The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Higgins

Boudrias

Streaky player my ars. Players, good players are not always producing points. Higgins like everyone even the sedins will not produce offensively, but other factors such as defense, shoot out situations, Higgins has been a good all round player. But of course if your not producing despite doing a good job at other aspect of the game. I'll say kesler is also a streaky player not consistent enough to be second line offensively

There is also a pretty big gap between a 2nd line centre and 2nd line winger. In most cases centres tend to be better players. A 2nd line centre requires a higher level of offensive IQ than a winger and on average put up around 12 more points. IF Higgins was a centre, I think I would lean toward him being a third line player. BUT as a winger, definitely 2nd line.

Giving some room for injuries, lets say an average second liner finished 40th in their position. Here are the stats from last year:

RW - 36 points
LW - 38 points
Centre - 50 points.

I am not arguing that historically Higgins has been a great second liner by any stretch, but he is for sure a second line player (at least an average one). He is better than a third liner offensively, and deserves to be considered something better than a "tweener".

If a player is a top 6 forward, you can pretty much as yourself "can we / do we / should we really on this player to bring offense". Higgins answers yes to all three.

Hansen in my eyes was also a top 6 forward. We expected/relied on him to produce more than 11 goals and 20 points last year, and he failed us. After last year, he has now become a third line player. Despite having the same production as last season (even slightly worse) we seem totally ok with it.

A third line player is someone who is good enough to stay in the league without worrying about losing their job, but is not relied upon to bring offense. If a third liner scores 30+ points it seems like a bonus.

Fourth line players usually are concerned about their jobs, lack the skill to produce over 20 points, or are brought in for a very specific purpose (physicality, fighting, faceoffs, blocking shots). You have career fourth liners, young players, or guys who worked hard in the AHL and earned the opportunity. Either way their jobs are always at risk.

So how about elite checkers? I think they still have to produce points, but not as many as a pure offensive guy in order to be a 2nd liner. 35-40 points for a centre while checking another team's top line is still a 2nd liner to me.

Too bad kassianbeastmode got banned, he would have loved to dump all over this thread.

Higgins has been of great value from the start. He fit in well for our cup run, has always produced while playing a solid 2 way game and has re-signed twice at respectable cap hits. The guys work ethic is awesome and he is a great character guy to show the young players the ropes. Pretty awesome we have him for 2 more years cause he has shown no signs of slowing down. He is an average 2nd liner and an elite 3rd liner that is making average 3rd line money. What's not to love?

hahahahaha the best news I have heard all day is your first line

It's no secret in today's NHL that success of any line starts with the center as the cornerstone. Of course if you have elite scoring wingers like Ovie they are first line wingers. In more cases than not, a second line winger is selected based on how well he works with the center rather than pure talent (assuming the most talented winger is on the first line). Higgy's instant chemistry with Bones makes him the most appropriate 2nd line LW for the Canucks. It's just not very appropriate to 'categorize' wingers in isolation especially beyond the first line.

Archived