The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First a Pizzeria, then a Baker, now a Jeweller except ...

Neversummer

This is getting a bit ridiculous. Title is a bit misleading but here we go again, except this time, a bit of a twist. Jeweller made the rings for lesbian couple but they want refund cuz of a sign in the store that supported the sanctity of marriage.

C'mon lesbian couple ... don't you have better things to be worried about? You want to run this guy out of business?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/jewelry-store-sign-prompts-same-sex-couple-to-ask-for-refund-1.3077192

Jewelry store sign prompts same-sex couple to ask for refund

A same-sex couple from St. John's is upset after discovering the jewelry store that sold them their engagement rings has posted a sign that seems to oppose same-sex marriage — but one of the store's owners says he's allowed to post his religious beliefs.

When Nicole White and Pam Renouf went looking for engagement rings a few months ago, the pair couldn't find anything they liked. The couple was eventually referred to Today's Jewellers in the Mount Pearl area because the store offers custom-made rings.
White and Renouf visited the store and later gave specifications and a price range for potential rings.
"They were great to work with. They seemed to have no issues. They knew the two of us were a same-sex couple," White said.
"I referred some of my friends to them, just because I did get some good customer service and they had good prices."
That was before one friend went in to purchase a ring for his girlfriend — and instead found a distressing sign.
It reads: "The sanctity of marriage is under attack. Let's keep marriage between a man and a woman."

Annnnd all those vows to love and obey, better and worse through the centuries and the countless affairs men and women have had.

Sanctity. Right.

No no, I don't think this is about people's views on marriage, you know that there will always be differences. But you mean a person can't put up whatever sign he wants in his own store without public shaming?

I read this. I shook my head. You cannot arbitrarily decide you want your money back based on someone's views.

Also i wish people would start understanding. That the record so far shows that straight people violate the "sanctity of marriage" far more often and frequently than any gay or lesbian couple has.

Hell if I recall in the old testament, violating that sanctity was a hell worthy trespass where both people would burn for eternity. So...hey, gay and lesbians one, straight bigots 0 and a lake of fire

Good for them.

He's letting his views known with that sign, now they're letting their views known by exposing him. The jeweler decided to go public, correct? So he has to live with what ever comes his way now. It doesn't matter if they get a refund or not. This guy wanted his religous views known, well, you got it buddy. Everyone knows now, lol

It's not a reasonable reason for a refund. Just because I like to have my shirt off when I'm at home doesn't mean I'm going to walk out on a meal served by a restaurant with the policy, "No shirt, no shoes, no service."

And obviously the couple got served, so why should they complain? It's not like they were discriminated against. Does everyone have to agree with everything these days?

It's not a reasonable reason for a refund. Just because I like to have my shirt off when I'm at home doesn't mean I'm going to walk out on a meal served by a restaurant with the policy, "No shirt, no shoes, no service."

And obviously the couple got served, so why should they complain? It's not like they were discriminated against. Does everyone have to agree with everything these days?

Sure it is. If I find out the place I shop at supports something I disagree with, I may not want to support said shop and ask for a refund. Such is the case here. The store has no obligation to provide the refund, however. The women are within their right to ask for a refund, and the jeweler to refuse.

There's no lawsuit, so I don't really see an issue here. Hardly a story at all, and only because there are still bigots in Canada who like to parade their backward beliefs. I think that's the aspect of this story even marginally deserving of attention.

I fully supported the couple's side in the cake debate...in that case they were refused service because of their sexual orientation... in this case, I am on the side of the jeweler.

The couple got their ring, and even said the jewelers were lovely/nice people, even knowing they were a same sex couple... And now you want to ruin them for a sign? I am 100% for equality and I hate these overly religious people taking the LGB community down... But I dont feel anyone was wronged in this case.

There's no lawsuit, so I don't really see an issue here. Hardly a story at all, and only because there are still bigots in Canada who like to parade their backward beliefs. I think that's the aspect of this story even marginally deserving of attention.

That's an argument that can be used by both sides, just a heads up.

But you're right. It's hardly a story at all.

I fully supported the couple's side in the cake debate...in that case they were refused service because of their sexual orientation... in this case, I am on the side of the jeweler.

