The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pittsburgh Penguins narrow coaching search down to two candidates; Desjardins not an option

Sounds like Pens lost out on Desjardins, and will continue looking for a new coach next week.

General manager Jim Rutherford still is searching for the Penguins' next head coach.

His top target turned down the chance to inherit a perennial high-payroll playoff team led by former MVPs Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin — albeit one that ownership publicly said has underachieved by not returning to the Stanley Cup Final since 2009.

“The guy I had is going in a different direction,” Rutherford said Friday, adding he would take the weekend to “sort some things out.”

Rutherford declined to identify his choice for coach, but team and league sources told the Tribune-Review that man was

Willie Desjardins, a hot commodity after leading the AHL's Texas Stars to the Calder Cup this past season.

Rutherford said the coaching search will resume Monday, and candidates will include those who did not interview this week.

“I'll work off the same list I had, but it will be expanded by two or three names that for whatever reason weren't considered for interviews the last time,” Rutherford said. “We need somebody that wants to be here and really wants to win.”

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6319254-74/rutherford-coach-nhl#ixzz35D5Yh8C1

Sounds like Pens lost out on Desjardins, and will continue looking for a new coach next week.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6319254-74/rutherford-coach-nhl#ixzz35D5Yh8C1

I suspect that Desjardin took one look at the disfunction in Pitt and couldn't get the airport fast

enough! Jim Rutherford? I mean are we talking Jim Rutherford? Seriously?

Archived