The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommendations for UK Trip

:D

Megabus <3 Nothing beats £1 bus tickets. Plus, they drive on the wrong side of the road there so it's probably safer not to drive anyway.

I've almost been run over a few times thanks to not looking the right way when crossing the street.

Edinburgh is more tourist friendly and scenic, but a lot of it feels quite false (if that makes sense). Glasgow's traditionally an industrial, gritty, working class city but if I was given the choice I'd choose it over Edinburgh every time. The people are miles friendlier. Edinburgh tends to be full of upper class snobs and English people.

As for Megabus, the £1 thing is a bit of a myth. I'm pretty sure you have to be in months in advance to get that fare and even then there's only one or two of those per journey. I've never got it and I used to travel between Glasgow and Aberdeen all the time before I had the car.

Edinburgh is more tourist friendly and scenic, but a lot of it feels quite false (if that makes sense). Glasgow's traditionally an industrial, gritty, working class city but if I was given the choice I'd choose it over Edinburgh every time. The people are miles friendlier. Edinburgh tends to be full of upper class snobs and English people.

As for Megabus, the £1 thing is a bit of a myth. I'm pretty sure you have to be in months in advance to get that fare and even then there's only one or two of those per journey. I've never got it and I used to travel between Glasgow and Aberdeen all the time before I had the car.

I've gotten it at least twice I think. If not 1, then 2 pounds. Still a steal considering the alternatives.

LOL, full of English people...

I remember my flight out of Scotland...I flew from Glasgow International to London Stansted. Everyone was all smiles at the Glasgow airport...including security. The minute I got off the plane in London, it felt like everyone was determined to look pissed off or something...

I've gotten it at least twice I think. If not 1, then 2 pounds. Still a steal considering the alternatives.

LOL, full of English people...

I remember my flight out of Scotland...I flew from Glasgow International to London Stansted. Everyone was all smiles at the Glasgow airport...including security. The minute I got off the plane in London, it felt like everyone was determined to look pissed off or something...

funny, i had nothing but pleasant experiences in London and its locals. granted, maybe the experiences would have been more pleasant in Scotland, but I didn't go. forgot my blade-retardant vest with me, and I wasn't feeling brave, you see

Sounds like you're covering a lot of ground, Dee. No pics?

*Insert picture of tourist spots you've already seen*

Just London, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dublin. Mostly just doing the tourist thing so no great, underground stories. Me and a girl I am sweet on back in Vancouver are getting a bit more serious so half of this vacation has been hugging hotel wifi =\

funny, i had nothing but pleasant experiences in London and its locals. granted, maybe the experiences would have been more pleasant in Scotland, but I didn't go. forgot my blade-retardant vest with me, and I wasn't feeling brave, you see

Haha, the rest of London wasn't as bad. Maybe it was just because it the airport and they have to be all business like and strict in the big city airports...

Haha, the rest of London wasn't as bad. Maybe it was just because it the airport and they have to be all business like and strict in the big city airports...

Which airport?

I went through London City Airport on my way in and it was terrible. Didn't interact with anyone because I just wanted to gtf out of there.

I'm from Belfast myself, and it really is nothing like the middle east. The city and country has come on leaps and bounds from the dark old days,and the vast majority of people here on both sides just want to get on with things. There are unfortunately a few morons left which leave the rest of us facepalming but Belfast is incredible friendly and is actually one of the safest cities in the UK. I'd recommend the Titanic experience and doing the usual mural tour. You can also get your hockey fix as this Friday (31st October) the Belfast Giants host the Braehead Clan from just outside Glasgow. The British league is around ECHL quality and you get a few ex-NHLer's. Currently Belfast have Ray Sawada who played a few games with Dallas. You may remeber him for being on the receiving end of a pretty grim Paille hit a few years ago. The hockey arena is literally next door to the Titanic Experience and it's a nice modern barn. If you are travelling from Dublin to Belfast, bus would be your best bet. They are on the hour every hour 24/7 and cost something like £19 return which is roughly 24 euro(ish) (remember we use pounds in Norhtern Ireland and Euros in the Republic of Ireland!) Enjoy your trip, wherever you end up.

I'm from Belfast myself, and it really is nothing like the middle east.

The city and country has come on leaps and bounds from the dark old days,and the vast majority of people here on both sides just want to get on with things. There are unfortunately a few morons left which leave the rest of us facepalming but Belfast is incredible friendly and is actually one of the safest cities in the UK.

I'd recommend the Titanic experience and doing the usual mural tour. You can also get your hockey fix as this Friday (31st October) the Belfast Giants host the Braehead Clan from just outside Glasgow. The British league is around ECHL quality and you get a few ex-NHLer's. Currently Belfast have Ray Sawada who played a few games with Dallas. You may remeber him for being on the receiving end of a pretty grim Paille hit a few years ago.

The hockey arena is literally next door to the Titanic Experience and it's a nice modern barn.

If you are travelling from Dublin to Belfast, bus would be your best bet. They are on the hour every hour 24/7 and cost something like £19 return which is roughly 24 euro(ish) (remember we use pounds in Norhtern Ireland and Euros in the Republic of Ireland!)

Enjoy your trip, wherever you end up.

Good post. Oct 31st is my last night over here, may pop up for the game.

Which airport?

I went through London City Airport on my way in and it was terrible. Didn't interact with anyone because I just wanted to gtf out of there.

I think it was Luton. Whichever one EasyJet flies to from Glasgow... Heathrow is pretty nice though. I had a layover there and you can just wander for ages...

How did you find the Irish?

Always struck me as nice people, pity I could hardly understand them.

For half of the ones I met the conversations went to the tune of:

Irish: "Oh hello hadyawanadoi"

Me: "Hey... uh... good? You?"

Irish: "Oh ya know yrahsigfagergoehgaegiheageagoea"

Me: "... *laughs nervously*"

Even worse when they're drunk.

I'm part Irish so I can say these things.

How did you find the Irish?

Always struck me as nice people, pity I could hardly understand them.

For half of the ones I met the conversations went to the tune of:

Irish: "Oh hello hadyawanadoi"

Me: "Hey... uh... good? You?"

Irish: "Oh ya know yrahsigfagergoehgaegiheageagoea"

Me: "... *laughs nervously*"

Even worse when they're drunk.

I'm part Irish so I can say these things.

Yeah, that was happening to me in Scotland. Even in my Hotel...

>>>Hiya whatsasturnum

Good morning.

>>>Canigetyursarname??

Beautiful day...

>>> You're. Sur. Name?

Ohhhh, why don't you talk properly then?

Yeah, that was happening to me in Scotland. Even in my Hotel...

>>>Hiya whatsasturnum

Good morning.

>>>Canigetyursarname??

Beautiful day...

>>> You're. Sur. Name?

Ohhhh, why don't you talk properly then?

Haha. Reminds me of when I was out for a walk at a park with my (white) American friend in Glasgow (me being Asian). An older gentleman walking in the other direction tips his hat and probably says something along the lines of the weather being pleasant in a very thick Scottish accent. We give him the old, "sorry could you repeat that" routine and he just goes, "huh, cannae speak the language, eh?" and walks on.

But the first one that got me wasn't even the accent. I walked into a store and they were on lunch break so I asked when they'd be open again. The response was "Half-two". To which I asked "half to......which hour?"

Archived