The couple got their ring, and even said the jewelers were lovely/nice people, even knowing they were a same sex couple... And now you want to ruin them for a sign? I am 100% for equality and I hate these overly religious people taking the LGB community down... But I dont feel anyone was wronged in this case.

Did you actually read the story?

"Ruin them for a sign?"

I guess not.

"I have no issues with them believing in what they believe in. I think everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But I don't think they should put their personal beliefs inside their business."
White and Renouf hope to get a refund when the man who sold them the rings returns to town next month — but it's not guaranteed.
White said the rings were meant to be a symbol of love, but now the bands seem tainted.

Yeah. Ruin.

Jardon said he's getting a big backlash from social media.
"I had to shut down the Facebook page because of so many hate emails and phone calls and just, really nasty stuff," he said.
When asked if he would offer a refund to the couple, Jardon said he won't be bullied into apologizing for his beliefs or to work for free.
He said the finished rings are ready to be picked up; White and Renouf just have to pay the balance.

The thing that's causing the backlash is that he's advertising his ass-backwards beliefs. Don't want the backlash? Don't parade your bigotry and backwardness to the public.

The owner's absolutely within his right to refuse the refund, however, I would say the best course of action is to charge for the work done, and refund the cost of materials.

The thing that's causing the backlash is that he's advertising his ass-backwards beliefs. Don't want the backlash? Don't parade your bigotry and backwardness to the public.

It's not wrong for people to advertise their beliefs. It's wrong for people to spew hate.

Did you actually read the story?

"Ruin them for a sign?"

I guess not.

Yeah. Ruin.

The owner's absolutely within his right to refuse the refund, however, I would say the best course of action is to charge for the work done, and refund the cost of materials.

Who brought this up to the media? The couple I am assuming...I know they have not started some boycott this jeweler campaign, but taking this to the media instead of working through this themselves was a tactic meant to bully/demean the jewelers and force them into a refund do to public backlash...

I agree with them in principal, and disagree with the sign, but I feel that they went over the top by doing this. Again, its not like they were refused service, and I doubt that sign just went up out of nowhere, they missed it the first time, before they paid for the service, now they have to suck it up.

So...let me get this straight (no pun intended).

He doesn't refuse them service based on their lifestyle, but after he makes them rings, they want a refund because he prefers seeing opposite sex marriages?

Note what that says - he didn't hang up a "I hate same sex marriages" - he hung up a pro opposite sex sign.

There's nothing "backwards" about that at all.

Talk about hypocritical - people here saying he has to accept their choice, but you can't accept his?

the couple admitted they were not discriminated against, were treated with respect and the product was delivered as expected. the business fulfilled their contract, regardless of their beliefs.

this is attention seeking behavior and shouldn't have been reported on. their parents failed and should be ashamed.

It's not wrong for people to advertise their beliefs. It's wrong for people to spew hate.

It's not wrong to have a reaction to their beliefs, either. This being Canada, they're not likely to find as many people who agree than don't. Ergo, a stupid business decision to publicize one's beliefs. Now they're paying for it.

They may have had a different reaction in Alabama.

Who brought this up to the media? The couple I am assuming...I know they have not started some boycott this jeweler campaign, but taking this to the media instead of working through this themselves was a tactic meant to bully/demean the jewelers and force them into a refund do to public backlash...

I agree with them in principal, and disagree with the sign, but I feel that they went over the top by doing this. Again, its not like they were refused service, and I doubt that sign just went up out of nowhere, they missed it the first time, before they paid for the service, now they have to suck it up.

They went over top by bring public's attention to a public sign in a public establishment? Again, if the jeweler didn't want a negative reaction, he shouldn't have publicized his beliefs. If anything ruins him, it'll be public opinion, not anything the couple did.

He doesn't refuse them service based on their lifestyle, but after he makes them rings, they want a refund because he prefers seeing opposite sex marriages?

Note what that says - he didn't hang up a "I hate same sex marriages" - he hung up a pro opposite sex sign.

Talk about hypocritical - people here saying he has to accept their choice, but you can't accept his?

