The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canadian Election - Liberals Win Majority

DonLever

Perhaps they could achieve the same thing by travelling?

In some ways absolutely. I've always said on here people should travel when they finish school. Don't rush into being an adult, go explore etc. You learn so much about yourself when you're in a foreign place.

But at the same time I don't understand the rush to get people out of school.

I still don't know what you mean.

In some ways absolutely. I've always said on here people should travel when they finish school. Don't rush into being an adult, go explore etc. You learn so much about yourself when you're in a foreign place.

People are able to contribute to society about four years earlier.

Yes, traveling would be good too.

It's just, why spend so much time doing K-8 things?

Childhood is being shortened and attacked at every turn. I see no need to exacerbate that.

People are able to contribute to society about four years earlier.

Yes, traveling would be good too.

It's just, why spend so much time doing K-8 things?

Well by that argument why not just skip high school all together.

I don't understand what 'contributing to society' is implying?

I don't get it either.

It's a natural and IMO required part of natural, evolved human development.

Parents and people in general these days tend to be in far too much of a hurry to make sure their kids are 'ahead'. People stressing themselves (and their kids) over getting in to an advanced program here, a 'getting ahead' class there etc that nobody stops to think of what's actually best for the child.

A twisted developmental 'keeping up with the Jones'. Frankly I think it has at least as much capacity for harm as good.

And at what age is that for you? Is educating yourself and learning how to socialize and function as an adult in society through your teenage years a waste of time cause you could be working?

Who said that? People would still graduate school when they're 18(ish) and would have the ability to go on in their learning.

Working hard for the betterment of society.

Kids also need time to explore, imagine etc and that requires having the time and freedom to do so.

What good is having encyclopedic knowledge if you lack the imagination or real world experiences to do anything meaningful with it?

Regardless...this is way off topic.

It's a natural and IMO required part of natural, evolved human development.

Parents and people in general these days tend to be in far too much of a hurry to make sure their kids are 'ahead'. People stressing themselves (and their kids) over getting in to an advanced program here, a 'getting ahead' class there etc that nobody stops to think of what's actually best for the child.

A twisted developmental 'keeping up with the Jones'. Frankly I think it has at least as much capacity for harm as good.

I remember when I was in school (after having traveled for a few years) my prof came out with us for beers one time. He was about the same age as us, maybe a year or two older. We got drinking and he started going off on how smart/lucky we were to have traveled and taken some time to figure ourselves out before diving right into work. He went to school, immediately after that went to university, immediately after that to his masters, and immediately after that to a full time career. He also got married and had kids during that period.

Sounds great on paper, he's all set with a career and family and everything by the time he's in his early 20's. But the guy was basically in tears cause he never had a chance to explore the world, himself, or anything cause he was too busy grinding through life like a robot. Everyone told him to do that, get an education, get a job, get a wife, start saving for retirement, yadda yadda. Here the poor guy did it and now basically hates his life.

I did go straight to uni after high school mostly cause I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I don't know how anyone could really know what they really want to do with their entire life at the age of 17/18 (much less 4 years earlier!). But traveling and working abroad after uni for 3 years was hands down the best decision I've ever made. Yeah it was hard, I was broke, blah blah. But I would do it again in a heartbeat.

As a Harper supporter, I believed that he wanted to be transparent, but pesky political opponents were constantly prying, determined to spin things politically to sway voters. He definitely has little confidence in his own ability to convince voters beyond his base - most of the time, he has to rely on more charismatic figures like Kenney, Duffy, or Baird, while he mainly plays policy wonk.

http://reverbpress.com/politics/proof-republicans-are-stupid/

http://www.livescience.com/18132-intelligence-social-conservatism-racism.html

“Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes” is a study performed by researchers at Brock University, and it caused quite the commotion when its results were released. The researchers found that having lower general intelligence in childhood could predict conservative and racist ideas as an adult. That’s right: having a low IQ score makes you more likely to vote conservative… and be a racist.

Now this isn’t to say that all Republicans are stupid. On the contrary: I fully believe that rich Republicans are some of the smartest people in the world. They literally trick poor Republicans into thinking it’s the big bad government’s fault that they’re poor, and in doing so, they make these people vote against their own best interests.

Even though being conservative doesn’t make you stupid, there’s no doubt that being stupid makes you more likely to be conservative.

This might explain the content of a lot of the posts in here.

http://reverbpress.com/politics/proof-republicans-are-stupid/

http://www.livescience.com/18132-intelligence-social-conservatism-racism.html

Even though being conservative doesn’t make you stupid, there’s no doubt that being stupid makes you more likely to be conservative.

This might explain the content of a lot of the posts in here.

There's stupid people voting for everybody though.

Archived