The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

So....did Miller win a cup with his last team? No? How about the one before that? No?

So....why do some people on here want him?

I want someone who can score goals not a goalie at the end of his career...

Hello???? Anyone remember some other guys the Canucks signed at the end of their careers and how well they did here? Messier? Sundin?

Good grief people.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Remember what Sundin did for the Sedins?

I do.

Also Trevor Linden never won a cup so why would we want him helping to build the team. Right?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. The owner of the Sabres was personally offering Miller a decent sized raise on the 6.25 million/yr. he was already making before he was traded to St. Louis. He declined the offer because he wanted to go to free agency and try to go to an immediate Stanley Cup contender. Now after a poor performance in St. Louis, Miller has lost out on millions and millions of dollars, and will end up retiring before he has a chance to get a cup. Had he stayed a Sabre he would have been playing for a team that in 3 years time will be a powerhouse.

Moral(s) of the story:

1. Owners should stay the heck out of negotiations and let their GM's decide who stays and who goes. A huge Miller salary would have come back to bite the Sabres.

2. If you're a player that's past your prime, take the freakin' huge pile of money that you are offered.

Now by the time that the Canucks are ready to seriously contend for a cup, Lack will be the starter. The Sabres dodged a serious bullet.

Miller is worth 3 yrs. @ 5 mill./yr. because he's a very serviceable goalie, but his hope of winning a cup died with St. Louis' first round exit.

What if that's not the important thing to him?

What if that's not the important thing to him?

That's my point. He wanted to go for a cup. Now by the time the Canucks are good enough to contend he will be put out to pasture and lack will be the #1 goalie.

Now he will go cupless and will be millions of dollars lighter. Sounds like a win for the Canucks and a loss for Miller....

Didn't Miller kill it for awhile when he got traded to STL? Whats with all the hate?

At first he did super, but halfway through his performance took a nosedive. Then after he let in a few soft goals in the playoffs against Chicago his stock crashed.

Canucks should really be in:"playing to lose" mode next year. One Conner Mcdavid or Jack Eichel can reset this franchise to a contender instantly. Miller might help them making the playoffs next year, but Miller won't get them past first round. So, is it worth it to spend so much on a 33 year old?

Canucks should really be in:"playing to lose" mode next year. One Conner Mcdavid or Jack Eichel can reset this franchise to a contender instantly. Miller might help them making the playoffs next year, but Miller won't get them past first round. So, is it worth it to spend so much on a 33 year old?

I really doubt any team does that dude, even if you're as bad as the Buffalo Sabres... the goal is to make the playoffs and take it from there because anything can happen once you're in. And if that was the case we'd just ask the Sedins to waive their no trade clauses and tell them we are tanking so there's no point in them sticking around.

Conclusion : It just does not work like that in the NHL.

Cheers bro

Who exactly would we sign for long term for 5 million?

I don't think we should be signing any long term players right now.

Don't always agree with you Deniro but do here. I don't get the downside to this move pending term isn't more than 3 years (I for one want 2 with a big more on avg. salary). I dont want Andrew Raycroft 2.0 with Lack.

If we want to change our results we need to change the attitude in the room. Please please please, Canucks - don't bring in any more pouty players.

He would be coming here knowing that crap ain't gonna fly. People need to have some confidence in Trevor and JB here until proven otherwise.

I watched some highlights he's decent. And we're not the NJ Devils so that shouldn't be a problem right? :P

Here's one to watch if anyone's interested:

Enjoy!!!

Wow nice! Excellent patience and composure. And best of all, no belly flops! (jk)

Despite his price, Ryan Miller is an absolute gift to the Canucks if we can get him for 2 or 3 years while gradually giving Lack more and more opportunities.

We have the cash and although many people want Hiller for a cheaper price I really don't see them as comparable goalies.

Miller's downfall with the Blues came with injuries and a team that crawled their way into the playoffs despite an amazing ~70ish game record.

Miller is a franchise goalie and would definitely compliment this team.

Man.. some fans really want to start Eddlie Lack, when Ryan Miller is available? god some people are delusional.. thats why Benning is the GM and the fans aren't.

This. I love Eddie but he isn't ready for the starting role yet.

I like how everyone just assumes the Sedins are done if they have a bounce back year and the Canucks sign some top 6 forwards, veterans or not, this team is a playoff team and I feel better with Miller in net in the playoffs than Lack. If Miller gets hot anything could happen. I believe that's exactly what JB is thinking rebuild this team and at the same time compete.

Archived