The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ultimately VAN - SJS

Trying to keep it real and something that makes sense for both teams..

Our current draft picks we have are: 1/4/5/5(NYR)/6

First proposal either:

VAN: Higgins <--> NYR: 2nd pick

VAN: Higgins + 5th(NYR) <--> NJD: 2nd pick

VAN: Lack + Corrado + 2nd (from previous trade) <--> SJS 9th overall

Why Canucks does this:

Corrado is a great prospect and sucks to let go but a 9th overall pick could mean a good high-end defenceman or my hope would be for Barzal. Yes he's a center and Cassel / Horvat / McCann are great but there is nothing preventing a centre to transition over to the wing. Barzal and Cassel both probably could be good wingers, also Lack vs Miller is arguable but sounds like SJS wants a younger goalie than Miller...

Why SJS does this:

Lack and Corrado immediately slot in to their lineup and can improve the team. they get an extra second rounder for their long term prospect and two young players that will improve as time goes along.

I accept all criticism but please let me know what you add/remove and why.

Trying to keep it real and something that makes sense for both teams..

Our current draft picks we have are: 1/4/5/5(NYR)/6

First proposal either:

VAN: Higgins <--> NYR: 2nd pick

VAN: Higgins + 5th(NYR) <--> NJD: 2nd pick

VAN: Lack + Corrado + 2nd (from previous trade) <--> SJS 9th overall

Why Canucks does this:

Corrado is a great prospect and sucks to let go but a 9th overall pick could mean a good high-end defenceman or my hope would be for Barzal. Yes he's a center and Cassel / Horvat / McCann are great but there is nothing preventing a centre to transition over to the wing. Barzal and Cassel both probably could be good wingers, also Lack vs Miller is arguable but sounds like SJS wants a younger goalie than Miller...

Why SJS does this:

Lack and Corrado immediately slot in to their lineup and can improve the team. they get an extra second rounder for their long term prospect and two young players that will improve as time goes along.

I accept all criticism but please let me know what you add/remove and why.

The NJ devils 2nd rounder is a lot more valuable than the NYR's one, so if it's the NJ 2nd your probably close to deal. They still would have cap to go out and sign other needs. They may want to remain having a pick in the first round.

So we’d be looking more like

Lack + Clendining/Stanton/Weber + 23rd overall

The NJ devils 2nd rounder is a lot more valuable than the NYR's one, so if it's the NJ 2nd your probably close to deal. They still would have cap to go out and sign other needs. They may want to remain having a pick in the first round.

So we’d be looking more like

Lack + Clendining/Stanton/Weber + 23rd overall

Yeah good call on that. I figured by adding Corrado instead of Stanton // Weber to the proposal that would make up for the difference of the 23rd overall to the spot in the 2nd but that said they probably are more inclined to do the trade with the NJ 2nd in the equation.

I'm sure there's a trade there for NJD 2nd and our young RFAs or a Vet +

I'd want to keep the 23rd overall mainly because I like Kylington / Roy as a defence prospect at that spot.

I think it's still weighed a bit into Vancouver's direction. They would be giving up a potential top line center for Lack, a bottom 4 defenseman and a shot in a lottery.

Maybe something more like.. Lack + Stanton/ Weber/ Clendening/ Corrado + NY/NJ second + 23rd overall?
But personally I don't think that goes in our favour anymore...

Maybe Lack + 2nd + 23rd overall?

I think it's still weighed a bit into Vancouver's direction. They would be giving up a potential top line center for Lack, a bottom 4 defenseman and a shot in a lottery.

Maybe something more like.. Lack + Stanton/ Weber/ Clendening/ Corrado + NY/NJ second + 23rd overall?

But personally I don't think that goes in our favour anymore...

Maybe Lack + 2nd + 23rd overall?

Yeah not too much of a fan on that...

I think it all depends on what SJS is planning the next 2 years or so... If they plan on dropping and rebuilding then they will be keeping the 9th overall.

However if they want to retool for their core, new goalie look and add to their defence then maybe Corrado // Lack are good pieces to turn them around...

Maybe they would want to target Tanev and maybe that's a feasible trade if its built on Tanev+

SJS would probably be more in the market for Miller I would think. They aren't getting rid of Thornton or Marleau as those guys probably won't waive their NTCs.

That means instead of retooling, they have to just go for it for the next couples years.

Miller gives them a better chance in that period, whereas Lack has a longer shelf life and may still get better... so it more suitable for a team that has already started its rebuild.

Yeah not too much of a fan on that...

I think it all depends on what SJS is planning the next 2 years or so... If they plan on dropping and rebuilding then they will be keeping the 9th overall.

However if they want to retool for their core, new goalie look and add to their defence then maybe Corrado // Lack are good pieces to turn them around...

Maybe they would want to target Tanev and maybe that's a feasible trade if its built on Tanev+

Maybe but I have a feel SJ will be hard in the market for green this summer. He's the D they've been missing since Boyle left. So Corrado might not a big interest by them. By still retaining a 1st round pick they can chose the direction they want to draft with a future piece.

SJS would probably be more in the market for Miller I would think. They aren't getting rid of Thornton or Marleau as those guys probably won't waive their NTCs.

That means instead of retooling, they have to just go for it for the next couples years.

Miller gives them a better chance in that period, whereas Lack has a longer shelf life and may still get better... so it more suitable for a team that has already started its rebuild.

Miller doesn't really provide that much more chance as he's not a whole lot greater in terms of currently play than Lack is already. If they really wanted to get the vet goalie, they would just resign Niemi for around a 4 million cap range, he's cheaper and his play is very similar to Millers. Sharks got to see Lack a lot last season. Miller is also a big cap hit to take on, picking up Miller means they lose the opportunity to try and make a splash in the UFA market. Lack + Mike green is a better chance at winning than Miller alone.

If there is a VAN - SJS trade, I vote this:

To SJS: Lack

To VAN: Hertl

SJS needs a goalie, and could use cap space to pursue Green or other D in free agency. Lack is a solid starting option that frees cap space. They have lots of forward depth and while Hertl is a blue chip young player, he took a step back last year and injuries may be an issue. He may well be the second coming of Milan Michalek, but that would be very reasonable return for Lack.

If they want Hamhuis to recreate Canada's World Championship top pairing, we should be able to get at the very least their first as well. I think SJS would love to acquire Hamhuis and Lack from us - it would address their two biggest offseason issues in a very, very cap-friendly way.

SJS needs a goalie, and could use cap space to pursue Green or other D in free agency. Lack is a solid starting option that frees cap space. They have lots of forward depth and while Hertl is a blue chip young player, he took a step back last year and injuries may be an issue. He may well be the second coming of Milan Michalek, but that would be very reasonable return for Lack.

If they want Hamhuis to recreate Canada's World Championship top pairing, we should be able to get at the very least their first as well. I think SJS would love to acquire Hamhuis and Lack from us - it would address their two biggest offseason issues in a very, very cap-friendly way.

San Jose can't afford to lose any young forwards, unless they get one back.

They could always just draft Crouse with their 1st. I can see Crouse dropping to San Jose's pick. Crouse can step into their lineup immediately, filling in for Hertl.

Hertl is pretty good right now and no one actually knows if Crouse can produce in the NHL right away... I also doubt Lack on his own would be able to get Hertl.... I'd do it on the Canucks side of things...

If all it took to get Hertl was to trade a goalie who's only played 86 NHL games, jeez.

Chevy, if you're listening, trade Michael Hutchinson and a 5th round pick for Hertl, please.

Archived