The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Opinion] Free Pass for the Sedins

bigbadcanucks

IMO

Sedins get a pass, because the Sedins are not the problem !

They are in the Top part of overall points scoring in the NHL.

They do this with ONLY 3 D men in the top 100 of Defencemen scoring

Edler rated 62, Tanev at 92 and Weber at 94

They also face the top 5 players of each team every shift

Give them some speedy offensive minded dmen and let them have a strong 5 man unit

Tired of hearing Ernhoff as the answer (He is only 2 points, better than Edler and ranked 60th among dmen, he also plays in the weaker East, with Pittsburg with Crosby, Malkin etc.)

For all the trade rumours of Cody Franson before, I think he would have looked good here now ?

The one thing I would like the Sedins to do,is quit looking for the perfect goal and both shoot more

Especially Henrik, he is the Opposite of Kesler, and like him, teams figured that he would be shooting, and he became less effective after his breakout year. With Henrik, even when he is in good position to score, he will pass. This limits his lines chances of more options and more opportunities and more success and not over handling the puck

It's not just numbers, you gotta look at the whole thing in its entirety. Ever noticed a lot of players who played extremely well within the Red Wings system, only to play very sub-par once they went to another team? Sometimes chemistry between certain players and team style plays a major role. Just because someone regularly play with certain all-star players, doesn't mean their point totals automatically skyrockets.

Christian Ehrhoff was like the 3rd Sedin when he was on the ice with them. He knew when to pinch, and he was pretty much the only defenseman who can regularly move the puck up the ice and/or enter the offensive zone. Edler is slower and has poor decision making, Tanev sort-of could but he's not as offensively gifted, Weber might be able to but he's more likely to make the safer play to stay in the line up....... thus since 2011, the Canucks have been missing that kind of defenseman.

A guy who can run the PP, a strong shot, great passing, fast skater, and can be Edler's safety blanket..... he's a no-brainer.

Lately the Sedins have been great at creating confusion, but not so good at creating offensive options. The issue as I see it, is that they are always looking for a shooter. They control the puck along the boards; but when the pass finally comes the opposing d and goalie are ready for it. It was the same with Kes and even Garrett at the point. The opposition know where the puck is going to. Henrik and Daniel have to be finishers as well as passers. Vrbata has to recognize when the shot is not there and quickly find another option. I would like to see a big body with the Sedins on occasion just to change things up.

It goes back to last year as well, although in their defence, Torts was largely to blame for that. I'm just saying that 13 goals and 52 points between them in 30 games isn't looking like a bargain for 14 mil.

52 points in 60 games is definitely worth 14M, I don't know what grass you've been smoking.

I agree with your comment RWMc1.

Also while they are passing it around, it would be nice to have a skilled dman be able to one time it, rather that stopping it for that split second and giving the opposing players and goalie time to adjust. Is it any wonder why our defensemen are so far down the ladder in scoring among their peers? The Canucks sit 10th in overall league scoring, without their defence picking up points. Sounds like the forwards are having to generate the chances themselves, that's 3 guys against 5 which will frustrate and wear you down when things are not going your way, and you don't have the confidence in your defense to help you out offensively, and as well lately, when they play defensively it can be "offensive".

One reason to "give the Sedins a pass" is that criticizing them is really unlikely to help.

They are hard workers. Nothing on here is going to make them work harder.

They are smart enough to look for adjustments on their own. Nothing written on here is going to make them look harder for ways to do better.

Ok, they aren't in their 20's any more. Given the character they've shown and the home town discount they took the contract before this one, why would anyone want to bash them?

I don't think anyone on our beloved Canucks deserves a "pass". If they are losing and they are a team, then they are "all" responsible. More so when you are the Captain or one of the highest paid players on the team. They had "all" the tools to win it in 2011 but came up short. They have to take partial blame for that. Most of the tools are arguably still there but maybe without enough "Heart and Determination". Something this team had plenty of during the lean years with Captain's Linden and Smyl. It is most obvious when playing lower seeded teams and when the team is on a losing streak, like it is now. I would like to see the whole team go "Beast Mode" that would be a sight to see not just one or two players. We can only dream.

They're not given a free pass. There is not a better option to be on the number one line on the team so they are it. The twins are two of the hardest workers and more creative players on the team. There is no free pass, the twins simply don't fit another role and the team needs them as number one guys.

Don't worry they will come out of this little dry spell and start dominating games, not many players can do that for 82 games.

They're not given a free pass. There is not a better option to be on the number one line on the team so they are it. The twins are two of the hardest workers and more creative players on the team. There is no free pass, the twins simply don't fit another role and the team needs them as number one guys.

Don't worry they will come out of this little dry spell and start dominating games, not many players can do that for 82 games.

You are right, the team needs them to be number one guys. If I felt that they gave their "All" most of the time I would be good with that. Its when I see the team down and no one seems to step up. Kess on occasion would go "Beast Mode" but that was very few and not often enough. I want to feel like the team played its heart out even if they lose. It seems these higher priced players don't feel obligated to go 110% on a consistant basis. Dorsett and Tanev are the only players I see coming close to playing like that.

Archived