The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] That's right... A line up thread

Elvis, I searched for a line up thread and felt that I put enough effort into this to not put it into

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/360825-how-we-should-build-this-team-from-top-to-bottom/?hl=%2Bline+%2Bup

Now, back to our show.

Make Anaheim bleed for Kesler.

10th 24th Etem for Kesler

Anaheim gets one of the best 2 way centres in the league that is a PK machine, great on the PP and can take defensive draws.

Vancouver gets to restock the cupboards while opening some cap space.

Sedin 7M Sedin 7M Moulson 5.5M - 19.5M**fixed**

Moulson played well with Tavares. So it makes perfect sense for him to play well with 2 of the best passers in the game. If Burr could succeed with the Sedins, there is no reason why Moulson couldn't be even better. For 5.5M I think we could see Moulson pot 35+G and be around 60-75 points. Not bad. It would also help rejuvenate a stale line up.

Higgins 2.5M Stastny 6.6M Kassian 1.5M - 10.6M

Stastny IS the only real replacement for Kesler on the market, so Benning is going to have to spend big to get him locked up for at least 2-3 years(When Horvat can rightfully take the 2C). The issue with this is his line mates. Higgins is a exceptional 3rd liner and a medicore 2nd liner, he's not what you would call a top 6 forward on contending teams. The same issue with Kassian, he's not a top 6 forward on most teams. He has flashes of brilliance, and probably will make the top 6 in a year or 2 (hopefully this year) but for now, that line is still 3 2 3, but could be 3 2 2.

Burrows 4.25M Matthias 1.75M Etem 883K - 6.883M

Fast, strong and dirty, a great third line. Etem has been putting up decent numbers for Anahiem in short stints, it makes sense to give him a chance with decent line mates. Matthias was brought here to fill our 3rd C woes and that he will do, no brainer. Burrows has to prove he can play with the Sedins better than Moulson... If he can, that's fantastic, bump Moulson to the 2nd line and bump Kassian to the 3rd, all that means is depth. It's a strong 3rd line on a quite a few teams.

Santorelli 1.25M Richardson 1.15M Hansen 2.5M - 4.90M

It makes perfect sense to re-sign Santorelli for 750k-1M. He's a work horse that is coming at a HUGE discount. IF he puts up numbers like last year, amazing, you have yourself the best contract in the NHL from a GM point of view. If he doesn't? Oh well, he'll probably still get 15-20 points and be a PK workhorse that can take defensive draws. It's a low risk high reward signing. All 3 of these players are capable of being 3rd liners. This is the best 4th line in the NHL.

Sestito 750k

Edler 5M Tanev 4M 9M
Hamhuis 4.5M Garrison 4.6M 9.1M Though I hope Garrison gets traded allowing for the signing of a PMD
Bieksa 4.6M Stanton 550K 5.15M
Weber 715k

Lack 1.15M - 2.35M
Markstrom 1.2M

68.365M/71.1M

Leaving 2.635M open with 8,333k in AVG bonuses.

Other options can include Shinkaruk/Horvat/Jensen/Corrado cracking the line up. With trading Hansen/Garrison/Schroeder that could open room for younger players. Personally I would like Shinkaruk and Horvat have another year in the minors while hopefully Jensen can make the team in the top 6 and be effective. If Santo can produce in the top 6 awesome! The lower we bump Higgins and Burrows the better this team will be.

We are spending straight to cap with this team, but I feel this team could produce big numbers and allow for a retool rather than rebuild while still restocking the cupboards.

Prospect Pool.

Horvat
Shinkaruk
Etem
3 2014 1st rounds.(2 top 10) -
(just examples of what we could get)

Virtanen
Fleury
Lemeuix
Cassels
Corrado
Jensen
Gaunce
Grenier
Tommernes
Subban
2015 1st round

I really hope that this is a direction that Benning steps as it could bode well for the fans. You see the Canucks return to that high goal scoring PP monster while adding youth to the roster and building prospects.

2015-2016 season is when you'd likely see Horvat/Shinkaruk etc. become mainstays on the the team.

***************EDIT

A mistake in the math was pointed out 22.5M 1st line reduced to 19.5M and raises give to Tanev and Santorelli, also cap room available to give more to Stastny if he needs more to come here (7M)

Moulson wont sign for less than 6 million and Statsny is looking for a raise from his previous 6.6 salary... so I'd say he'd ask for at least 7 million from any team other not named the Avs.

To be honest I would rather not even sign Moulson so we can give our younger guys like Jensen or Shinkaruk a spot.

I'd love Statsny to replace Kesler tho.

LOL at the first line. How dare thee not ask the mighty Elvis for a blessing before starting thy thread ?!?!?

Honestly I'm a fan of the line up you have. I wish we could move Garrison or Hamhuis but it probably won't happen. Benning HAS to make a change in defense... maybe we could package Kesler with garrison or Hamhuis to maximize a return.

doubt Santo would sign that cheap though... If he does it would be amazing.

Moulson wont sign for less than 6 million and Statsny is looking for a raise from his previous 6.6 salary... so I'd say he'd ask for at least 7 million from any team other not named the Avs.

To be honest I would rather not even sign Moulson so we can give our younger guys like Jensen or Shinkaruk a spot.

