The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommendations for UK Trip

:D

... :ph34r:

how about be prepared that they'll outdrink the heaviest drinkers here in north america. getting anyone drunk is going to cost a fortune.

Not true in my experience, and I feel like it is worthwhile because I have done a lot of drinking with a lot of different nationalities.

While travelling I've actually found nobody drinks as heavily as us Canadians, and the Aussies.

Brits and the Irish can definitely sling 'em back, but they aren't quite on the same level. The issue with the Irish is they get incredibly hard to understand after a few.

On the other hand, Scandinavians (especially the girls) don't seem to fair too well.

I don't drink, lol.

What do they call pop for there? I've seen it called fizzy juice and I just don't know if I can bring myself to call it that.

I may be dehydrated when I come back.

Doesn't mean you can't give the birds a few ;)

Soft drink seems to be the usual term for it in Europe, don't think I've ever heard someone refer to it as "fizzy juice", that's just awful.

You can call it pop. No "fizzy" juice but you can get juice too, or fizzy pop. There's also cordial / squash (it's a tiny but of juice and mostly water). Or just ask for a specific brand of pop.

Also, lemonade here and lemonade there, two different drinks. Lemonade in the UK is fizzy and more like sprite.

Pop is a pretty hilarious term for it too if you think about it objectively.

When I went it was called Squash I think...loved London and Scotland..never did get to Ireland,,,you might want to look into a Brit Rail pass..not to expensive if you are planning a lot of outside trips..good in England, Scotland and Wales...doesnt work for Ireland...

http://www.visitbritainshop.com/canada/travel-transport/rail-tickets/product/britrail-gb-consecutive-pass.html

Trains are super cheap, especially if you book in advance. You can get some trains from Manchester to London for like 5 pounds if you time things right.

As for things to do, I really liked Brighton.

Brighton_Pier,_Brighton,_East_Sussex,_En

I lived in Brighton for the better part of a year (you can see my flat in this pic). Gorgeous town, great food and drink culture and excellent shopping in the lanes. I would certainly recommend going there if any of that intrigues you.

Also, the beach is cool to but it could be a little bleak in November.

I lived in Brighton for the better part of a year (you can see my flat in this pic). Gorgeous town, great food and drink culture and excellent shopping in the lanes. I would certainly recommend going there if any of that intrigues you.

Also, the beach is cool to but it could be a little bleak in November.

Are those roads as steep as they look in the picture you quoted? (especially one of them in the back -- reminds me of SF)

Are those roads as steep as they look in the picture you quoted? (especially one of them in the back -- reminds me of SF)

No, they're not steep at all. If I remember correctly (it was 8 years ago) Brighton itself is pretty flat. Hove which is the surrounding area somewhat forms a bowl around Brighton and it gets steep, but that's not in the picture.

No, they're not steep at all. If I remember correctly (it was 8 years ago) Brighton itself is pretty flat. Hove which is the surrounding area somewhat forms a bowl around Brighton and it gets steep, but that's not in the picture.

If you click on the picture you might see some steep-looking roads in the back -- they're cut off from the image when I looked at the thread.

Besides SF, in some ways reminds me of visiting the mountain next to Volos (Pelion?) in Greece.

We just got back from London/Scotland/ireland recently and these are some of the things we checked out.

We spent about a week in London/England then 4 days each in Scotland(which was pretty much for a 1D concert for my sister) & Ireland.

London is London and you will not go wrong spending at least a day just in the downtown core, Manchester is also worth a stop(spent most of shopping $$ there). We checked out the Harry Potter Tour, rode the Cannock chase forest, did tours of stadium and checked out museums. We also did the City Visitor trail through london and took all the diff. routes you can take to check everything out.

In Ireland we stopped at the Titanic Exhibition, did a Game of Thrones tour and did archery and there are tons of festivals happening in the fall.

If you know you want to do certain tours/exhibitions etc maybe see if you book tix in advance, we saved $$ doing that cause you can get discounts.

No matter what you end up doing, its amazing and well worth it.

• 1 month later...

there's this willy wonka grade dessert section at the bottom of harrod's where i had a reasonably priced ice cream, i think. it was tourist central. lots of nice biscuits, treats, and souvenirs tho. i'd def go in there.

but i felt eyes of judgment on me when i was walking through the rest of the store--areas which, mind you, were almost entirely empty

Archived