The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Walk In Clinics In B.C. Turning Away Patients Who Don't Have a Family Doctor

the last outlaw

I don't follow why this is an issue, if they don't want to spend hours waiting behind people who have an emergency, they should go to a clinic during hours.

Also, when we moved to Calgary, it took us 1.5 years to find a decent family doctor in the NW area. We patiently went to clinics when we needed to see a doctor, or emerg if it was more emergent until we got our family doc. I don't see the difficulty here. If one wants things the way they want it, they need patience. That's not a reflection so much on the system as it is people expecting the world to shift to them rather than being able to adapt.

Health Care System in Canada is broken. I compare it to that of a 3rd world country. This non-sense the College has brought is so stupid and doesn't make any sense other then to piss off and screw over 200,000 people in B.C. who don't have a Doctor. How are people suppose to find one when for example there's a Doctor shortage in Victoria and the very, very few who are taking on new patients are screening and cherry picking who they want and don't want as patients, which is so wrong. I've got no use for Doctors from past experiences. They don't care about patients or patient care, they only care about money along with their egos, poor bedside manners and thinking their god. I find especially the younger doctors are the worst they have this sense of entitlement and think the worlds owes them.

That's why you have your doctor request it rather than yourself. If you request it, it looks like you just want it for your own personal reasons.

That being said, there were provincial health requests I've gotten myself that cost me nothing, but they're very brief. Generally the clinics/offices charge.

What are you talking about? I didn't request anything.

I had appointment with a new doctor and right at end of it he mentioned that if he was to take me on as a patient that I would have to pay fee for Medical History/Files to be transferred to him from my last doctor and also for him to review my history. This obviously is policy and as I mentioned nothing more then a money grab by Doctors.

What are you talking about? I didn't request anything.

I had appointment with a new doctor and right at end of it he mentioned that if he was to take me on as a patient that I would have to pay fee for Medical History/Files to be transferred to him from my last doctor and also for him to review my history. This obviously is policy and as I mentioned nothing more then a money grab by Doctors.

I guess that's your doctor. Find another. Every clinic, office, or hospital I talked to in transfering my medical records over 3 provinces to Calgary charged nothing if it was going to my doctor rather than just to myself.

Health Care System in Canada is broken. I compare it to that of a 3rd world country. This non-sense the College has brought is so stupid and doesn't make any sense other then to piss off and screw over 200,000 people in B.C. who don't have a Doctor. How are people suppose to find one when for example there's a Doctor shortage in Victoria and the very, very few who are taking on new patients are screening and cherry picking who they want and don't want as patients, which is so wrong. I've got no use for Doctors from past experiences. They don't care about patients or patient care, they only care about money along with their egos, poor bedside manners and thinking their god. I find especially the younger doctors are the worst they have this sense of entitlement and think the worlds owes them.

HLDGPHk.jpg

My guess is you've never experienced any other healthcare system besides Canada's, never mind an actual 3rd world healthcare system.

2/10 on the edginess.

I'm going to disagree with your statement but at the same time I hear your complaints. What I'd suggest is finding a physician that you feel you can develop a strong relationship with. There are certainly ego-maniac physicians out there. There are certainly book smart physicians that have poor bedside manner. But there are certainly well-rounded physicians who are extremely smart, personable, and amazing people. It's all about finding one that suits you. So, do your due diligence and contact your local Division of Family Practice and do your best to try and get attached to a family physician that you can get along with.

I hope you feel better after ranting - sometimes we just need to let it out.

Of course someone that works in the field would say that.

Initial reaction based on your posts - didn't think I'd be able to have a rational argument with you. I edited my comment after thinking about your perspective more and I feel like I replied in a more appropriate manner.

My family doctor retired years ago so I go to the local Walk In Clinic probably every 3 or 4 years.

10 minutes, no appointment.

Where do you live. The clinic next to my condo in New West had a lineup around the block by the time it opened in the morning and stopped taking customers by 10 am saying it was full up for the day. At least they would give you a hour window to come back at to get in so you didnt have to wait. That was before I moved 3 years ago but Im assuming its still like that.

There are family doctors available just expect to only get to see him or her for a minute or two when you go. They move everybody through like an assembly line. They get paid per visit no difference if its long or short so they make sure its short.

Where do you live. The clinic next to my condo in New West had a lineup around the block by the time it opened in the morning and stopped taking customers by 10 am saying it was full up for the day. At least they would give you a hour window to come back at to get in so you didnt have to wait. That was before I moved 3 years ago but Im assuming its still like that.

There are family doctors available just expect to only get to see him or her for a minute or two when you go. They move everybody through like an assembly line. They get paid per visit no difference if its long or short so they make sure its short.

Yep, there are some terrrrrrrible doctors out there. Do your due diligence and find one through a family member or friend that you can develop a strong relationship with.

The fee-for-service payment model is a flawed one, but at the end of the day, no system is perfect. Best way to go is a blended model of funding but who knows when that would ever be implemented.

Yep, there are some terrrrrrrible doctors out there. Do your due diligence and find one through a family member or friend that you can develop a strong relationship with.

The fee-for-service payment model is a flawed one, but at the end of the day, no system is perfect. Best way to go is a blended model of funding but who knows when that would ever be implemented.

Yes. I'm pretty sure any family doctor that's taking patients should at least be conducting interviews with the family to make better decisions whether or not it's what both parties involved want to go with.

You can check out the ratings of most doctors on sites like RateMD or WebMD but its one of those things where only people with a gripe bother so a doctor with 99% happy patients still gets bad reviews. Still Google should come up with enough info on any doctor to help you decide if they are for you. The highest rated doctors usually are not taking new patients so be prepared to have to wade through a ways to get one.

The walk ins are a joke....I know someone who went in to the one on Westminster Hwy. on a Saturday...they were there are clinic opening. They were told the Dr. wasn't in yet and it would be an hour wait. So, she did. Others came in and were told the same. After an hour, she asked if it would be much longer (as no one was being attended to)....she was advised they couldn't get a hold of the Dr but it wouldn't be much longer.

After waiting over 2 hours, the receptionist went and turned over the OPEN sign on the door and announced that everyone had to go...they were closing and the Dr. couldn't be reached. She'd taken transit, was from out of town and this created a huge issue. How is this a way to run a clinic?? People are sick and it compromises their safety when they invest hours, are left unattended to and then told to go elsewhere.

Very poor...we reported them. Because it appears they didn't even have a back up Dr. on call, which is part of the requirement. Not fulfilling the obligations shortchanges patients. And this is not the first clinic/experience we've had.

But it's getting pretty sad when Dr.s advise you to go to a clinic, clinics advise you to go to ER. Passing of the buck...only everyone's grabbing one along the way.

Archived