I'd love Statsny to replace Kesler tho.

Our issue is clear... scoring. There were games where we would have won if we could have scored.

Add scoring and we don't lose to the Islanders 7-5, we bury them 8-0. We don't lose in OT to the Ducks, we beat them by 1-2 goals. We don't lose in OT to the Kings... we beat them also by 1-2 goals.

There were so many games where I was just sitting there waiting for the goal that never happened. Moulson brings that to the table.

Stastny won't get 7M from any team, though I do think that Moulson could be aquired for less than 5.5M.

A replacement for Santo on the 4th is S. Thornton. He is a key player on the Boston 4th line. He brings more to the table than goonery.

If we were to get rid of Kesler and bring in Statsny our defense 5 on 5 and the PK would take a major hit. Guys like Crosby, Giroux, Tavares etc would end up having bigger games against us than in the past. This is simply because of zero shut-down ability. Nonetheless, it would make Canucks hockey more entertaining, considering the offense boost.

Why wouldn't the Ducks just sign Stasny and keep their assets. Or, get ROR if they want a 2 way fwd for less of a price since he's waaaaaaay better than Kesler.

The Ducks won't sign Spezza or Stastny because they aren't lacking a top 6 scoring centre. They are lacking a 2 way machine that can soak up all the defensive draws while still being able to put pucks in the net. In turn that allows their top C to play a more offensive game and get more prime time minutes. Defense is the best offense.

R'O'R isn't leaving Colorado, especially if Stastny is.

It makes sense for Colorado to let Stastny go, it opens cap space for a top tier vet D.

Jussi Jokinen is another option for Vancouver in place of Moulson. Leave Burr on the top line bump Higgins down and make our 2nd line

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Jokinen Statsny Kassian.

Higgins Matthias Etem

Santorelli Richardson Hansen

Only issue is you're hoping Burrows can still score, if not you have yourself a problem... You'll have Burrows playing bottom 6 with Hansen in the skybox hoping Kassian/Jensen can take the place on the 1st line.

If we were to get rid of Kesler and bring in Statsny our defense 5 on 5 and the PK would take a major hit. Guys like Crosby, Giroux, Tavares etc would end up having bigger games against us than in the past. This is simply because of zero shut-down ability. Nonetheless, it would make Canucks hockey more entertaining, considering the offense boost.

I'm not saying this wins a cup, I'm saying this entertains the fans and gets up us to the play-offs. The owners win and the fans win while giving this team a future outside of bottom feeding.

I wish we could move Garrison or Hamhuis but it probably won't happen.

Benning HAS to make a change in defense... maybe we could package Kesler with garrison or Hamhuis to maximize a return.

Not sure the hometown boys should leave as they gave up $$ to sign here.

Bieksa is a Canuck for life and bleeds blue n green so he is staying.

That leaves Edler -undervalued- and Tanev.

Tanev may be a chip because Eddie is not lighting the world on fire with return value at present or movement in his clause.

We need a puck moving juggernaut on the back end to solidify the PP and first line capabilities even handed.

GMJB was an NHL d man with offensive skills exhibited early in his career so I am betting he may have an eye for what we need and will try his best to fill it.

Not sure the hometown boys should leave as they gave up $$ to sign here.

Bieksa is a Canuck for life and bleeds blue so he is staying.

That leaves Edler -undervalued- and Tanev.

Tanev is the chip because Eddie is not lighting the world on fire with return value at present or movement in his clause.

We need a puck moving juggernaut on the back end to solidify the PP and first line capabilities even handed.

GMJB was an NHL d man with offensive skills exhibited early in his career so I am betting he has an eye for what we need and will fill it.

Agreed Bieksa goes no where, but Edler isn't waiving.

Looking now, did Garrison really take a discount? Tanev was our best D-man last year and Garrison isn't the PP QB he was suppose to be. He has a same "salary" as players like Doughty (in this current year) and is not performing on par with them.

I think Garrison is getting about what he's worth, if not too much.

I see Garrison in a supporting PP role but so is KB,Eddie and Hammer.

The team needs a first line PP pivot and somebody would have to move on from the top 4.

I just hope that if Tanev is moved it is conjunction with Kes or another player in return for that capable d man that is the missing link.

Agreed Bieksa goes no where, but Edler isn't waiving.

Looking now, did Garrison really take a discount? Tanev was our best D-man last year and Garrison isn't the PP QB he was suppose to be. He has a same "salary" as players like Doughty (in this current year) and is not performing on par with them.

I think Garrison is getting about what he's worth, if not too much.

Yes he could have been making 5-6mil on any other team but chose us for a lil less (may not be what he's actually worth but its FA) he was the second most popular dman in that FA next to suter.

Good thoughts.

I doubt that Benning will chase 2 free agents. Stastny would be nice but I think he'll be going for crazy money.

The reason given for buying out Booth was that management couldn't justify spending over $4M on a bottom 6 forward. For that reason, Burrows will be top 6 or nowhere.

Higgins needs to play on the 3rd line. He will have impact there.

I like that you have all those prospects remaining in junior or the AHL for at least half a year. It's what they need to develop and what I think Benning will actually do (since he was rushed to play in the NHL in his own career).

Archived