The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crusty Clark says no to taxing foreign real estate investors

Armada

The funny part is an additional foreign investor tax might level off/dip the market a touch but it certainly wouldn't tank it. It would really have negligible effect on home equity if implemented and managed well.

So you get happier constituents and more tax dollars for infrastructure, health care etc.

Or happy developers.

Putting emotion aside on my part.

I can understand where Clark is coming from. Restricting ownership puts her in a terrible light for foreign investors. It also alienates her from a very large voting bloc on the coast, Victoria and the Okanagan that would stand to lose a alrge portion of their investment/equity in a resulting price decline.

Her entire economic platform is a sham right now as she's done so very little to diversify the economic portfolio of BC. LNG, Tourism...that's really it. Resource extraction and housing prices. There are no mills or manufacturing left in BC.

Take away the absolutely ridiculous price of homes in vancouver and the Kelowna/Victoria area and alienate the investors from China and boom.

You're political career is over.

That being said, as a citizen of BC. Things have never been harder and they're just getting tougher. Screw her, her investor friends and the farking real estate agents of this province who shaft people with speculative pricing and that market homes overseas 6 months or more before they are even shown or marketed in Canada

I get why she's doing it. Much like Campbell, she is only in it for herself, and her party. Not the entire population she has been hired to manage the province for.

But the outcome of this plan will be an entire region (Lower Mainland) of the province owned by foreign investors.

Hey Cristy, Surrey has a shooting every week, what have you done?

And that's now. Imagine 20 years from now with an additional 1,000,000 people. Many of which won't give a rat's ass about the country, province, or city they live in.

The Surrey Indo Canadian community is doing even less than Clark? I'd start there on that issue before blaming her.

The Bacon brothers aren't Indian. And as the premier, it is her responsibility to stop this through proper management of policing and public safety.

I'm thinking she's taking the same approach as the Mount Polley tailings pond disaster.

If she would impose even a small tax on foreign investors purchasing land not for their primary residence, then we wouldn't need to increase the PST in Greater Vancouver to upgrade transit. Referendum solved!

This post is hilarious given the orgasm Armada had when the liberals won.

http://forum.canucks.com/statuses/all/?member_id=44433&st=180

Yes, I know I'm pathetic for remembering. But SUCK IT

Its fair to say BC will have a strong economy for the next 4 years! #winforBC #comebackkid #gochristygo #economyoverfraud #nananaheyeyeyeNDP #GoLIBSGo

:lol::picard::lol::picard:

The funny part is an additional foreign investor tax might level off/dip the market a touch but it certainly wouldn't tank it. It would really have negligible effect on home equity if implemented and managed well.

So you get happier constituents and more tax dollars for infrastructure, health care etc.

Or happy developers.

If she would impose even a small tax on foreign investors purchasing land not for their primary residence, then we wouldn't need to increase the PST in Greater Vancouver to upgrade transit. Referendum solved!

The Bacon brothers aren't Indian. And as the premier, it is her responsibility to stop this through proper management of policing and public safety.

I'm thinking she's taking the same approach as the Mount Polley tailings pond disaster.

I'm specifically referring to the recent news stories where victims and victims families were uncooperative.

wtf are we supposed to do

Not blame Christy Clark would be a good start. Anonymous tips to the RCMP might also be helpful.

But Listen, it's not meant as indictment if a Indo Canadians, I apologize if it came off that way. I was responding to Desiboy's comment which had little to do with the thread topic and was blaming Clark for something that the community itself (not just Indo Canadian, but Surrey) needs to own. Violence stops when violence is vocally opposed by the community. Block Watch. Community Events. Night Walks. These are all things that need to be done by ALL people in the affected areas. Again, I apologize if it came off as blaming Indo Canadians for the violence.

It really has little to do with foreign owned real estate though. The empty Surrey houses are most often owned by local investors who are holding off on the development until the value increases...which still sucks for the neighbourhoods it's happening in.

It really has little to do with foreign owned real estate though. The empty Surrey houses are most often owned by local investors who are holding off on the development until the value increases...which still sucks for the neighbourhoods it's happening in.

Not really the issue. Housing prices in many areas of Surrey are totally fine, and exactly what you'd expect given current interest rates. The demand is high for the big lots on the water in South Surrey, but that is to be expected.

The issue is in Vancouver, Burnaby, and Richmond. Foreign investors, who are profiting of corrupt governments and poor environmental and labour regulation, are driving up the price of real estate beyond reason.

I will be voting against Clarke. I'm not sure why people voted in favor of Gregor Robertson returning. He's failed in this regard as well. The whole crew needs to go.

Of coarse she needs those 'multicultural' votes come next election. How else is she going back to get re-elected?

Has nothing to do with "multicultural" people. The people who live here of Asian descent are suffering just as much as the Caucasians. It's the foreigners who do not live here who are the problem, and they need to be regulated and taxed.

Not really the issue. Housing prices in many areas of Surrey are totally fine, and exactly what you'd expect given current interest rates. The demand is high for the big lots on the water in South Surrey, but that is to be expected.

The issue is in Vancouver, Burnaby, and Richmond. Foreign investors, who are profiting of corrupt governments and poor environmental and labour regulation, are driving up the price of real estate beyond reason.

I will be voting against Clarke. I'm not sure why people voted in favor of Gregor Robertson returning. He's failed in this regard as well. The whole crew needs to go.

I agree. I was just trying to relate this topic to Surrey because I got off track.

I agree with that as well. Gregor is hyper pro-developer. The developers will continue to build as long as they can sell out the buildings to foreign owners. It wouldn't be that hard turn this into extra revenue by taxing non-resident owners a token amount. I doubt it would even slow the pace of development. Christy is on glue on this...in my opinion.

That's just where the issue is at its worst.

My friend bought a house at the far end of PoCo a couple of years ago. A 50 year old rancher with a typical yard, needed plenty of work, too. He paid just over 450,000 for it. With income to housing ratio being ideally 4:1, his family income would have to be over 100k per year (luckily it's just about there). However, the average family income in BC being ~72,000, his house on the outskirts of a Vancouver suburb would still be around 7:1, nearly double what an average family can afford comfortably. Things are out of whack in the lower mainland.

Most of my friends have moved to PoCo due to housing prices, and many are business owners making north of 150,000. I can imagine how an average family feels trying to live in a place like New West or Surrey.

Clark is satisfied with the current market and worries that if taxes on foreign real estate investors are implemented, “housing prices will drop.”

Lol, what a wretched witch she is.

The equity people have raised in their homes *since* foreign real estate investment became an issue, is artificially high due to foreign investment.

Taxation on foreign investments will subdue the number of foreign investors with no interest in the community here while also raising revenues for the province to spend on infrastructure *ahem Translink*; housing prices will also normalize to where they should be in the first place.

People might lose equity on paper, but the equity they are left with is a more realistic representation of what those equity values SHOULD be.

I'm all for foreign investment of commercial properties, but when I can't afford to buy a house to raise my family where I want to, and instead am forced to buy where I'm able to, I'm just downright pissed off.

Families first means that you don't cater to foreign investors at the cost of families being able to live where they want.

I had forgotten how bad things were here with Clark in power, first Campbell now this she-devil.

Archived