldier I have, thrown the hardest into danger, dodging it all, and killing everything. Love the coincidence.

And I love this new character pool option.

I've already had my whole squad die off, and I'm in a mission right now where I'm finding it really difficult. Raiding this ADVENT base and you have to obtain this liquid green stuff. There's a turret on the base, and also one of those white mechs. I just keep dying no matter what I do, and I just keep reloading a save because I'm tired of starting from scratch and having to wait all those days to recruit more because I have no money.

But yeah, I had Ewan McGregor. He had a UK voice and sounded like him too. It was odd. Did no editing whatsoever.

25 minutes ago, Nail3738 said:

It's disappointing that they it was Golden Axe I instead of II, because I actually really like Golden Axe II, but a free game is a free game I suppose. Don't have any desire to really play old console games on my computer, let alone to pay for them, but to just add them for free to my library is nothing to complain about.

Jet Set Radio is a cool Dreamcast game to check out, if you've never had the chance. Haven't played in forever, but it's probably going to feel pretty dated, though.

I have no idea what Sega's Valentine gimmick here is, but does implying that it's prize 1 mean there's more to come? Because again, that would be cool.

On 17/02/2016 at 4:31 PM, g_bassi13 said:

It's disappointing that they it was Golden Axe I instead of II, because I actually really like Golden Axe II, but a free game is a free game I suppose. Don't have any desire to really play old console games on my computer, let alone to pay for them, but to just add them for free to my library is nothing to complain about.

Jet Set Radio is a cool Dreamcast game to check out, if you've never had the chance. Haven't played in forever, but it's probably going to feel pretty dated, though.

I have no idea what Sega's Valentine gimmick here is, but does implying that it's prize 1 mean there's more to come? Because again, that would be cool.

Sega is tricksy.  Sega is false!

On 2016-02-17 at 4:31 PM, g_bassi13 said:

Apparently, SEGA want our email addresses.

http://www.makewarnotlove.com/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbWsgFmWIAECoyd.png

It kinda sucks that Alpha Protocol isn't free...and I have yet to receive my keys they promised.

Oh, and I'll get back to your earlier reply once I have the time, g_bassi13

1 hour ago, Hat Trick Maker said:

Apparently, SEGA want our email addresses.

http://www.makewarnotlove.com/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbWsgFmWIAECoyd.png

It kinda sucks that Alpha Protocol isn't free...and I have yet to receive my keys they promised.

Oh, and I'll get back to your earlier reply once I have the time, g_bassi13

They're not getting my email, lol. That's stupid. Since this thread has been hot with free games, I was going to list a new Humble Bundle free release this week with Stronghold Kingdoms, but I opted not to when I found out the hoops you had to go through. First you have to create a Humble Bundle account. Then you have to link it to your Steam Account. Then you have to agree to subscribe to the stupid newsletters from the game's Publisher/Developer to your email in order to get the game itself. If it wasn't something I'd do myself, I figure it's not something I'd recommend to others.

Streets of Rage II is legit one of my favourite games of all time though. My favourite on the Genesis. I've probably beaten it near 40-50 times by now. But like Golden Axe I don't see the purpose of acquiring the game on a platform like Steam or the such. If I really wanted to play it on PC, everyone has access to emulators. You're not exactly supporting the developers or the series by feeding SEGA money for a 25 year old game ported from a 16 bit console.

Binary Domain I own. Purchased it for like $5 when I was in India, where you could buy these types of games off the shelf from a distribution chain that sold bargain/economic releases. This was less than a year after the game came out, and it was still a waste of $5. it's such garbage, on PC at least. The game doesn't even work. I think they released one patch for it on PC a year after it came out, and it only fractionally began to solve the issues. Like the fact that it failed to fix that the game has "controller support" that doesn't support controllers says something. It's still completely unplayable, and forget the fact that it's free, it's still not worth the bandwidth it takes to download it. Might have been a cool game, but I have no idea, I still can't play it.

Alpha Protocol was pretty fun. Amazing premise, but with glitchy, unpolished, and frankly unfinished execution. It was completely rushed out by SEGA before Obsidian was done with it. But the cool ideas and the development problems balance out into a somewhat playable game from an objective standpoint. I'm just incredibly biased towards the concept, because there's no spy game out there like it that incorporates a Mass Effect style like it does. And it takes it further with how it handles certain elements of hard choices, and dialogue mechanics. Just a shame it never took off, so there was no support provided from SEGA to polish the game with any patches, nor was there any promise for what could have been a great sequel.

But Alpha Protocol for $4? I bought it for that price about 4 years ago. Not a deal of any kind, let alone something to include alongside free games as some sort of equivalent. Go to any EB games and pick it up for PS3 or 360 for even cheaper out of the bargain bins, lol.

