The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on the TSN 1040 (May 29)

Gstank29

It's not about "recapturing the past" or "repeating glory days".

We have a glaring hole on D of a fast guy who can skate/pass the puck and actually create offense in the opposition zone. Or did you both fail to notice how slow our D is and it's inability to move the puck out of our own zone, through the neutral zone or around the offensive zone this season? It was BLATANTLY obvious through most of the Calgary series. We lack skill and speed on our D. It's also the main reason our PP has been sub par since Ehrhoff/Salo left.

(It also lacks size but that's another issue...)

Ehrhoff would fill that temporarily until a Subban, Hutton, McNally or this year's 1st round draftee can hopefully fill it in 2-3 years.

Weber/Clendening are great complimentary/secondary offense guys who can play in a 6/7 role and occasionally fill in for injuries in the 2nd pairing. But they're not top 4 guys and Clendening especially has nowhere near Ehrhoff's speed.

Yes, Ehrhoff's not the player he was in 2011 (nor are the Sedins or Edler) but 2011 Ehrhoff >>> 2015 Ehrhoff >>>>>> Weber> Clendening.

Quite simply, it's role the team desperately needs filling and sooner than any of our own prospects will arrive to fill it (or anyone else on our roster). If you can sign Ehrhoff for anything around $3m (and/or aren't willing/able to go all out for Green), you do it. That said, I'd not be surprised if someone still threw $4m+ at him in which case I'd have to say we bow out.

Here's hoping he liked the city and recognizes how good of a fit he was with the twins/Edler as selling points towards a reasonable contract.

Well said JR. I am not saying that Erhoff is necessarily the answer to our defensive woes, however it seems like the "repeating glory days" statement is starting to carry a bit too much weight in the media as well as among some Canucks fans. Ultimately, you try and build the best team possible, even if that means Linden coming out of retirement and playing on the 4th line ;)

One of our defensive vets are likely to move on, and while we await the younger defenders to mature, some decisions will have to be made.

Markstrom and Mathias are the last remaining parts of the greatest long lasting trade legacy in Canuck history:

Linden -> Bert & McCabe & 3rd (Ruutu)

McCabe & 1st -> 1st (Sedin)

Bert, Auld & Allen -> Lui, Kraijeck & 6th (Shirikov)

Lui -> Markstrom & Mathias

1998 to present

17 years and still counting....

Well said JR. I am not saying that Erhoff is necessarily the answer to our defensive woes, however it seems like the "repeating glory days" statement is starting to carry a bit too much weight in the media as well as among some Canucks fans. Ultimately, you try and build the best team possible, even if that means Linden coming out of retirement and playing on the 4th line ;)

One of our defensive vets are likely to move on, and while we await the younger defenders to mature, some decisions will have to be made.

When linden came back, people didn't reject him as recycled glory days (well, some may have but I don't remember).

Markstrom and Mathias are the last remaining parts of the greatest long lasting trade legacy in Canuck history:

Linden -> Bert & McCabe & 3rd (Ruutu)

McCabe & 1st -> 1st (Sedin)

Bert, Auld & Allen -> Lui, Kraijeck & 6th (Shirikov)

Lui -> Markstrom & Mathias

1998 to present

17 years and still counting....

That is so cool.

Archived