The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

13 minutes ago, Yotes said:

That is good to hear, he seems to do quite well on faceoffs. Is he signed in europe next year or any chance he comes over to utica?

You’re testing my Jašek fandom. ;)

If memory serves, his Liberec deal runs through 2018-19, with the contact expiring just before the Canucks’ draft rights.

I’d be surprised to see him signed, even to an AHL only deal, before 2019. Of course there’s a chance, but I’d assume the plan is to leave him in Extraliga another year and then make an assessment as to whether or not we move forward with him as a part of the organization.

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You’re testing my Jašek fandom. ;)

If memory serves, his Liberec deal runs through 2018-19, with the contact expiring just before the Canucks’ draft rights.

I’d be surprised to see him signed, even to an AHL only deal, before 2019. Of course there’s a chance, but I’d assume the plan is to leave him in Extraliga another year and then make an assessment as to whether or not we move forward with him as a part of the organization.

Ahh okay thanks for that. He seems to have a good set of tools, hopefully he can stick with the big club gain momentum to finish of the year their. then next season have a decent year with them.

I hope we give him a contract offer down the road. We need to find that later round diamond in the rough, no harm in giving some guys a chance if they have decent upside

19 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Ahh okay thanks for that. He seems to have a good set of tools, hopefully he can stick with the big club gain momentum to finish of the year their. then next season have a decent year with them.

I hope we give him a contract offer down the road. We need to find that later round diamond in the rough, no harm in giving some guys a chance if they have decent upside

Yeah, obviously I’m rooting for him (as evidenced by my activity in this thread). :lol:

I think he has NHL upside. Not showing it much at the moment but there’ve been good glimpses at times this season of the player he could be. Good motor, high effort, active in three zones, great skater, strong positionally, good battle level, feisty and can be physical at times, pretty decent shot (just really snakebitten of late) and good playmaking, plus the versatility to play 3 forward positions. 

He hasn’t seen much PK usage but I think eventually that’s an area he’ll add to his game. 

I see him as a bottom six energy forward who can play in all situations and brings a lot of speed to the ice. Has a good offensive skill set, but probably will need to earn his spot on the strength of his two-way game.

He’s still pretty skinny and needs to add muscle to his frame as he develops his “man strength” and matures. Still a very young looking kid for 20 years old. So lots of room to develop physically and get stronger. 

But he’s had some games this year where he’s been dominant, in terms of his battle level for loose pucks, defensive contributions, ability to push the pace, advance then puck in the right direction, and effort to sustain and extend offensive zone possession. Definitely has had moments where he looked like a guy you could imagine playing NHL hockey as a valuable contributor on the bottom two lines, and also special teams.

• Upvote 2

Jašek played today for Liberec (Extraliga). Another five minute outing. Managed a couple shots, a hit, a faceoff win, and a holding penalty. 

Hopefully he starts playing a little more the next few games.

Otherwise, maybe he’s actually better served playing WSM Liga (Czech 2nd tier). Last game down with HC Benatky nad Jizerou, he played over 25 minutes and had 1G 2A.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jašek back down playing in WSM Liga with HC BNJ. Logged 22+ minutes (team high) as 1RW (and he also played some C). Picked up an assist in a 4-3 loss. He now has 4 points (1G 3A) through 3 games at the WSM Liga level this season.

Id prefer to see him down there for about a month to pick up his speed and confidence 

I really hope he's able to come over here next season. It would be beneficial for us to have more control over his ice time. I can only imagine how much of an impact this could have on him mentally (although I could be wrong in that too).

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I really hope he's able to come over here next season. It would be beneficial for us to have more control over his ice time. I can only imagine how much of an impact this could have on him mentally (although I could be wrong in that too).

I can’t tell if the current usage is button pushing or message sending or just that the Liberec coaches feel like the other players give them better chances to win. But I’m a bit baffled as to why they’d bother recalling him just to give him 2 minutes of icetime. Seems better to leave him down if they’re not gonna play him. With BNJ (WSM Liga), Jašek would play 20-25 minutes per night, with 4-5 minutes 1st unit PP, and was even seeing 2-3 minutes on the PK (a role he doesn’t ever seem to play in Extraliga but one I believe he might thrive in eventually).

I dunno. Might have to translate some Czech articles and see if there’s a method to the current madness.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I agree.

He's got the raw talent. 

I'd like to see what higher quality mentorship would do for him. His numbers seem to indicate defensive issues but without seeing him play or the situations he's being played in, it's impossible to tell.

3 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I agree.

He's got the raw talent. 

I'd like to see what higher quality mentorship would do for him. His numbers seem to indicate defensive issues but without seeing him play or the situations he's being played in, it's impossible to tell.

I wouldn’t worry about his defense. From what I’ve seen of Jašek, it’s actually a strength of his game. Really well positioned in his own zone, works hard for loose pucks along the wall and in the corners, and pressures puck carriers in three zones.

I think his defensive numbers speak more to the team he’s on and the usage he’s seen this year.

First off, Liberec aren’t good. They’re like -22 goal differential and 10th place in a 14 team league.

Secondly, outside of an early stretch where Jašek was scoring and playing favourable minutes with top line mates, he’s had a lot of games playing checking and energy roles with quite a bit of 5v5 defensive usage and linemates who trend toward the plug variety.

He’s also had the misfortune of playing his best hockey, and highest minutes, while the team was struggling early and racking up quite a few losses. Then his icetime got cut as the vets started producing. The combination likely depressed his overall defensive stats.

Even still, from the analytics perspective, he’s middle of the pack on shot differentials, which is pretty good considering his season.

Its too bad our european prosepcts are locked into deals over their. With our injuries and utica having an asburd amount of guys there on PTO's I would much rather see a Jasek, Dahlen, Palmu, heck Pettersson get ice in Utica.

I know it wont happen but getting warm bodies to play with our prospects instead of trying to ice more of our prospects together is a shame we cant change that. Maybe a jasek/Palmu would have had to start in the echl, but I am sure by now he and maybe Palmu could have been iced in Utica

Jašek is back with Liberec in Extraliga.

Currently playing versus HC Vítkovice Ridera.

He’s getting decent minutes today on their 3rd line (playing RW) alongside Ordoš and Bližňák (yes the one and the same as the former Canuck).

I’d imagine Jašek’s performance in the CHL semi (where he scored the game tying and only goal for Liberec—see highlight in post above) helped him, at least to some degree, get back in his coaches’ good graces.

Early usage suggests Jašek could play 12-15 minutes this game, which would definitely be an improvement over his recent TOI totals in Extraliga.