The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning will NOT attempt to re-sign Hamhuis or Vrbata this summer

Warhippy

Interesting long-term perspective. I wish we knew what JB had up his sleeve because I'm not sure what to make of all this.

So, here's how I would play this.

JB has already stated that we are a team in transition. The expectation this year is to be competitive but not a competitor.

I would love to keep Hamhuis, and have him finish his career here, but I'd also love to get a first and a prospect for him at the deadline. So,

Have discussion with Hamhuis about trade at the deadline to a contender so he can go try and get his name on the cup. Get 1st and B level prospect back and then resign him July 1st to 3 years, 13 million deal (5, 5, 3).

Trade Vrbata at deadline for 1st and B level prospect and let him go, no plan to resign.

Trade Prust at deadline for 3rd.

Go into draft next year with 3 1st rounders in what is supposed to be an even deeper draft, if Benning is right.

July 1st 2016, sign Seabrook, 6 years 33 million (8, 6, 6, 6, 4, 3) and Lucic (still not sure how I feel about him on the team, but what the hell, let's have fun here) 6 years, 34 million (8, 7, 6, 6, 5, 4)

New lineup for 2016 season:

Horvat, Lucic, Virtanen (yes, I'm making an assumption here on progress)

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows (now 2nd line)

Cassels, Vey, Baertschi

McCann, Kenins, Grenier

Edler, Seabrook

Hamhuis, Tanev

Sbisa, Pedan

Miller

Markstrom

Extras

Trade Miller at 2017 deadline.

I'm sure I screwed up some pairings, but would love to have 3 firsts next year! Would set us to be contenders again for 2018 season.

Province drama..

There is no rush to do this. There are many other things to get done before worrying about this.

Much ado about nothing.

Spot on. Those turds like to stir the pot. Benning made a comment and Jamieson twisted it to sell the story ten ways to Sunday. Only Hamhuis and Benning know the real story. Hammer should stay as a steady mentor on the blueline, unless Benning is looking at acquiring a defenseman like Seabrook through free agency or the likes of Shea Weber through a trade.

Vrbata is a great regular season sniper but a whiff of himself in the playoffs. I won't miss him one bit.

Seriously, can Jim Benning just shut up for once? He keeps lowering trade value like this.

How does it lower trade value? The more teams aware a player is available the more teams calling with offers. If it's top secret a player is available how do you get a bidding war going?

Province drama..

There is no rush to do this. There are many other things to get done before worrying about this.

Much ado about nothing.

Much ado about nothing is right. Makes complete sense for Benning to kick the tires with their agents but do nothing about signing extensions until he sees where the team is at approaching the deadline. We won't be buyers when it comes to rentals, but we may be sellers.

Not trying to be negative but we may very well lose them for nothing. Just preparing for that distinct possibility.

I'm usually positive as well as very understanding of the various factors and crappy, complex situations management find themselves in, but If we lose either of them for nothing I'll jump off a cliff

I still believe Hamhuis is gone before the season gets underway. We all will miss 2011 pre injury Hamhuis, however the return could be great in a prospect and 1st and I don't think it will take until the deadline to receive that type of deal. I won't miss the constant cough ups personally

So the kid that replaces him will never cough up a puck?

Its funny how everyone in the media is blowing this up. He didn't say that he wouldn't resign them, just that its not something he's doing right now.

His focus is getting current RFA's signed and everyone ready to start the season.

There's a full 12 months before these guys become UFA's and everyone is acting like its happening next week.

So we ARE in a rebuild then.

As long as we get the definitions right. This is REALLY important. Is it re-tool, or a re-jig? Maybe more like a reset, or a revision? Personally I see it as a re-cast, or at least a restart. Maybe re-up is better. Remodel?

Remodel works, or you can pick your own term. Whatever tickles your fancy. Or perhaps you prefer "whatever floats your boat" or "Whatever melts your butter" or "Whatever bakes your cake" or "Whatever lights your candle" or "Whatever tosses your salad". As long as we get the definition right, eh buddy.

Point taken. It isn't really a common occurrence though, and it shouldn't be counted on is all I'm saying.

What is it about Arizona? It must be a great place to live.

The middle class can go watch you play for dirt cheap and get free parking, free skating, free hot dogs, drinks, free chips, free ticket to cineplex, free ticket to the pheonix zoo, coupon for an extra value meal at Mc Donalds, free ticket to watch the Arizona Diamondbacks, $25 dollars off vehicle permit at the Grand Canyon National Park, Free ticket to Hall Of Flame fire museum, Free ticket to the Mesa Arts Museum, Free ticket to Pioneer Living History Village, Free ticket to see the Chicago Black Sox at Camelback Ranch during pre-season play, and a free nights stay at the Hotel Westward Ho.

Oh and it doesn't rain for three and a half months at a time.:P

Archived