Both those games I mentioned speak to what I meant earlier about SEGA being a $&!# publisher. If you make the mistake of buying one of their broken games, they offer zero support to fix it. Hell, for me to even install Alpha Protocol is backwards as hell. It comes with some Bull$&!# DRM system that requires an online activation from SEGA... except SEGA took down the servers that acknowledged the activation because the game failed to sell (again, zero support for the game after release). So people who bought their game couldn't even play it out of the box. They released a work around on one of their help websites, which was essentially a crack that worked around the DRM, but it only worked for people who bought the game in North America. I had to comb online websites to find a shady crack that worked for the Asian release.

edit: Apparently Binary Domain has 88% approval on Steam reviews. God that's a useless system when an actually fleshed out, but underwhelming, game like Civilization Beyond Earth can barely crack 50%. Even XCOM 2 was barely hovering over 70%. But apparently a barely thought out, poorly executed, and even worse ported game like Binary Domain can get nearly 9/10 people's approval, lol. I suppose it's like metacritic's user review section.

Edited by g_bassi13

On 2/9/2016 at 9:31 PM, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

DOTA 2!! :D and some CS GO. I was always a hardcore PC Gamer growing up but now I'm more into my Xbox one. Sadly PC gets the short end of the stick for new games running like $&!# on the PC. Plus i hate having to get a new video card all the time. Really good ones are the price of my Xbox! Lame

All the time? If you invest in a high end one you're solid for years. I actually only just replaced my GTX 560 that was still running most games fine with the exception of Witcher 3.

On 2/20/2016 at 0:42 PM, Winter Soldier said:

All the time? If you invest in a high end one you're solid for years. I actually only just replaced my GTX 560 that was still running most games fine with the exception of Witcher 3.

Poor optimization.  Lies from game devs and publishers.  Plenty of blame to go around.

Did anyone play the Division open beta? What were your impressions? I have been excited then disappointed then excited then disappointed again in this game and didnt have free time this weekend to play the beta. Not sure what to think right now so looking for anyones input on it. The rest of the interwebz seemed mixed (maybe more positive) on the beta's.

Kind of disappointed in the lack of voice options for international soldiers in XCOM 2. I thought it was one of the glaring omissions from the first game, one which they still failed to remedy with their expansion that was supposed to address it (as there were like 10 options for Polish voices for some reason, but not a single one from Asia. Not Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Farsi, or any language from India.)

Here, they took a step down from that Enemy Within Expansion. Still no Asian language of any kind, and even less European ones. It's jarring when anyone other than Canadian/American soldiers speak with that default accent/language.

I'm hoping that people use modding tools to remedy this. People seem to be using them to implement Mass Effect crew and other random voices, but no one seems to be focussed on something that could improve a hole in the game (I understand recruiting voice actors for volunteer work is not simple though.) Should be Firaxis/2K's job though, not the fans.

An absolutely great game regardless (pick it up if you can), just pointing out this odd continual omission.

8 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Kind of disappointed in the lack of voice options for international soldiers in XCOM 2. I thought it was one of the glaring omissions from the first game, one which they still failed to remedy with their expansion that was supposed to address it (as there were like 10 options for Polish voices for some reason, but not a single one from Asia. Not Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Farsi, or any language from India.)

Man, they still didn't fix that? Oof.

6 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Man, they still didn't fix that? Oof.

Yeah. I understand it's not that cheap to hire voice actors to record these clips, even if they're short. But it's a small cost for a lot of immersion that could/should be there.

On 2/28/2016 at 3:09 PM, g_bassi13 said:

Yeah. I understand it's not that cheap to hire voice actors to record these clips, even if they're short. But it's a small cost for a lot of immersion that could/should be there.

I mean, if you've got to localize the game in other languages anyways, I don't think it a huge deal to have one male and one female do some accent work. 

Deponia 4, coming from literally out of nowhere with their announcement. Apparently they announced it 5 days ago, for a release today. Ridiculously excited for this. I just wish it didn't cost $40 for the game on Steam. Like I paid less than that to import all 3 games from the UK and Germany, with posters and extras. And the trilogy has been available for absurdly less on sale on multiple occasions since (The whole trilogy is still the same price at full retail). I don't even think they have such a retail copy for this game available yet, if it will ever be. (There's not even a pre-order)

But all that said, I can't wait to actually play it. I thought this game was year's off, with no hint that it was actually even going to exist known before 5 days ago. I mean the last one ended vague and unsatisfactorily enough that you would eventually expect it, but this publisher keeps a very detailed list of future and Work in progress titles. So it was just a surprise, for the sake of saying surprise. Which is pretty cool, at least.