The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chemical Fire in Vancouver

Raoul Duke

I was exposed to a chemical fire that later destroyed my health, who knows what the long term effects of this could be?

Anyway, I wonder at the cause, a lot of accidents at the port aren't accidents.

It'd be a different matter if you were actually close enough to inhale concentrated fumes. If the fire was that serious in this case, the city would have evacuated everyone.

This fire was put out quickly and only required a few fire trucks.

I was playing tennis yesterday in Burnaby and thought the air smelled weird and a little smokey. Only to come home and find out what had happened. Hope everyone in the area is OK, and props to the crews who have been working hard to get things under control. Glad our city is in good hands.

I live on commercial drive. Smelt a garbage like smell in the air walking home. The for was put soon after it started.

Lol at people saying they would stay on a hotel on the other side of the city.

You got so excited at laughing at others you could barely get the words out?

Everyone is different and while you may do one thing, it's not really worthy of laughing at others because they do another. Unless you're an expert? And it doesn't appear that you are because the fire was still smoldering as of this morning.

People with asthma are advised to take care with that....if you've ever struggled to catch a breath, you likely wouldn't be laughing at the prospect of such. No laughing matter (at all). I've watched people die of lung cancer and any actions taken in a preventative measure to protect people is to be applauded, not laughed at.

Health authorities were warning that people could feel the effects of the chemical fire up to 24 hours after being exposed.

Patricia Daly, chief medical officer of Vancouver Coastal Health, said people, especially those with pre-existing lung problems, could experience wheezing or difficulty breathing, and if so should seek medical attention.

It'd be a different matter if you were actually close enough to inhale concentrated fumes. If the fire was that serious in this case, the city would have evacuated everyone.

There wasn't any dense concentration or evacuation in my instance either.

The problem is if you do have any resulting health problems it would be crazy hard to prove unless you happened to have air samples and complete documentation from the time of the incident.

I'm actually fairly impressed at the low level of panic considering the amount of chemophobia being spread through the media. For those wondering about health effects, one of the best resources to consult when something like this happens is MSDS documents from chemical companies like Sigma-Aldrich while keeping in mind that they always describe the worst case scenario.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/MSDS/PleaseWaitMSDSPage.do?language=&country=CA&brand=ALDRICH&productNumber=176125&PageToGoToURL=http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/176125?lang=en&region=CA

Pretty much from this (and from various news articles that have been published since the fire), you can pretty much gather that at this level of exposure, the general public will likely experience no more than irritation in the respiratory tract. Just don't drink the stuff...

Thirty firefighters, 3 ladder/crane type trucks, two fireboats. And they advised people to stay indoors with windows shut rather than "evacuate". So it's important to not send mixed messages to people here...I'd think it best that people actually listened to the advice that was given vs laughing it off. If someone lived in the area and had windows/doors open they may have wanted to clear out the air for a bit. And no one really knew so airing on the side of caution wasn't really a bad idea.

Archived