The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huge fireball meteor [ite] over Vancouver

I once saw a meteor like that, or whatever it was,..about 5 years ago, go through & light-up the Abbotsford sky. It crossed over nearly half the viewed sky, as I stood in an open field... and it was bright orangy yellow as it streaked by,...before disappearing from view behind a building. I couldn't tell if it had faded away or made contact with the ground somewhere. There was no sound. My first thought was that it was a piece of falling space junk or debries, like an aging satellite or something. Very creepy & alarming.

Was it anything like that?

Didn't see it, but it's all over the news.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1514776/fireball-seen-streaking-across-b-c-sky/

154942743.jpg?crop=0px%2C101px%2C960px%2

Around 10:15 p.m. Monday night, people across southern B.C. and part of the U.S. were amazed by a very bright meteor that lit up the sky.

File/Getty Images

If you happened to be walking outside in southern British Columbia Monday night, you may have been wowed by a bright fireball as it lit up the night sky.

The fireball – a bright meteor – was widely reported across social media just after 10:15 p.m. PDT.

The American Meteor Society received numerous reports from Vancouver, Abbotsford, Langley, Nanaimo as well as other cities. Reports also came in from Washington.

I once saw a meteor like that, or whatever it was,..about 5 years ago, go through & light-up the Abbotsford sky. It crossed over nearly half the viewed sky, as I stood in an open field... and it was bright orangy yellow as it streaked by,...before disappearing from view behind a building. I couldn't tell if it had faded away or made contact with the ground somewhere. There was no sound. My first thought was that it was a piece of falling space junk or debries, like an aging satellite or something. Very creepy & alarming.

Was it anything like that?

Sounds like you're taking about when they purposely brought down the MIR space station into the Pacific. That was about 7 years ago? I was heading to a flight in Victoria when that happened and just watched this massive structure with brilliant blue & green flames coming off it.

That's kind of odd that Canadian citizens went to a U.S. organization to report about it. I'm guessing Canada doesn't have its own version of the AMS?

Why would we need one? It's not like the metorites bother to clear customs and it's the same part of the world as far as the sky is concerned.

Why would we need one? It's not like the metorites bother to clear customs and it's the same part of the world as far as the sky is concerned.

If that's the case, why does the US need one? I'm thinking scientific curiosity. Canada has astronauts, the most popular of whom is Commander Chris Hadfield.

Canada, for a short time last decade, was ranked #1 in the world in astronomical research, so Canada having a Canadian meteor watchdog organization wouldn't be too far fetched.

If that's the case, why does the US need one? I'm thinking scientific curiosity. Canada has astronauts, the most popular of whom is Commander Chris Hadfield.

Canada, for a short time last decade, was ranked #1 in the world in astronomical research, so Canada having a Canadian meteor watchdog organization wouldn't be too far fetched.

The US had one first?

Most of the stuff is trending international anyways.

The US had one first?

Most of the stuff is trending international anyways.

I just think it wouldn't be a bad idea if Canada had a bunch of Canadian amateur and professional astronomers with their own domestic scientific independent researchers in the same vein as the U.S. AMS.

Sounds like you're taking about when they purposely brought down the MIR space station into the Pacific. That was about 7 years ago? I was heading to a flight in Victoria when that happened and just watched this massive structure with brilliant blue & green flames coming off it.

No, that wasn't it,... the Mir de-orbitted in 2001.

What I saw had just 1 main fireball not many, but yes, how they streaked thru the sky was similar. After hearing how the Russians had such a devastating-sonic-boom with their downed meteorite experience, I presume the meteor or space junk ...or whatever it was I saw ...didnt make it to the surface that night. And it wasn't too late at night or even dark, either. I saw it before twilight in sometime in late-summer.

Just found the old report from Sept 2009...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bright-light-in-sky-was-meteor-astronomer-1.796120

But, it looked just like this to me....

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/08/huge-fireball-meteor-streaks-vancouver-night-sky/

No, that wasn't it,... the Mir de-orbitted was in 2001.

What I saw was only 1 main fireball not many, but yes, how they streaked thru the sky was similar. After hearing how the Russians had such a devastating-sonic-boom with their downed meteorite experience, I presume the meteor or space junk ...or whatever it was I saw ...didnt make it to the surface that night. And it wasn't too late at night or even dark, either. I saw it just before twilight in late-summer, maybe 8 pm.

just found the old report from Sept 2009!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bright-light-in-sky-was-meteor-astronomer-1.796120

But, it looked just like this to me....

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/08/huge-fireball-meteor-streaks-vancouver-night-sky/

It had the explosion force of a nuclear bomb.

It had the explosion force of a nuclear bomb.

Whoah!!! Holy crap! I mean...I didnt realize it was that horrific. Can you imagine what those poor folks must have been thinkin'? Thanks..for finding that footage to give everyone here a very sobering reality check.

Whoah!!! Holy crap! I mean...I didnt realize it was that horrific. Can you imagine what those poor folks must have been thinkin'? Thanks..for finding that footage to give everyone here a very sobering reality check.

That must have been weird and a bit scary for those Russians. To the credit if the people outside though, they seemed to take the whole thing in stride.

That must have been weird and a bit scary for those Russians. To the credit if the people outside though, they seemed to take the whole thing in stride.

^I think that they've had to live under threat of war, terrorism, bombings, plane crashes, nuclear fall-out (from the Chernobyl accident or that scuttled nuclear submarine), a lot of meta-physical phenomena, & certainly govt. oppression, intrigues & espionage... for so long now, both during & after the fall of the Soviet Union,...that they've become a very stoic & a hearty people. They seem to almost calmly deal with all of the elements of the more mysterious & unexplained occurances about them. Their choice is either to leave the motherland,...or simply live on & roll with it.

Here's just one of the many still unsolved mysteries that have occurred in Russia. They are people just like us, in that they also struggle to understand & cope with all of the govt. secrecy that continually plays-out in their midst. They know their past,... but are no longer shocked by all of the surprises that their futures may hold in for them. Check-out the many very speculative solutions to this very infamous yet tragic intriguing Russian mystery.

That's how un-shockable these folks are...they have learned to be prepared to encounter & deal with just about anything!

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2012/01/mountain-of-the-dead-the-dyatlov-pass-incident/

Could those orange orb(s) described by far-off witnesses, have been similarly exploded or unexploded meteor(s)?

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2012/01/mountain-of-the-dead-the-dyatlov-pass-incident/

Could those orange orb(s) described by far-off witnesses, have been similarly exploded or unexploded meteor(s)?

How long have you been waiting to uncork that one on CDC or were you just Googling UFO's last night? No, meteors don't rip people's tongues out and bash people's torsos in with no scorch marks whatsoever.

Most of the rest of your writing is just random suppositions thrown together with examples of things and events that have happened to other countries, including Japan and the US.

The people in the buildings were scared out of their wits because they didn't see what was coming through in the sky. My observation was meant more towards the people driving and others that were filming it with their cell phones. The people driving were the funniest, they kept driving normally after the thing exploded. Personally, I would have pointed my car towards the opposite direction that it came in from and floored the gas pedal. Like I've said in the past, I grew up under that same specter of war that you wrote about. My first thought would have been, "Huge a*s missiles just came in and exploded too close to the ground!" (The Russians and the US have conventional missles that can explode with the same force as a small nuclear device) or "Huge a*s meteorite just exploded, get me out of here just in case there are more incoming!"

Archived