Draft Ritchie

Canucks 2015

Shinkaruk/Daniel Stasny Jensen

Ritchie/Daniel Henrik Kassian

Horvat Couturier Laughton

Burrows Gaunce Santorelli

Richardson Matthias

(7 Centers in the bottom 6)

Not knocking this but not sure Peg gives up a 3rd for Booth at this point, sure he looked solid but his cap is still 4.2

Also is that a NYI 2014 2nd or 2015 2nd? That would make a large difference as NYI is forking over their 1st to buffalo next year so in a deep draft not sure they would want to forgo a 1st & 2nd.

As for the trade I think that is overpayment by Vancouver. Sure Couturier is a solid player right now but Kesler has done more than he has in the league & is signed to a really team friendly deal for the next 2 seasons. I think I have read here that Laughton projects to be 3rd line C / tweener 2nd line C we kind of have 2 guys in the system that potentially project to be just that (Horvat, Guance). I do think Horvat will be a legit 2nd line C in the NHL and hopefully Guance can be a solid 3rd line C that pushes Horvat to be even better.

Not sure this really improves the overall club (also not sure giving Statsny 1st line minutes over Henrik makes sense). I also can't see Richardson or Matthais being used as healthy scratches and Santorelli being a 4th liner (to me he is the perfect 3rd line player). Canucks would be smart to let Horvat & Shinkaruk take their time and then bring them into the lineup instead of rushing them.

Vancouver needs solid legit top 6 talent (hopefully Shinkaruk & Horvat are the start of young skill players coming up). Tweeners are okay if they fill up your 3rd line and fill in if a top 6 guy gets hurt but when they are more often than not in your top 6 you know your skill isn't overly high.

Couterier is a non-starter, will never happen. Stastny at 7million a year? Are you fricken kidding? Guys like you would be the first ones on here in December saying, "I cant believe benning paid 7 million for him". No way, awful proposals. Here is something that is more realistic:

1). Kesler to philly for Schenn bros.

2). Tanev, Gaunce our 6th overall for Florida's first overall. Draft Reinhart.

3). Sign UFA - Ryan miller 2 year 8million (incredibly soft goalie market this summer)

4). Sign - Steve Ott 2 year 5.5 million, sign Santorelli 1 year deal at 1.5m.

5). Buyout Booth.

Stasty will probably be looking for a 6-7 year deal on the open market which means he's signed until 35 years old. If this team is trying to get younger they need to avoid this long UFA contracts and give room for there young guys to grow.

Stastny's salary last year was already $6.6 million. Going to $7.0 million would not be huge to him.

Colorado has $25 million in cap space. Why do people think "just sign him" will work? Colorado can offer more than anything we can throw at him (And we don't have cap space next year), and I'm pretty sure if Colorado offered him $6.0 million, that's more attractive playing with MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, etc. than with a rebuilding Canucks right now.

Try to help me make sense of the 1st trade:

Couturier + 2nd > Kes

Laughton >>>>>> Higgins

Y does Philly do this?

Hell, even Couturier alone is probably better than Kes since he's not injury prone and still can improve.

Your undervaluing of Kesler is getting quite annoying really.

Your undervaluing of Kesler is getting quite annoying really.

ES-PPG_Kesler-Schenn-Couturier.jpg

^Don't mind the guys typo at the bottom on Couturier's name. Also keep in mind last season for Kesler could be a bit padded as he only had a 17 game margin.

Couturier plays the toughest minutes in hockey. He is exclusively matched up against opposing teams top lines and he is a workhorse on the PK playing over 3 minutes a game (1 more minute than Kesler averages). All of this while getting 2 less minutes of PP time per game than Kesler. Yet, Couturier scored 4 less points.

Couturier is also only 21 and still growing into a 6'4 frame. Drafted in the 180's pound range his weight is now nearing 200 as he starts to show more of an ability to use his strength.

Couturier is basically like a younger version of Kesler but is already on the verge of passing him. He is already better defensively and on the verge of being a Selke Finalist and he isn't far behind offensively but could easily explode past Ryan any season now given his development and improvement he has shown in his offensive awareness.

Sean is hardly a mystery risk prospect. At this point he is the real deal and only getting better. This may not be Kesler being underrated as much as it is you are underrating Couturier.

I'd be okay with a trade built around Kesler + for Couts + Akeson (we'd get two-thirds of a potential scoring line), heck a one-for-one would be acceptable. However, as others have mentioned I don't see the need for yet another two-way center aside from Sean when we already have Horvat and probably Gaunce and Matthias for the future.

I'd agree though that the Flyers know of Sean's value, otherwise they wouldn't have taken him so early in the draft, put him against such tough opponents and have him higher up in their lineup than even Brayden Schenn.

Couterier is a non-starter, will never happen. Stastny at 7million a year? Are you fricken kidding? Guys like you would be the first ones on here in December saying, "I cant believe benning paid 7 million for him". No way, awful proposals. Here is something that is more realistic:

1). Kesler to philly for Schenn bros.

2). Tanev, Gaunce our 6th overall for Florida's first overall. Draft Reinhart.

3). Sign UFA - Ryan miller 2 year 8million (incredibly soft goalie market this summer)

4). Sign - Steve Ott 2 year 5.5 million, sign Santorelli 1 year deal at 1.5m.

5). Buyout Booth.

Lol those 4 transaction are turruble

Kesler Higgins Canucks 2nd --- Couturier, Scott Laughton

Booth, WPG 3rd

Hansen, NYI 2nd

Sign Stasny to a huge deal 7 mil.

Willie Desjardins.

Sign Kassian

Tanev

Weber

Santorelli

Draft Ritchie

Canucks 2015

Shinkaruk/Daniel Stasny Jensen

Ritchie/Daniel Henrik Kassian

Horvat Couturier Laughton

Burrows Gaunce Santorelli

Richardson Matthias

(7 Centers in the bottom 6)

Love it, get it done. It is imparitive we get a center who can play vs the big centers of the west in the trade for Kes even if it takes other players and/or prospects from us. I can totally see us throwing a huge offer at Stasny or Callahan, similar to what was offered to Sundin.

Archived