The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Spector Hurls Some Sense At Your Face

awalk

Is it that difficult?

1) Kassian has all the tools, never put them together. He was done w/ Canucks, no question

2) Opens up a roster spot for younger player like Virtanen, which is what we all want

3) Prust is a beaut. Pure leader, team guy who is going to show our young guys like Virtanen, Cassells and McCaan how to play. Kassian is the exact opposite of that.

How does having prust on the team open a roster spot?

CDC has never been close to being as bad as it is right now, maybe it is just a lot of summer posters but some of the reactions have just been clueless and impatient.

Yes school's out and as bad as it got here last summer the moaners, tankers, and whiners are going to be even worse this year. They want results NOW and cannot see how things don't work in a vacuum but are synergistic. Benning has just finished his first year, and is still cleaning things up and bringing in the team culture he wants. That means removing players that don't fit that vision as well as the old leadership to give space for the new leaders to take over. That also means sometimes you get little to no (perceived) value when disposing of assets.

One media guy corrected perceived this today and asked Benning about his accumulation of expiring contracts. That combined with his admission they are still looking to make deals (read: opening roster spots) means this is going to be transition year in likely a "holding" state, and by the 2016 TDL, draft, and FA they are going to be major players with draft picks and capspace in a deep draft and FA pool.

Yes this season will probably be similar or a regress, but by this time next year things are going to look substantially different as his vision for this team starts to take shape.

Spector isn't writing he's typing. The crime is he actually gets paid to type this dreck. Hard to think of a worst writer in any genre now that I think of it.

Tony Gallagher? Botchford? Pratt? Obviously hadn't thought too hard.

I would say there's an equal amount of those that post that Benning can do no wrong.

Then there is the rest of us in the middle.

:lol: :lol:

I would say there's an equal amount of those that post that Benning can do no wrong.

Then there is the rest of us in the middle.

I'm pretty well in the middle, but I'm a big fan of the fact that the team is really transitioning right now. It's nice to see.

MG made more bonehead moves than he did great ones.

Great move: Ehrhoff for a draft disaster Patrick White

Bonehead move: Luongo Contract

Bonehead Move: NTC like Caaaandy

Great move: Locking up the twins for reasonableness

Bonehead Move: Trading draft picks for crap

Bonehead Move: Being rubbish at drafting what picks were left

Great Move: Chris Tanev

Bonehead Move: Keith Ballard

Bonehead move: David Booth

Great Bonehead move: Cory Schneider for Bo Horvat pick. Great because it's Horvat and he looks to be panning out. Bonehead because he reaaaally should have gotten more back for it, and because he had to do it at all due to Luongo Contract (see above)

So it's fair to take swipes at him.

We were able to sign key players to very reasonable contracts because of the NTCs. In the end, we got max use out of these players in their good years, and were able to flip them for future assets when they were on the decline

Luongo: Returned Markstrom and Matthais

Garrison: 2nd Rnd Pick

Bieksa: 2nd Rnd Pick

Kesler: 1st Rnd Pick, and a solid center in reurtn

David Booth: Received 3rd Pick for taking on Booth (Cassels)

It sounds like good asset management to me. Unload salary for aging vets, and receive younger assets.

Horvat for Schneider was a good deal for the Canucks. Look what Lack got.....a 3rd rnd pick. Obviously, Schneider was a better goalie, but not the difference between a late first round pick and a 3rd rnd pick.

Prust is on the 4th line. Kassian should have been in top 6. Top 6 spot is ideally open now for a young guy like Virtanen.

The roster is currently full unless you are willing to waive somebody and Jake getting immediately into the top six is totally against Bennings whole "earn your spot" thing.

The roster is currently full unless you are willing to waive somebody and Jake getting immediately into the top six is totally against Bennings whole "earn your spot" thing.

The top 6 isn't filled out and any player who earns it out of training camp will get the chance to start there. Prust is not that guy. Virtanen now has a spot opened up from where Kassian would slot in on paper. # of contracts doesn't matter at all.

Is it that difficult?

1) Kassian has all the tools, never put them together. He was done w/ Canucks, no question

2) Opens up a roster spot for younger player like Virtanen, which is what we all want

3) Prust is a beaut. Pure leader, team guy who is going to show our young guys like Virtanen, Cassells and McCaan how to play. Kassian is the exact opposite of that.

Also, Kassian was a top 6 player and Prust is bottom 6. Clearly Benning is making room in the top 6 for someone.

I always wonder what people who criticize the Luongo contract would have done with Luo at the time? I'm willing to bet that gmmg didn't like the contract much either but the alternative was to let Lou go for nothing. Seems to me that's what it took to keep Luo here so maybe regarding his contract people should be mad at Lou.

Also. Having the NTC with all those players enabled us to get said players cheaper. Which one (or 2)of those guys would you have given up from our 2011 run? Burrows? Bieksa? Twins?

I don't recall all the complaining about the contracts at the time

It's a pretty easy job building a team that can challenge for the cup every year. I'm. Sure any one of us on cdc could put in an application to any nhl team and get hired.

cool story bro ;)

I have been a re-build guy since 2012-13. Hopefully I have not been disrespectful in advocating that. I

respect veteran players who have played here but it is the GM's responsibility to acquire players who

will win a CUP. Aging players who have a solid youth group to help can deliver a solid effort at a CUP. The problem facing Vancouver for decades is the depth of the org. The current group of vets do not have the support necessary. For that reason I opt for a re-build. That process cannot protect any roster

player from being moved. It is a evolution that cannot be denied. IMHO a re-build is now 3 years late.

The 2015 Draft was to be a land mark offer. Benning is convinced that 2016 Draft will also be solid.

Perhaps Canuck fans are now conditioned to the reality that a re-build is absolutely necessary.

Drafting in the top 5 requires a brutal season. Why top 5? It gives the org a player which a CUP

contender can be built around. The only player Van has that can hope to be that type of player is Bo

Horvat. Benning could hit a home run with one of his later drafts but the odds increase significantly.

Since I do not think Van will make playoffs this year I hope Benning can move more vets towards the 2016

Draft. March deadline is a ideal opportunity. Van will have a number of vets available. Those vets might

enjoy a CUP run with another club as their careers start to wind down.

sorry to disappoint you but Van is gonna pull a CGY this year and make it pass 2 rounds but then lose

Archived