The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Large Hadron Collider Could Detect Extra Dimensions

babych

Faith is not required at all to prove Descartes' "I think therefore I am", just straight logic. You obviously have not studied it. Here is a quick summary of "I think therefore I am":

http://unenlightenedenglish.com/2009/07/i-think-therefore-i-am-confused-what-does-this-phrase-mean

Actually, I have and it is faith. It takes faith to believe Descartes existed and his logic was logical.

Boom goes the dynamite...

I worry they are going to open a can of worms that can't close the lid on. Think nuclear to the power of 10

Playing with black holes has only been hypothesized. Doing it for real could have serious side effects.

Why? Radiation, Nuclear explosions, black holes etc. You should try contributing more.

Great,copy and paste...

Faith and religion are two different things. No one hijacked anything and you still haven't contributed anything original. Time for a copy and paste maybe?

Great contributions Brick. If you want to call someone else out, try being an example of what you're looking for.

Brilliant physicists and scientists vs. an uninformed, uneducated opinion.

Fear mongering is not a contribution. If you want to call it unsafe, show everyone here how or why it is so. Don't be so narcissistic. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't get angry if people call you out on your baseless posts.

Dral has provided the 2003 CERN study and a follow-up review. His copy/paste is now far ahead of your contributions. Is he supposed to provide his personalized article review for you? Either defend your opinion or don't. Your one liners just dig you further down into the hole. I now wish for a well thought-out response from you as to why the LHC is unsafe (ie. how it will create dangerous black holes backed by scholarly articles, etc) but I expect some more narcissistic drivel. Try to make it at least two sentences long this time at least.

This would be like me going into the soccer thread (with my severe lack of knowledge of the sport) and posting a bunch of one liners as how team A is better than team B with all the evidence to the contrary. And when someone posts the standings with Team B well ahead, I respond by saying copy/paste. Like, come on, Brick, please.

Great contributions Brick. If you want to call someone else out, try being an example of what you're looking for.

Brilliant physicists and scientists vs. an uninformed, uneducated opinion.

Fear mongering is not a contribution. If you want to call it unsafe, show everyone here how or why it is so. Don't be so narcissistic. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't get angry if people call you out on your baseless posts.

Dral has provided the 2003 CERN study and a follow-up review. His copy/paste is now far ahead of your contributions. Is he supposed to provide his personalized article review for you? Either defend your opinion or don't. Your one liners just dig you further down into the hole. I now wish for a well thought-out response from you as to why the LHC is unsafe (ie. how it will create dangerous black holes backed by scholarly articles, etc) but I expect some more narcissistic drivel. Try to make it at least two sentences long this time at least.

This would be like me going into the soccer thread (with my severe lack of knowledge of the sport) and posting a bunch of one liners as how team A is better than team B with all the evidence to the contrary. And when someone posts the standings with Team B well ahead, I respond by saying copy/paste. Like, come on, Brick, please.

Someone is babysitting again. I hope you are getting paid for it. Dral can take care of himself, he doesn't need your help. If you don't like what I post, ignore it and keep your mouth shut if it is not directed at you (like Dral's was at me). There are enough mini mods trying to become real mods here already. Nobody knows what is going to happen, NO ONE. It is hypothesis and just like when they SPLIT THE ATOM, there are very severe consequences (evidence: See Hiroshima, Russia or Japan). Otherwise, Stephen Hawking can keep blowing into his straw...

Someone is babysitting again. I hope you are getting paid for it. Dral can take care of himself, he doesn't need your help. If you don't like what I post, ignore it and keep your mouth shut if it is not directed at you (like Dral's was at me). There are enough mini mods trying to become real mods here already. Nobody knows what is going to happen, NO ONE. It is hypothesis and just like when they SPLIT THE ATOM, there are very severe consequences (evidence: See Hiroshima, Russia or Japan). Otherwise, Stephen Hawking can keep blowing into his straw...

Look! He wrote 5 lines and still contributed nothing! How is that possible?? Must be a gift from god.

Here is bit of "copy and paste" on why the LHC might be dangerous:

http://www.lhcdefense.org/lhc_risks.php

Black holes are usually conceived as being the remnant of a massive star that has used up its nuclear fuel, and crushed itself under its own weight. Its gravitational pull at its surface then becomes so great nothing can escape, not even light. It becomes literally a “hole” in the fabric of space-time, and anything that enters can never escape.

In theory, however, a black hole can be of any size, not just very large ones. Any amount of matter, if crushed in upon itself, can theoretically form a black-hole, albeit a very small one if only a small amount of matter is crushed. Some theories suggested that miniature black holes might have been formed in the earliest history of the Universe. Other theories suggest that particle colliders, by crushing two atoms together at tremendous speed, might create a miniature black hole of very tiny dimension. Stephen Hawking in the early 1970s theorized that such miniature black holes were once in great abundance, but later “evaporated” by a quantum tunneling process, so that such miniature black holes no longer exist in our Universe. This process, first theorized by Stephen Hawking, would possibly cause a black hole to evaporate.

