The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning will NOT attempt to re-sign Hamhuis or Vrbata this summer

Warhippy

So we got Hamhuis at 27 for nothing back in 2010, but now we're supposed to get some great return for him now at 33? Boy, I sure hope the other 29 GMs don't figure out what we're up to, that would ruin everything!

Much worse dmen have gotten good returns at the deadline. Hamhuis is worth a 1st rounder to a cup contender at the trade deadline. Vrbata had an amazing regular season but sucked against the flames when it mattered, might make teams gun shy trading a 1st at the deadline but you never know. He would look good with a team thats close to a cup but needs a pp weapon.

I still believe Hamhuis is gone before the season gets underway. We all will miss 2011 pre injury Hamhuis, however the return could be great in a prospect and 1st and I don't think it will take until the deadline to receive that type of deal. I won't miss the constant cough ups personally

Detroit or New York Rangers.

Does it shock anyone that Benning is incapable of keeping his mouth shut? What is the benefit of telling the media you're looking to 'evaluate' these guys? Why not just send a personal message to all other GMS reading the following:

"I don't like these two guys please send me you know some offers so we can you know recapture some sixth rounders or something"

Basically just invited the entire league to entertain offers at bargain basement returns

Benning lets the markets know early that for the right price, Hamhuis and Vrbata are available.

That's something that eventually, Vancouver will know. Might as well tell the locals, standing outside Benning's office window with pitchforks.

Yea remember Vermette did the exact same thing, they got a 1st rounder out of it and he re-signed in the summer lol

St Louis has done it twice. They traded Tkachuk at the deadline in 2007 and he re-signed with St Louis in July. In 2006 they also traded Weight at the deadline and he re-signed in July.

Archived