The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Limit to noise from someone's A/C?

My landlords just turned on their air conditioning today and it's ridiculously loud. I'm seriously considering moving out if it's not fixed. Does anyone know if there's some sort of limit to how loud these things can be? This craps gotta be borderline illegal noise levels and it doesn't turn off , it stops for like 10 mins max then goes right back at it.

I've never heard an AC this loud, I'm sure our neighbors hate it too. Is there anything that I can do? Report it to someone to have the noise levels checked or something? To top things off I'm in the basement suite and not only does the AC have no effect on the temperature in my place, it's literLly right outside my living room window so I can't even open them to try to get cool air while I'm boiling up inside or I'll have to hear their AC cooling them down.

I gotta get the guck out of here!

My landlords just turned on their air conditioning today and it's ridiculously loud. I'm seriously considering moving out if it's not fixed. Does anyone know if there's some sort of limit to how loud these things can be? This craps gotta be borderline illegal noise levels and it doesn't turn off , it stops for like 10 mins max then goes right back at it.

I've never heard an AC this loud, I'm sure our neighbors hate it too. Is there anything that I can do? Report it to someone to have the noise levels checked or something? To top things off I'm in the basement suite and not only does the AC have no effect on the temperature in my place, it's literLly right outside my living room window so I can't even open them to try to get cool air while I'm boiling up inside or I'll have to hear their AC cooling them down.

I gotta get the guck out of here!

Anytime my old landlord's kids made too much noise I would grab my hockey stick and keep butt-ending the wall until they shut up.

City of Vancouver just requires it not be an "unreasonable disturbance". Judging by you considering moving out, I'd say that counts.

Phone the city and ask for a noise reading if you're looking for bylaw to back your case... Or just try talking to the landlord if you're on good terms. Involve the neighbours if you have to as well!

Edit: found the numbers on the City of Van site:

Mon - Sat

7:00am - 10:00pm (daytime): 55 - 70 decibels

10:00pm - 7:00am (nighttime): 45 - 65 decibels

Sun/Holidays

10:00am - 10:00pm (daytime): 55 - 70 decibels

10:00pm - 10:00am (nighttime): 45 - 65 decibels

For comparison, 45-65 (according to decibel charts), is somewhere on between a whisper and face to face conversation, which isn't all that quiet.

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/mechanical-equipment.aspx

The other alternative, not that I would ever condone this, is... Well, I'm sure they would have to get a new one if this one mysteriously broke!

have you talked to the landlord about it, what do they say on the subject?

Totally agree. OP's approach to this is some serious passive-aggressiveness. You are mad enough to move without even letting your landlord know that it is loud and disturbs you. Most times people are completely unaware that they are doing something that bothers their neighbours/tenants because no one tells them! They likely can't hear the noise because they have the windows closed.

If you confront them and they tell you tough luck, find a new place that values a tenant a little more.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try talking to them about it and maybe the neighbors as well but from past experiences they get a bit defensive about the design flaws of their house and it's basically a tough luck situation it seems. Their AC is do bloody loud they'd have to be retarded to not realize it's bugging people, especially me but you're right, they will play dumb till I bring it up.

Windows unit or outside unit? Could be a design issue. However, just because you hear buzzing outside your window does not mean it is too loud even if it is annoying.

Where I live it was only 33 here with 95% humidity. We have central air conditioning and I love it. The unit is located outside one of our bedrooms. If you are on that side of the house you will hear the hum. Having a ceiling fan minimizes the sound.

Archived