If virtual particles are produced in the vicinity of a black hole, it might be possible for one member of the matter-antimatter pair to be pulled into the black hole while the other escapes into space. The particle that would fall into the black hole would negate some of its mass and so the black hole would shrink a little. This would make it look as if the particle that escaped into space had come from the black hole. Hawking radiation would be particularly important in the case of miniature black holes, which might explode in this way. Black holes of very low mass, such as would be created in particle colliders, would have masses of about 10,000,000 atomic mass units [a.m.u., the mass of one proton], and lifetimes of about 1 E-23 seconds, IF Hawking Radiation works as predicted. Hawking Radiation has never been experimentally detected, and exists only in theory.

In theory, a miniature black hole created at rest relative to Earth is considerably different that one created by high-energy cosmic rays striking the Earth. If such high energy cosmic rays were to on occasion create a miniature black hole, as some theories have suggested, it would be traveling at very high speed [0.9999+ c] relative to Earth, and much like a neutrino, simply zip right through Earth in ¼ second without interacting, or if it did interact, it would glom on to a few quarks and barely slow.

Conversely, any miniature black hole created at rest in a collider would essentially be trapped in Earth’s gravitational field, and over seconds to hours, slowly interact and acquire more mass, if Hawking radiation does not work as predicted, or as quickly as predicted, to cause the newly-minted miniature black hole to “evaporate”.

To read more about theoretical miniature black holes, and what the various theories suggests, click here.

You dont need faith to believe Descartes existed, his published works are proof enough :) Just like all the philosophers.

That's like me saying that I don't need faith to believe God exists, the earth and human beings and everything living is proof enough. :)

I guess what I take umbrage with in your post is that you seem to suggest that scientists had no idea what would happen when they split the atom, when actually the reverse was true.

Quantum mechanics holds a special place in science in that theory led experimentation, which was a huge paradigm shift. Up to that point it was the reverse: scientists did experiments and then came up with a theory (mathematical model) to explain why it happened and provide predictive powers.

Quantum theory predicted that splitting the atom and releasing the "missing mass" as energy would provide roughly 1 million times the power that conventional reactions could muster.

The issue was that the technology wasn't up to snuff. Scientists didn't "stumble upon" atomic energy - they worked their way to it.

Like it or not, Hiroshima wasn't an accident - it was a deliberate effort to harness energies that scientists knew were out there.

So to suggest that the people working on the LHC are nothing more than dabbling amateurs (which is what you are saying, agree or not) is an insult to science and the people who have spent their lives do work deeper than you or I could ever understand.

Fear-mongering aside, there is only excitement (not terror) waiting for us when the LHC is turned back on.

I guess what I take umbrage with in your post is that you seem to suggest that scientists had no idea what would happen when they split the atom, when actually the reverse was true.

Quantum mechanics holds a special place in science in that theory led experimentation, which was a huge paradigm shift. Up to that point it was the reverse: scientists did experiments and then came up with a theory (mathematical model) to explain why it happened and provide predictive powers.

Quantum theory predicted that splitting the atom and releasing the "missing mass" as energy would provide roughly 1 million times the power that conventional reactions could muster.

The issue was that the technology wasn't up to snuff. Scientists didn't "stumble upon" atomic energy - they worked their way to it.

Like it or not, Hiroshima wasn't an accident - it was a deliberate effort to harness energies that scientists knew were out there.

So to suggest that the people working on the LHC are nothing more than dabbling amateurs (which is what you are saying, agree or not) is an insult to science and the people who have spent their lives do work deeper than you or I could ever understand.

Fear-mongering aside, there is only excitement (not terror) waiting for us when the LHC is turned back on.

I think the fact that they built the LHC and found the Higgs Boson erases any doubt from the fact that they are geniuses.

I think the fact that they built the LHC and found the Higgs Boson erases any doubt from the fact that they are geniuses.

This is exactly what I'm saying - they're not "playing around with forces they can't comprehend".

By the way - I really like how you compose yourself on this forum... props to you.

This is exactly what I'm saying - they're not "playing around with forces they can't comprehend".

By the way - I really like how you compose yourself on this forum... props to you.

Yeah. And I'm sure they'll use the proper caution anyhow.

And thanks.

Well, it was longer than one line this time. I guess you can call that progress.

Give it a couple months and I may be able to get you to start backing up your claims with evidence, data, theories, and all those funny things.

NO ONE yar nobody knowss!!...sigh. All those brilliant scientists just guessing their way through life apparently. I wonder how they just happened to stumble upon a Large Hadron Collider. And dropping that atomic bomb on Hiroshima, they had no idea of it's power. The Tsar bomb as well, yeesh. Did some atom work and a bomb just popped out unexpectedly :picard:.

You need to realize that Hiroshima wasn't just a consequence, it was the goal.

I enjoy the fact that you, at least, have an understanding of logic.

Knowing one's limitations is a sign of maturity.

Archived