Wait, stating that gay marriage attacks the sanctity of marriage isn't an anti-gay marriage sign? It's a pro opposite sex marriage sign? You sure?

There's plenty "backwards" about it, not least of all taking one's beliefs from an ancient desert text.

Yes, let's equate accepting gay marriage with accepting bigotry. That'll get us real far.

I'm straight white married and have my own blood children and I am proud

Ensuing sexist racist bigoted transgender phobe adoption hater panda lover comments incoming.

Seriously. I am a half blooded native so I got and still get all sorts of grief. But this country allows for you to openly display your beliefs.

There seems to be no issue here, except the couple DID in fact go to the media first for no reason.

And while I am far from a bigot or anything of the sort I have to ask why the hell the shop owner is not allowed to display a sign in a shop owned by himself free from persecution, yet the LGBT demands the right to host worldwide parades once a year disrupting every day life to flaunt their sexuality in our faces in the form of topless or leather clad or latex clad clothing.

Imagine going to the media making an issue because a shop owner has a rainbow flag in the window.

I don't understand why one person is allowed to make an issue of their beliefs but not another. It seems highly and disturbingly hypocritical.

When you demand rights for your beliefs you HAVE to respect the exact same from others. Period. There is no bias and nor should their be.

And yes, this shop owner will now in fact be known as a gay and lesbian hating individual and will feel an online and in person backlash for this. Happens every single time a story like this crops up.

Again. This shop owner has the right to display and speak his or her beliefs in the same way that the LGBT community is allowed to. That sign in their window should stir no more outrage than a rainbow flag should.

THAT is equality.

I'm straight white married and have my own blood children and I am proud

Ensuing sexist racist bigoted transgender phobe adoption hater panda lover comments incoming.

Seriously. I am a half blooded native so I got and still get all sorts of grief. But this country allows for you to openly display your beliefs.

There seems to be no issue here, except the couple DID in fact go to the media first for no reason.

And while I am far from a bigot or anything of the sort I have to ask why the hell the shop owner is not allowed to display a sign in a shop owned by himself free from persecution, yet the LGBT demands the right to host worldwide parades once a year disrupting every day life to flaunt their sexuality in our faces in the form of topless or leather clad or latex clad clothing.

Imagine going to the media making an issue because a shop owner has a rainbow flag in the window.

I don't understand why one person is allowed to make an issue of their beliefs but not another. It seems highly and disturbingly hypocritical.

When you demand rights for your beliefs you HAVE to respect the exact same from others. Period. There is no bias and nor should their be.

And yes, this shop owner will now in fact be known as a gay and lesbian hating individual and will feel an online and in person backlash for this. Happens every single time a story like this crops up.

Again. This shop owner has the right to display and speak his or her beliefs in the same way that the LGBT community is allowed to. That sign in their window should stir no more outrage than a rainbow flag should.

THAT is equality.

The owner is free to make any display of his bigotry he wishes. The public is free to make up their mind about shopping at his establishment and avoid it.

Where's the inequality in this arrangement? You don't think the public should be able to make up its mind about his establishment and avoid it?

This is precisely the consequence of presenting your opinion to the public. Any half-assed business person should know never to mix personal views with business. This guy is not just a bigot, but an idiot.

The owner is free to make any display of his bigotry he wishes. The public is free to make up their mind about shopping at his establishment and avoid it.

Where's the inequality in this arrangement? You don't think the public should be able to make up its mind about his establishment and avoid it?

This is precisely the consequence of presenting your opinion to the public. Any half-assed business person should know never to mix personal views with business. This guy is not just a bigot, but an idiot.

Ok

Now. Tell me honestly here

IF a straight couple were to go to the media because the nice shop owners had a gay an LGBT rainbow flag in their window supporting same sex marriage saying they thing it is wrong as it goes against their beliefs and what they deem to be acceptable and was seeking a refund

You don't think that would be an issue? You'd be ok with that?

This is a VERY serious question so please avoid the use of the word bigot or the like. This is at the heart of equality

So please do let us know what you think. Would a straight couple be ok in demanding a refund and going to the media as well? Would they receive the same treatment?

Archived