The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing Eras: A statistical analysis

-AJ-

Often, when people try to compare players from different eras, they run into issues of drastic changes in the play styles. Everyone knows that the 80’s were times of a run-and-gun style of hockey, whereas today’s hockey emphasizes much more defensive measures.

So the question is, how do we compare these eras? Frankly, it’s not possible to do it perfectly. That said, it is possible to get a bit of an estimation using a little bit of math. I have taken 23 of the most significant skater (not goalie) seasons in NHL history and adjusted them for today’s offense. It’s very interesting to see how many of the numbers change depending on the era.

For those interested, this is the formula I used:

(League-wide-Goals-per-game in 2014-15/League-wide-Goals-per-game in selected season) x Stat desired = stat in today’s numbers

As an example Bernie Geoffrion’s 50 goals in 1960-61. (2.73/3.0) x 50 = 37.09 goals

Interesting things that I noted:

- Joe Malone’s Era was mega high offense, but his 82 game stats still translate to 99 goals in a season

- Ace Bailey led the league in 1928-29, which was the lowest scoring year in league history. His stats in today’s goals/game project to well over a point per game.

- The 40’s was an offensive era and Richard’s 50-in-50 turns into 37-in-50 with today’s offense.

- Contrary to popular belief, the 50’s was actually a defensive era, as seen by the 2.4 goals/game from ’52-’53. Gordie Howe still powered through this and was almost the 2nd player to score 50 goals in a season. His numbers project incredibly high in today’s era.

- Due to the high-octane offense of the 80’s, Gretzky’s 92 goals are shrunk down to 65 and his 215 points are shrunk down to 148. Interestingly enough, his 212 point year projects higher, as offense wasn’t as high that year.

- Gretzky’s 205 point year was arguably his best, as he did it in just 74 games.

- Interestingly enough, the best points-per-game year belongs to Lemieux, not Gretzky. Lemieux’s 160 points in 60 games in ’92-’93 translates to 165 points in 82 games with today’s offense.

- Joe Thornton’s incredible 2005-06 season is still the best of the post-lockout era, even when adjusted for offense levels.

Stats retrieved from hockey-reference.com

Era%20Stats.png

Any thing you guys found interesting? Any significant seasons that I missed?

Joe Malone scores close to 100 goals today, but Gretzky and Lemieux of course score less today than they did originally?

I see.

mNZg3kN.gif

Pro-rated to 82 games. Joe Malone scored at 2.2 goals per game when he did it in 1917-18. 44 goals in 20 games.

Did you factor in composite sticks vs butter knives strapped to their feet for skates? Or whiskey and cigarettes at intermission vs performance enhancing drugs?

Just kidding, interesting analysis.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, but honestly imo, eras can't and shouldn't be compared - it causes timeless memories to be tarnished.

Archived