The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Spector Hurls Some Sense At Your Face

awalk

captain-obvious.jpeg

"Hockey is a sport played on ice with skates, sticks and pucks. It's entertaining for people to watch."

"When a hockey team loses, that means they didn't win."

"Mark Spector gets paid money to write words."

You're a funny guy

Kinda of hard to get the most out of your players when so many have NTC's and NMC's.

Benning is just cleaning up the mess. Gillis is the one that let the party get out of hand.

I don't really mind anything he's done except for trading Lack. I would personally have never signed Miller to begin with. Lack could have done the job almost as well, for a much lower price and he will only get better. Now we've had to trade a potential starting goalie for draft picks who will likely never make the NHL.

This is years too late to have any meaning. Hardly anyone is clinging to the idea that the Canucks are still a contender and need to keep all their vets for a run at the cup. The overwhelming voice from Canuck fans is trade the vets for picks.

Since when is Bieksa good enough to bump Beauchemin?

Or is he just suggesting that with Bieksa in they won't bother with contract talks with FB?

Pretty much every Ducks fan thinks Beauchemin isn't re-signed because of the Bieksa trade. Sounds like an extension for Kevin is in the works as well so Beauch is a UFA.

This is years too late to have any meaning. Hardly anyone is clinging to the idea that the Canucks are still a contender and need to keep all their vets for a run at the cup. The overwhelming voice from Canuck fans is trade the vets for picks.

So why the F do the Canucks HAVE to be a contender to win the cup? The overwhelming voice can suck it! Was the overwhelming voice wrong in 94? Uh, yeah! Was the overwhelming voice wrong when they said we'd never bounce back after Torts? Uh, yeah! Confronting the need to fit in will set you free!

MG made more bonehead moves than he did great ones.

Great move: Ehrhoff for a draft disaster Patrick White

Bonehead move: Luongo Contract

Bonehead Move: NTC like Caaaandy

Great move: Locking up the twins for reasonableness

Bonehead Move: Trading draft picks for crap

Bonehead Move: Being rubbish at drafting what picks were left

Great Move: Chris Tanev

Bonehead Move: Keith Ballard

Bonehead move: David Booth

Great Bonehead move: Cory Schneider for Bo Horvat pick. Great because it's Horvat and he looks to be panning out. Bonehead because he reaaaally should have gotten more back for it, and because he had to do it at all due to Luongo Contract (see above)

So it's fair to take swipes at him.

I always wonder what people who criticize the Luongo contract would have done with Luo at the time? I'm willing to bet that gmmg didn't like the contract much either but the alternative was to let Lou go for nothing. Seems to me that's what it took to keep Luo here so maybe regarding his contract people should be mad at Lou.

Also. Having the NTC with all those players enabled us to get said players cheaper. Which one (or 2)of those guys would you have given up from our 2011 run? Burrows? Bieksa? Twins?

I don't recall all the complaining about the contracts at the time

It's a pretty easy job building a team that can challenge for the cup every year. I'm. Sure any one of us on cdc could put in an application to any nhl team and get hired.

Over the past weeks I have become confused and honestly surprised by a lot of reactions by other Canuck fans basically saying that Benning is the worst thing that's happened to this franchise. Even questioning if Baertschi was worth giving up Kylington for just as an example. Baertschi will most likely be wearing a Canucks uniform next year and getting points for this team meanwhile Kylington was passed by most of the teams in this league twice before he was selected and has absolutely no guarantee of becomming an NHLer...

It angers me so intensely that people just think that players outside of this organization are somehow incredible in comparison and that all these changes need to happen just for the sake of it. Not even understanding simple supply and demand in a market. Wake up. Teams weren't fighting for Lack like they were the other keepers CLEARLY because the return would have been greater then. I'm not here to defend Benning but it is obvious this man is doing what he believes to be the best approach to build a stanley cup winner with the tools he has (and it is not a lot like it says in this article). It doesn't happen over one season, especially with a very old core with trade clauses.

CDC has never been close to being as bad as it is right now, maybe it is just a lot of summer posters but some of the reactions have just been clueless and impatient.

I don't understand peoples negative reaction of the return on Bieksa after reading for years how awful he is on here.. Why would such an awful defender return anything more than a 2nd rounder? The way he has been spoken about over the past few years I'm really surprised he fetched more than a 7th.

The grass isn't always greener on the otherside and an old Ehrhoff is not the answer to a Stanley Cup unless you have a few Toews and Crosbys playing for you. Sickening this stuff, absolutely sickening.

