The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL approves Vegas ticket drive

Mackcanuck

Report: Las Vegas #NHL ticket drive hits 10,000

Congratulations Las Vegas and prospective NHL owner Bill Foley. You have exceeded the magic 10,000 ticket deposit threshold according to ESPN.com, which is a major step towards getting an NHL franchise. Woohoo!

Next comes the name, I'm guessing.

NHL: We want to expand.

PA: No.

NHL: Aw, please!

PA: No.

NHL: We'll give you cups in these new locations.

PA: Still no.

NHL: Increased revenue? Cha-ching?

PA: Nope.

NHL: Okay, how about the first expansion location is a PA party place? Vegas, baby!

PA: Now you're talking!!!

why would the players association not want more jobs available to them? The PA would always be pro-expansion.

The rumoured expansion fee is $450M to $500M

"It is believed the prospective ownership group has also had preliminary discussions about an expansion fee with the league that would be between $450 and $500 million. That money is attractive to NHL owners, as it does not have to be shared with players under the current collective bargaining agreement."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12589099/las-vegas-ticket-drive-turns-corporations

They will have to give them the unofficial go ahead almost immediately because they will want to have most of their front office in place by midsummer....or their scouting staff earlier, at least. By the official announcement the new GM will be already, if not very nearly, in place.

With the U-18s coming up they need to be starting getting ready for the 2016 draft ASAP.

Anyone want to make any guesses on the shortlist for GM? I'd suggest Fenton and McPhee with the leading candidate to be Mike Futa.

They will have to give them the unofficial go ahead almost immediately because they will want to have most of their front office in place by midsummer....or their scouting staff earlier, at least. By the official announcement the new GM will be already, if not very nearly, in place.

With the U-18s coming up they need to be starting getting ready for the 2016 draft ASAP.

Anyone want to make any guesses on the shortlist for GM? I'd suggest Fenton and McPhee with the leading candidate to be Mike Futa.

Gillis? :bigblush:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Gilman or BriseBois, though.

I'd be surprised if it was Gilman because I don't think he has the personality they will want in a market like LV. He is too understated to be the frontman they will need in that city.

I can't say i know much about BriseBois except that he is qualified but I would question whether having a Francophone is likely or not in a new US market even though his accent is not very noticeable.

Now… I would add Tim Burke's name to the list I think will be considered.

Apparently not. I think they were concerned about watered down talent in my fake conversation. But that's only a guess.

the NHLPA would never care about a watered down product. what they MIGHT be concerned about is that the expansion fees don't count towards HHR.

the NHLPA would never care about a watered down product. what they MIGHT be concerned about is that the expansion fees don't count towards HHR.

To late to worry about that. It was a concession that they accepted with open eyes in the last CBA negotiation.

To anyone paying attention the fact that it was such an important factor to the BoG, that expansion and relocation fees did not count towards league related revenue, should have been an obvious indicator. When I saw it I knew it was more than a "Just in case" clause, that it was a done deal. The PA had to know it too because they passed up over a $1B in share to get the deal done.

While that clause is in place the NHL will use it to its full effect.

To late to worry about that. It was a concession that they accepted with open eyes in the last CBA negotiation.

To anyone paying attention the fact that it was such an important factor to the BoG, that expansion and relocation fees did not count towards league related revenue, should have been an obvious indicator. When I saw it I knew it was more than a "Just in case" clause, that it was a done deal. The PA had to know it too because they passed up over a $1B in share to get the deal done.

Yeah - if anything, that's a red flag that the league is going to fully pursue any ideas of expansion and relocation before this CBA expires.

If there are any plans to get a billion-dollar windfall for a 2nd Toronto team, you can bet that it will be signed, sealed, and delivered before the next CBA talks begin.

they probably have been pro expansion (more job opening for their members) for a long time, and were fine with conceding the expansion fees in order to allow for those to come to fruition.

they probably have been pro expansion (more job opening for their members) for a long time, and were fine with conceding the expansion fees in order to allow for those to come to fruition.

Agreed.

While they knew that they were giving up a piece they used to have a claim on that the net effect would be in their long term favour on the ledger.

I don't think that the second Toronto franchise will be on the table during this CBA but you never know, I guess. The lack of a viable building, and the opposition to overcome, in the timeframe makes it highly unlikely IMO.

Archived