The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Awards for the 2014-15: Your picks

-AJ-

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm saying Hammond for the Hart. The Hart is for the player judged to be most valuable to his team. I'm not saying Hart was the best goalie (he wasn't) but he was essential to the Senators run beyond just goaltending. He gave them belief and they played different in front of him than Anderson.

The Vezina can go to Price.

Agree, seems everyone else (especially OP) picked based on stats alone - that's not what the hart is about

I'm saying Hammond for the Hart. The Hart is for the player judged to be most valuable to his team. I'm not saying Hart was the best goalie (he wasn't) but he was essential to the Senators run beyond just goaltending. He gave them belief and they played different in front of him than Anderson.

The Vezina can go to Price.

ya he was important but sorry 24 games ain't enough

Hart

Winner- Alex Ovechkin- Simple fact that Washington is a bottom 5 team without Ovi. He was by far the best skater in the NHL this season, and stole games every time down the line.

Runner up- Carey Price- I see Montreal as a playoff team even if they replace Price with the average NHL goaltender. Will they be as good? Not at all, but none the less, they would still be a playoff team. Price was better than the other NHL goaltenders this season, but that gap is smaller than Ovy and the 2nd best skater in the NHL.

Finalist #2- John Tavares- Took his offence to another level this year, with over a PPG in the regular season and leading the Islanders to their best season in years.

HM: Jamie Benn, Mark Giordano, Rick Nash, Andrew Hammond

Calder

W- Mark Stone- Became the most important piece on the Senators after Maclean was fired along with Hammond. Offence was just as good as the other top candidates (Gaudreau, Forsberg), but he has the all around game to go along with it. Will be a real good player for the sens in the future.

Runner Up- Johnny Gaudreau- I had huge doubts about Johnny hockey buy he's proved me wrong. Electrifying player that tore up the NHL in his rookie season, and was the biggest offensive catalyst among all NHL rookies this season. Could be a 1B for the Calder IMO.

Finalist #2- John Klingberg- Honestly, he's the most underrated rookie this season. Anyone having Ekblad as a finalist should be replaced by this guy, even though people are going to go with Ekblad because of age (even though they shouldn't, it should go to the better rookie season). Played the tough minutes in Dallas and emerged as their number one defenseman. Deserves way more recognition than he gets.

HM: Filip Forsberg, Aaron Ekblad, Mike Hoffman, Kevin Hayes

Vezina

Carey Price- Landslide here.

Runner Up- Devan Dubnyk- Minnesota loves you Devan, you'll be getting a fat check soon.

Finalist #2- Brayden Holtby- A solid season from Holtby this year. He emerged back to form after a disastrous season last year and became the second most important person in Washington. His consistency this season gets him the finalist votes.

HM: Pekka Rinne, Steve Mason, Cory Schneider

Norris

Winner- Shea Weber- So this may be a bit of a homer vote as Shea is my favourite defense man in the NHL, but the guy is the heart and soul of Nashville. He is excellent at every part of the game, and is the defender you would least want to play against (Just read Kevin Shattenkirk's story in The Players Tribune). Hes deserved it each one of the past 4 years, and is the most consistent and reliable defender in the NHL today.

Runner Up- Erik Karlsson- Helped lead Ottawa to the playoffs after a late season surge by the Captain. Was the best defense man in the last 25 games or so in the NHL. I think weak first half of the season should hurt his votes a little bit, but knowing the NHL voters, he's the most likely candidate for win (They see the offense and vote right after).

Finalist- PK Subban- He developed an all-around game this season. The offense speaks for its self, but its his shutdown ability this year that has caught my attention. The most entertaining defense man in the NHL today.

HM: Mark Giordano, Roman Josi, Oliver Ekman-Larsson Drew Doughty

Ted Lindsay

Winner- Alex Ovechkin- Absolutely dominant season from him.

Runner Up- Carey Price- Another outstanding season here, just a little bit less than Ovy's is though.

Finalist #2-Andrew Hammond- His season was pretty damn outstanding, I think we can all agree on that here.

HM: Jamie Benn, Jakub Voracek, Erik Karlsson, Roman Josi, John Tavares

Selke

This trophy has turned out to be a joke lately, but I'll go with who I think will win. Should be renamed to The Reputation Trophy.

Winner-Patrice Bergeron (Should be Sean Couturier here)

Runner Up- Johnathon Toews (Should be Ondrej Palat here)

Finalist #2-Anze Kopitar (Should be Patrice Bergeron here)

HM: David Backes, Ryan Kesler, Tyler Johnson, Sean Monahan

Jack Adams

Winner-Bob Hartley-First time ever I'm using this, but AINEC.

