The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 Big Deals(proposal)

There is no doubt J.B. will be looking to upgrade his top 6 as he has stated as much...The reality is that he needs 2 top 6 guys to really take this team up a notch.

With Philly stumbling the way they are and Voracek leading the league in points at 4.5mil/year, they will be looking to re-up with him probably at 6.5-7.5/year and Schenn plus Couturier will be looking for double the year after, Simmonds might be had.

Trade#1

To VanCity-

Simmonds, age:26, 6'2", 208 Lbs. - RW 25G,30assists/yr. 130hits/yr + 2015 2nd round

To Philly-

Lack, age:27, would become Philly's #1 + Kassian, age:23 serious potential

Philly loves how Cap friendly this trade this is and they get two quality pieces.

Trade#2

To VanCity-

Lupul, age:31, 6'1" , 206 Lbs. - LW 25G,25assists/yr. 110hits/yr + 2015 2nd round

To T.O.

Higgins, age 31, 6'0" , 203 lbs. - LW + J.Hansen + B.Gaunce

I know Lupul is often injured but if some how we can get him healthy, we take a very big step up in the skill in our top 6.

New look lines,

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Lupul Bonino Simmonds

Matthias Richardson Burrows

Vey Horvat Dorsett

Flame away...

Lack is worth a 2nd at best. Philly 2nd is around 36th now. They still have Mason signed long term who hasn't been bad considering how bad the Flyers defense has been. That leaves Simmonds for Kassian, which is just downright disgusting from Philly's perspective.

Toronto does not have their 2015 2nd. That is an overpayment for Lupul anyway.

Lupul, age:31, 6'1" , 206 Lbs. - LW 25G,25assists/yr. 110hits/yr + 2015 2nd round

Flame away...

Glad to oblige!

Is this Lupul described as being worth 25 goals and 25 assists per year the same now 31 year old Joffrey Lupul who averaged 37 pts per season for the past 8 seasons ending 2013-2014 (i.e averaged 37 pts in his prime years) who has had multiple injury problems which aren't really likely to disappear in his 30's, who this season has missed 22 of his team's 48 games this season and who carries a cap hit of $5.25 million through 2018?

How much do we really want an injury prone forward who in 2017-18 will be 34 and carry a cap hit of $5.25 million? I know, it could work out, but what trade value does that chance really have? I'm actually a fan of Lupul's but wouldn't consider trading anything of any value for his contract.

As to what is going the other way:

Is this the same Hansen who has a modified no trade clause in his contract who is to be asked to include the Leafs in the teams he'll accept a trade to?

Is this the same Higgins who has a modified no trade clause in his contract who is to be asked to include the Leafs in the teams he'll accept a trade to?

Are they really likely to agree to join the Leafs?

For Lupul, the injury-prone $5.25 million 31 year old plus a 2nd rounder we give up:

-Higgins, a defensive forward the same age who carries a cap hit less than half Lupul's and for a shorter term and who, despite being much maligned and not having a good season is currently tied for the team lead in +/- and 3rd in Corsi relative to competition, (source http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/1/23/7876771/canucks-stats-leaders-at-the-all-star-break) plus

-Hansen, a 28 year old fast-skating defensive winger who is perhaps our best forward on the penalty kill (which has been the best and imo most essential element of this year's team) while being tied for 2nd in goals and is 2nd on the team in takeaways (same source as above) and being versatile enough that the coach has moved to him from 4th line to 1st line to 2nd line as needed, plus

-Gaunce, a 20 year old forward prospect drafted in the 1st round a couple of years ago who we haven't given up on and who many on CDC have indicated looks to be a 3/4 line forward in coming years?

Sorry, the only way this comes close to making sense to me is if the Canucks have totally given up on Gaunce as a prospect-and even then I'd be worried about what it would do to the Canucks in the short term.

Archived