The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Toews Kane vs Crosby Malkin

Just curious to see some opinions on this topic.

Whenever people consider the top 5 players in the game I find Crosby and Malkin enter into that converaavtion more often than Toews and Kane. Not to say that Toews and Kane don't join those debates but it seems more widely thought that Malkin Crosby > Toews Kane.

If we had those 2 players switch teams how many cups do you think Pitt would win and how many would Chicago win ?

Note:

This isn't a knock on any other these players. I would take them all in a heart beat.

Just curious to see some opinions on this topic.

Whenever people consider the top 5 players in the game I find Crosby and Malkin enter into that converaavtion more often than Toews and Kane. Not to say that Toews and Kane don't join those debates but it seems more widely thought that Malkin Crosby > Toews Kane.

If we had those 2 players switch teams how many cups do you think Pitt would win and how many would Chicago win ?

Note:

This isn't a knock on any other these players. I would take them all in a heart beat.

Toews > Malkin

Crosby > Kane

Playoffs:

Toews and Kane > Crosby and Malkin

Regular Season:

Crosby and Malkin > Toews and Kane

Crosby and Malkin just don't have the support that Kane and Toews do. Also, don't forget the Penguins made the finals 2 years in a row.

Just throwing this out there, but the perception that Malkin and Crosby don't do well in the playoffs is completely false.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-players-all-time-playoff-points-per-game-leaders.html

Crosby is 7th, Malkin 13th.

If Crosby and Malkin had the support that Kane and Toews had I think they would have 1 more Cup (so 4 Cups total). They would have won in 2014 instead of losing to the Kings.

Just throwing this out there, but the perception that Malkin and Crosby don't do well in the playoffs is completely false.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-players-all-time-playoff-points-per-game-leaders.html

Crosby is 7th, Malkin 13th.

If Crosby and Malkin had the support that Kane and Toews had I think they would have 1 more Cup (so 4 Cups total). They would have won in 2014 instead of losing to the Kings.

I agree. They had some bad goaltending preformances which hurts their playoff win ratio but that is hardly in their control.

All 4 are great players and I think we have cup wins for both even if we swapped their teams.

Also to the above poster I think the more fair comparison would be Crosby vs Toews and Malkin vs Kane.

Not sure why this is in the Proposals forum; it should have gone in the Polls sub-forum of Around the NHL (and had a poll added of course).

Each has their strengths and weaknesses and it's hard to fully judge them apart from the support and teams they've had.

Toews and Kane have been put in better positions to succeed throughout their careers than than Crosby and Malkin.

I agree, but it wouldn't say that will be true after this year. Crosby/Kessel, Malkin/Perron SHOULD be a force next year, that combined with Maatta, Pouliot, Letang and i think Pittsburgh is better set for the future than Chicago is as of now

I agree, but it wouldn't say that will be true after this year. Crosby/Kessel, Malkin/Perron SHOULD be a force next year, that combined with Maatta, Pouliot, Letang and i think Pittsburgh is better set for the future than Chicago is as of now

Perhaps, but I don't think highly of Rutherford. Hopefully he doesn't mess it up.

These four players are all undeniably skilled. I think the difference is Toews leadership ability, especially after the Olympics when Crosby asked Toews about the captaincy of our Canadian squad. I do not think Crosby is in the same class leadership wise as Toews, and it is evident in how the team plays.

Crosby and Malkin over Toews and Kane. They are just overall better players than Toews and Kane. The thing about the blackhawks is that it isn't just Toews and Kane. It's been Toews, Kane, Kieth, Seabrook, Hossa, and Sharp. Even Corey crawford at times, and back in the day, Byflugien, Versteeg, Ladd, etc. Pittsburgh just simply does not have the team Chicago has had, nobody has. And somehow, they have managed to keep injuries to a minimum as well, which with a team like that, if they can stay healthy, uh oh.

It always bothers me when people give players more credit/call them better than others, based on the fact that they win. Yes, they are the franchise players, but they don't win cups without that crazy good team walking out of the lockeroom behind them. I completely stand by this statement that if you swap Toews and Kane with Crosby and Malkin, and put them on the blackhawks instead, you would be getting 3 cups in 6 years.

However, I will admit that Johnny Toews is the best leader of the 4, and by far... That is a quality that should not be overlooked. Still, I say Crosby and Malkin are better than Toews and Kane.

I agree with so much of what has been written above but I can't agree with it all.

Pittsburg hasn't been a BAD team by any means. They have had Kunitz Neal letang hornqvist Perron Staal etc etc. AND they have played in a much easier eastern conference.

I'm not sure people give enough credit to Chicago for who they have gotten through to win. Their finals haven't been their toughest matches in all 3 cup wins IMO.

We will obviously never know but I think if we swapped these 4 player we likely see at least 1 more finals appearance for a Toews-Kane led Pittsburg squad.

No one gets it done more than Toews and Kane. They elevate their game when their team needs them the most. However, having Duncan Keith is the X-Factor. I don't see the Hawks winning all of these cups without Duncan Keith, as much as I despise him.

Fleury is a huge headcase.

i disagree hawks have that finland right winger who should break out next yr plus a timeless hossa i think pens miss playoffs again that team is a bunch of overrated greedy cancer like attitudes in the room plus rest of team is ahl quality

Archived