I have been a re-build guy since 2012-13. Hopefully I have not been disrespectful in advocating that. I

respect veteran players who have played here but it is the GM's responsibility to acquire players who

will win a CUP. Aging players who have a solid youth group to help can deliver a solid effort at a CUP. The problem facing Vancouver for decades is the depth of the org. The current group of vets do not have the support necessary. For that reason I opt for a re-build. That process cannot protect any roster

player from being moved. It is a evolution that cannot be denied. IMHO a re-build is now 3 years late.

The 2015 Draft was to be a land mark offer. Benning is convinced that 2016 Draft will also be solid.

Perhaps Canuck fans are now conditioned to the reality that a re-build is absolutely necessary.

Drafting in the top 5 requires a brutal season. Why top 5? It gives the org a player which a CUP

contender can be built around. The only player Van has that can hope to be that type of player is Bo

Horvat. Benning could hit a home run with one of his later drafts but the odds increase significantly.

Since I do not think Van will make playoffs this year I hope Benning can move more vets towards the 2016

Draft. March deadline is a ideal opportunity. Van will have a number of vets available. Those vets might

enjoy a CUP run with another club as their careers start to wind down.

I have been a re-build guy since 2012-13. Hopefully I have not been disrespectful in advocating that. I

respect veteran players who have played here but it is the GM's responsibility to acquire players who

will win a CUP. Aging players who have a solid youth group to help can deliver a solid effort at a CUP. The problem facing Vancouver for decades is the depth of the org. The current group of vets do not have the support necessary. For that reason I opt for a re-build. That process cannot protect any roster

player from being moved. It is a evolution that cannot be denied. IMHO a re-build is now 3 years late.

The 2015 Draft was to be a land mark offer. Benning is convinced that 2016 Draft will also be solid.

Perhaps Canuck fans are now conditioned to the reality that a re-build is absolutely necessary.

Drafting in the top 5 requires a brutal season. Why top 5? It gives the org a player which a CUP

contender can be built around. The only player Van has that can hope to be that type of player is Bo

Horvat. Benning could hit a home run with one of his later drafts but the odds increase significantly.

Since I do not think Van will make playoffs this year I hope Benning can move more vets towards the 2016

Draft. March deadline is a ideal opportunity. Van will have a number of vets available. Those vets might

I bet we see one or two vets move along per year.

Since when is Bieksa good enough to bump Beauchemin?

Or is he just suggesting that with Bieksa in they won't bother with contract talks with FB?

Actually Ducks GM came out yesterday and said himself that Bieksa and Beauch are incredibly similar players, that Bieksa is a better skater but Beauch is meaner.

And then today Beauch signed with Colorado. Soooo...I'd say, since when? Since yesterday ;)

I agree with most of your post, but I do think Virtanen is going to be a stud player for the Canucks. Taken at #6 overall.... people want to hate on him just because , as you said , grass is greener ...

I'm also a rebuild guy. This is the first time we've really seen a guy like Bieksa moved for just draft picks... Canucks fans are a bit confused by this. It's signaling a long - needed transition. Pretty cool, despite the fact that some of the moves have been head scratchers. I'm excited to sit back and see what Benning does with the team. Worst thing that can happen is we still get no cup... but we're all used to that now aren't we? :P

Surprisingly, I agree with Mark. I hope that there's no NTCs in the new contracts signed by Benning.

"Having the NTC with all those players enabled us to get said players cheaper." - it also hampers the team when the player's production takes a downturn. Feel good doesn't help you when you have to turn this team around when your team's core goes into the tank.

"I'm excited to sit back and see what Benning does with the team. Worst thing that can happen is we still get no cup... but we're all used to that now aren't we? :P" 45 years, awalk, buddy, 45 years... ~sigh~

Here's to hoping we get one before I end up "fertilizing grass".

Part of the team's restructuring is the mindset - Prust is noted as "being a great team guy, willing to do whatever it takes to win, no matter the cost to his body" according to The Hockey Writers before they hurled some venom. Part of the team's current make-up is that they disappear in the playoffs. Prust is probably an addition to the locker to help change that dynamic.

Can he make sense at trading Kassian for an older 4th liner with a million dollar more salary?

Is it that difficult?

1) Kassian has all the tools, never put them together. He was done w/ Canucks, no question

2) Opens up a roster spot for younger player like Virtanen, which is what we all want

3) Prust is a beaut. Pure leader, team guy who is going to show our young guys like Virtanen, Cassells and McCaan how to play. Kassian is the exact opposite of that.

Archived