Runner Up- Peter Laviolette- Even with the shaky ending, he still had an excellent campaign.

Finalist #2- Willie Desjardins- Excellent campaign as a rookie coach, leading the Canucks back to the playoffs after a forgettable season last year.

HM: Mike Yeo, AV, Barry Trotz

As you can see, I got very lazy in the last few awards. :P

Duodenum's NHL Awards:
Hart: Price (Ovechkin first runner up)
Vezina: Price (Dubnyk first runner up)
Norris: Karlsson (Subban first runner up)
Calder: Gaudreau (Ekblad really close)
Selke: Bergeron (Toews first runner up)
Jack Adams: Alain Vigneault (Hartley first runner up)
Hart:
Price, no contest. He should win by a country mile. First goalie in a long time to lead in Wins, SV%, and GAA in the same year. Godly numbers.
Ovechkin second due to his huge lead in goals on the 2nd highest player. Close to winning the Art Ross as well. Tavares would be pretty close to Ovechkin, but falls behind due to their goal differential.
Vezina:
Price, no contest.
Dubnyk came in and put Minny on his back. Finishes very strong in the SV% and GAA categories. It looked like Rinne would've been 2nd but has faltered down the stretch.
Norris:
Might've been Subban if Ottawa had not made the playoffs. Karlsson is back in fine form following his achilles injury. 60+ points, huge minutes, basically runs the Ottawa 5 man unit when he's on the ice. Top notch skating along with his 2nd 20 goal season.
Subban comes in very close to Karlsson. Almost as many points, almost as many minutes. Less takeaways, and more giveaways all hurt his cause. He also played the majority of the year with Markov while Karlsson's regular D partner, Methot, missed time with injury.
Giordano, if he had continued on his pace, would've beaten both Karlsson and Subban for the Norris this year.
Honourable mention to Roman Josi, who has had an amazing year himself.
Calder:
Gaudreau, the rookie leader in scoring, comes out on top here. He surpassed Forsberg due to the latter's slowing down in the 2nd half of the season. Magic with the puck, the shifty small forward has a very deceptive game, and made some of the top defenders in the NHL look foolish on many occasions. Hudler and Monahan have helped his production, being two good players in their own rights. His production continued right to the end of the season, where he helped the Calgary Flames return to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years. Has had a rookie year very reminiscent of Skinner's Calder winning season in 2010/2011. (Personal bias falls here as I saw much more of Gaudreau than of Ekblad).
Ekblad has been given big minutes for a rookie defender down in Florida. His defensive partner, Campbell, has helped guide him through his first NHL season. He has a man's body with great instincts both offensively and defensively. Like most young defenders, he struggled at times with shifty forwards, who were able to beat him one-on-one on more than one instance. He ended the year with only 7 points in his last 26 games while fighting for a playoff spot. Nevertheless, with 39 total points on the year, that placed him at 3rd all time in points by a rookie 18/19 year old defenseman. He would be very deserving of winning the Calder trophy.
Selke:
Bergeron wins this in a landslide. Less so on numbers and more so on reputation, the Selke has oft been a reputation-based trophy. Bergeron, however, would be very worthy of his 2nd Selke trophy. Take a look at these advanced statistics, noting that the Bruins have not been as good a possession team this year as year's past:
6th among forwards in Shot attempt percentage (58%)
1st in scoring chance percentage (60%)
Started only 29% of the time in the offensive zone.
1st in faceoff percentage, faceoffs taken, and faceoffs won.
4th in CORSI for percentage
1st in Shots for relative percentage.
Runner-ups: Toews, Kopitar
Many of their metrics rivalled Bergeron's except for one main difference: their usage. Bergeron started in the defensive zone far more than the aforementioned.
Jack Adams:
Probably will catch the most flack here, but Alain Vigneault is a great coach. This isn't his first time leading a team to the President's trophy. New York finished with the highest number of points and the highest number of regulation wins, two more than Tampa Bay. They were also first in goal differential at +60. They had the third highest goals per game along with the third lowest goals against per game. The Rangers look poised for a deep run in the playoffs. His main weakness is his love for pluggers, as displayed by his usage of Tanner Glass.
Bob Hartley is also a very deserving candidate, bringing the Flames back into the playoffs with a first round match-up against the Canucks. He has lead a very young team to the playoffs, even with a devastating injury to their best defender in Giordano. Monahan, Gaudreau, and Brodie have all had breakout years. Their possession stats don't lend them any hands, but possession isn't everything as displayed by the Kings failing to make the playoffs.
Feel free to agree/disagree!

