The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Sprong

saucypass

Dang, I wonder why they took him out. Do you think it has to do with him not producing as much lately?

No, he is still producing consistently (10 points in 9 games last month) so I don't think it's that. However...

I think scouts want to see his production start ramping up a bit. He is producing a shade over a point per game, but considering he has the high-end skill I think they want him to start pulling away from "just" a point per game pace. Last year on an even worse Charlottetown team he had a similar PPG (last year = 1.01 , this year = 1.10). It's an impressive number in itself but it's not the kind of leap you'd hope for in an offensive player in their sophomore year, especially in the high-scoring QMJHL.

The first comparable (draft eligible RW on a subpar team) I can think of is, well, Nikita Korostelev. Last year he finished at 0.63 PPG and this year, on an even less offensive Sarnia team, he is at 1.06. This is the sort of improvement that is generally seen from offensive players entering their sophomore season.

This is all speculation on my part, but Sprong isn't playing that much "worse" so I don't know what else it could be.

• 2 months later...

Yeah I would be down to knabb him. High upside, not too small. But at the same time Baerstchi and Shinky already have the top 2 LW spots on our future team.

Which is a good thing because Sprong shoots right and plays on the RW ;)

Sprong now has 82 points in 66 games.

I said in October that I wanted him to develop a more complete game. I don't think he's done enough to be considered a dangerous dual-threat. I don't think he'll ever be a good disher of the puck but the combination of shot, strong lower body and hands are top 5 in the draft after some guys like Eichel, Zacha and maybe Rantanen.

He's dropping to the 2nd but I'd take him in the 20-30 range easily.

Archived