The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cuba sends more doctors than any other in the world to West Africa to fight ebola

Bure to Mogilny

Well try not to mis understand u know what i mean

So :picard: yourself

Two can play this game.

Go get a :picard::canucks: ing education. While I'm typing this, the :sadno::sick::shock: ing Penguins scored. Although Toronto has a really :wub: itty team. The team sucks :excl::ph34r::unsure: s.

Not true at all. There is about 6.7 physicians per 1000 in Cuba, whereas in Canada it's around 2.2 and in the USA 2.6. Cuban physicians work abroad for various reasons. Apparently there are over 30k in Venezuela - part of an agreement to obtain favourable oil imports.

Ok i will check that but good to know i was under the idea they had a terible health system but maybe i misundertood or confused with a nother country thanks

Yeah i cant imagine cuba has many doctors so they should stay there to help people who need it there instead of to go to africa for PR for USA to try to proove they are a good country now

Nope, just business as usual.

(from wikipedia)

Cuban medical internationalism is the Cuban programme, since the 1959 Cuban Revolution, of sending Cuban medical personnel overseas, particularly to Latin America, Africa and, more recently, Oceania,[1] and of bringing medical students and patients to Cuba. In 2007, "Cuba has 42,000 workers in international collaborations in 103 different countries, of whom more than 30,000 are health personnel, including no fewer than 19,000 physicians."[2] Cuba provides more medical personnel to the developing world than all the G8 countries combined,[2] although this comparison does not take into account G8 development aid spent on developing world healthcare. The Cuban missions have had substantial positive local impact on the populations served.[3] It is widely believed that medical workers are Cuba's most important export commodity.[4]

And when were they not a good country?

I dont mean to sound ignorant but what have they done for good before this cause ive never heard of it? And im not just been rude i really dont know more then there atacks and killings to south africa and a nother coutry down there

There was an interesting scene in the movie "Sicko". Michael Moore interviewed a Cuban doctor about how their medical system works. In a hypothetical situation, he asked what would happen if an American citizen showed up in a Cuban hospital, asking for treatment.

The doctor seemed a bit confused, stating that he would treat the patient. When asked by Moore if he would ask the American for payment, he looked equally baffled, simply saying "No."

This is interesting, because most first world countries provide free health care to some degree. (Although not all would treat foreign patients for free) Cuba, being a relatively poor country would seem to have a more progressive attitude towards health care than many more affluent societies.

There was an interesting scene in the movie "Sicko". Michael Moore interviewed a Cuban doctor about how their medical system works. In a hypothetical situation, he asked what would happen if an American citizen showed up in a Cuban hospital, asking for treatment.

The doctor seemed a bit confused, stating that he would treat the patient. When asked by Moore if he would ask the American for payment, he looked equally baffled, simply saying "No."

This is interesting, because most first world countries provide free health care to some degree. (Although not all would treat foreign patients for free) Cuba, being a relatively poor country would seem to have a more progressive attitude towards health care than many more affluent societies.

Well theres no way i would even be allowed to watch a michael moore movie in my house nor do i want to but i do like your politics rupert if i to remember right so maybe i have to read more on there health care cause i had a bad idea a bout cause of the communism and murdering thing

Well theres no way i would even be allowed to watch a michael moore movie in my house nor do i want to but i do like your politics rupert if i to remember right so maybe i have to read more on there health care cause i had a bad idea a bout cause of the communism and murdering thing

Why would you not be allowed to watch a Michael Moore movie? I agree that he can be sensationalist at times, but he also presents some valid arguments.

My parents hate him for supporting the attacks of 9-11 and is banned in the house. I hate him and i dont hate.

I think your parents have confused "supporting the 9/11 attacks" with being critical of George Bush's actions, both before and after 9/11.

But whatever. Ignorance begets ignorance, I suppose.

Not true at all. There is about 6.7 physicians per 1000 in Cuba, whereas in Canada it's around 2.2 and in the USA 2.6. Cuban physicians work abroad for various reasons. Apparently there are over 30k in Venezuela - part of an agreement to obtain favourable oil imports.

In a communist system, where doctors don't make millions, you can afford to have more of them. Quantity doesn't always make up for quality though. Canada still has a higher life expectancy.

In a communist system, where doctors don't make millions, you can afford to have more of them. Quantity doesn't always make up for quality though. Canada still has a higher life expectancy.

This. This exactly. Cuba and canada could be the same have had the same chance and used to be similar and today canadians can live longer and cuba people can not. Is pretty obvious i thought. After investigations today it seems cuba doctors are bad quality compared to doctors from free democratic countrys like canada or USA. Put that in your pipe and smoke it hippys

My parents hate him for supporting the attacks of 9-11 and is banned in the house. I hate him and i dont hate.

Michael Moore has saved a billion lives. He's ate all the cheeseburgers some other sap would have eaten and got a coronary from. How dare you vilify an American hero.

This. This exactly. Cuba and canada could be the same have had the same chance and used to be similar and today canadians can live longer and cuba people can not. Is pretty obvious i thought. After investigations today it seems cuba doctors are bad quality compared to doctors from free democratic countrys like canada or USA. Put that in your pipe and smoke it hippys

Bringing up statistics from the CIA World Fact Book makes me a hippy?

And actually, Cuban doctors are held in fairly high regard. I don't know where all this rubbish about them being poorly trained is coming from...

Archived