Hart

Winner- Alex Ovechkin- Simple fact that Washington is a bottom 5 team without Ovi. He was by far the best skater in the NHL this season, and stole games every time down the line.

Runner up- Carey Price- I see Montreal as a playoff team even if they replace Price with the average NHL goaltender. Will they be as good? Not at all, but none the less, they would still be a playoff team. Price was better than the other NHL goaltenders this season, but that gap is smaller than Ovy and the 2nd best skater in the NHL.

Finalist #2- John Tavares- Took his offence to another level this year, with over a PPG in the regular season and leading the Islanders to their best season in years.

HM: Jamie Benn, Mark Giordano, Rick Nash, Andrew Hammond

Calder

W- Mark Stone- Became the most important piece on the Senators after Maclean was fired along with Hammond. Offence was just as good as the other top candidates (Gaudreau, Forsberg), but he has the all around game to go along with it. Will be a real good player for the sens in the future.

Runner Up- Johnny Gaudreau- I had huge doubts about Johnny hockey buy he's proved me wrong. Electrifying player that tore up the NHL in his rookie season, and was the biggest offensive catalyst among all NHL rookies this season. Could be a 1B for the Calder IMO.

Finalist #2- John Klingberg- Honestly, he's the most underrated rookie this season. Anyone having Ekblad as a finalist should be replaced by this guy, even though people are going to go with Ekblad because of age (even though they shouldn't, it should go to the better rookie season). Played the tough minutes in Dallas and emerged as their number one defenseman. Deserves way more recognition than he gets.

HM: Filip Forsberg, Aaron Ekblad, Mike Hoffman, Kevin Hayes

Vezina

Carey Price- Landslide here.

Runner Up- Devan Dubnyk- Minnesota loves you Devan, you'll be getting a fat check soon.

Finalist #2- Brayden Holtby- A solid season from Holtby this year. He emerged back to form after a disastrous season last year and became the second most important person in Washington. His consistency this season gets him the finalist votes.

HM: Pekka Rinne, Steve Mason, Cory Schneider

Norris

Winner- Shea Weber- So this may be a bit of a homer vote as Shea is my favourite defense man in the NHL, but the guy is the heart and soul of Nashville. He is excellent at every part of the game, and is the defender you would least want to play against (Just read Kevin Shattenkirk's story in The Players Tribune). Hes deserved it each one of the past 4 years, and is the most consistent and reliable defender in the NHL today.

Runner Up- Erik Karlsson- Helped lead Ottawa to the playoffs after a late season surge by the Captain. Was the best defense man in the last 25 games or so in the NHL. I think weak first half of the season should hurt his votes a little bit, but knowing the NHL voters, he's the most likely candidate for win (They see the offense and vote right after).

Finalist- PK Subban- He developed an all-around game this season. The offense speaks for its self, but its his shutdown ability this year that has caught my attention. The most entertaining defense man in the NHL today.

HM: Mark Giordano, Roman Josi, Oliver Ekman-Larsson Drew Doughty

Ted Lindsay

Winner- Alex Ovechkin- Absolutely dominant season from him.

Runner Up- Carey Price- Another outstanding season here, just a little bit less than Ovy's is though.

Finalist #2-Andrew Hammond- His season was pretty damn outstanding, I think we can all agree on that here.

HM: Jamie Benn, Jakub Voracek, Erik Karlsson, Roman Josi, John Tavares

Selke

This trophy has turned out to be a joke lately, but I'll go with who I think will win. Should be renamed to The Reputation Trophy.

Winner-Patrice Bergeron (Should be Sean Couturier here)

Runner Up- Johnathon Toews (Should be Ondrej Palat here)

Finalist #2-Anze Kopitar (Should be Patrice Bergeron here)

HM: David Backes, Ryan Kesler, Tyler Johnson, Sean Monahan

Jack Adams

Winner-Bob Hartley-First time ever I'm using this, but AINEC.

Runner Up- Peter Laviolette- Even with the shaky ending, he still had an excellent campaign.

Finalist #2- Willie Desjardins- Excellent campaign as a rookie coach, leading the Canucks back to the playoffs after a forgettable season last year.

HM: Mike Yeo, AV, Barry Trotz

As you can see, I got very lazy in the last few awards. :P

Well done on your guys' posts. I appreciate the effort that went into giving reasons for your choices :).

Archived