The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for advice on moving out at 18

Orka

I'm 21, and living alone temporarily.

While I find that my time living alone is a great experience, it also made me realize that I have a great relationship with my parents and that living with them would make a minimal amount of difference. Add on the fact that I'd actually be making money if I was staying with them and not just spending 2/3 of my pay cheques on rent and groceries...

Unless you have a terrible relationship with your parents (which you should try to mend before ditching them and moving out), I think staying at home is the most sensible thing to do until you decide to start your own family.

Enjoy your time at home and the great food you're going to be able to eat, establish boundaries, and living with your parents will be no different, if not better, than living alone.

I'm not saying don't do it, I moved out at 18 and went to college and worked and between my wage, grants and student loans it was totally doable. The reality is that operating your own place costs a lot more than rent and food. It really depends on your situation. If your home life is tolerable you should stick it and build as big a buffer of equity possible before moving out. If you can't stand living with your folks and can pay your bills, do it. Do not live on credit though. You don't have to learn that lesson the hard way.

This is good advice.

In general, I would recommend making a solid estimate of what it will cost you to live on your own (over and above anything you pay at home). Add at least 10% to it. Then, for at least a few months (preferably longer, put all that money in a savings account, and don't touch it. Once you are used to living on what is left, and are comfortable that you can "make it", you can make the jump with a nice little financial buffer. You'll probably need some of that just to get set up with some basics.

I'm a bit late to the game but - I moved out when I was 18. I was living in New West and attending UBC and the commute was killing me so I moved to Point Grey in the summer between 1st and 2nd year. My parents were also divorced (like the OP) for what it's worth.

I moved with a roommate, a friend since elementary school. We lived in a pretty run down basement suite but the landlords were cool and we were 2 young guys so we didn't care. I worked 20 hours a week and had no problems with money (I was lucky that my parents saved for my tuition and I didn't have to pay that, but I paid my own rent, groceries, etc). 20 hours a week might sound like a lot if you're in school full time but bear in mind, I cut my daily commute down from 3.5 hours to 30 minutes, that's 15 hours a week saved. Personally - and this is contrary to the popular opinion in this thread - but it was the best time of my life. I experienced so many more things and learned so many more life lessons than I could have living at home in New West. If you feel like you'll be able to handle it financially and you have the maturity to balance your school and social life, I recommend it 100%. But those are big "ifs" for many people.

I'm a bit late to the game but - I moved out when I was 18. I was living in New West and attending UBC and the commute was killing me so I moved to Point Grey in the summer between 1st and 2nd year. My parents were also divorced (like the OP) for what it's worth.

I moved with a roommate, a friend since elementary school. We lived in a pretty run down basement suite but the landlords were cool and we were 2 young guys so we didn't care. I worked 20 hours a week and had no problems with money (I was lucky that my parents saved for my tuition and I didn't have to pay that, but I paid my own rent, groceries, etc). 20 hours a week might sound like a lot if you're in school full time but bear in mind, I cut my daily commute down from 3.5 hours to 30 minutes, that's 15 hours a week saved. Personally - and this is contrary to the popular opinion in this thread - but it was the best time of my life. I experienced so many more things and learned so many more life lessons than I could have living at home in New West. If you feel like you'll be able to handle it financially and you have the maturity to balance your school and social life, I recommend it 100%. But those are big "ifs" for many people.

I appreciate your thoughts, and thanks for commenting even though this thread has been dead for a while. I'm still mulling through my options.

I suggest staying at home a bit longer, but pay your parents rent that they can put into a savings account for you until you are ready to move out. This will give you a chance to see just how far the dollar goes but also leave you with money towards a down payment for some day. Also don't ever buy or lease a new car at your age,I see so many young people do that as soon as they start to make a bit of money...save save save.

I suggest staying at home a bit longer, but pay your parents rent that they can put into a savings account for you until you are ready to move out. This will give you a chance to see just how far the dollar goes but also leave you with money towards a down payment for some day. Also don't ever buy or lease a new car at your age,I see so many young people do that as soon as they start to make a bit of money...save save save.

I thought my family was the only one that did this. Good to know other people know.

One question. how is your credit? if you have non or very limited you could always use any extra time living at home building credit so when you do want a new car or house etc you have a good credit score to do so.

it took me years living on my own to build a good credit score.

Just something to think about.

also do a budget of costs you will have to now take care of.

Phone

internet

Cable

Rent

Food

car

insurance

Gas and electric if it is not included in your rent

plus if you do party booze and other stuff aint cheap.

i don't own a very expensive place but i spend on average 3K a month on mortgage bills and food doesn't seem like much until you figure a 50K a year job will only pay you 3K a month after taxes. so plan ahead but still plan to have fun.

Archived