The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Strata Help - Noisy Bldg. I am desperate

Tre Mac

noise transfer is killed off through two methods - mass and air space

by adding insulation into the joists he added sound absorbing mass, so that's good, but he didn't do anything to help the vibration stop transferring all the way through the mass - that is done by adding air space.

if you were to get "resilient channel" put on your ceiling and then a double layer of drywall after that you will have added an air space that will be 'uncoupled' from the rest of the mass (essentially, it has been isolated from all the vibration).

that would make your life billions of times better.

perhaps your strata could foot the bill.

20 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Well an update.  I had a hearing with the Strata and council.  I came well prepared and Strata did not.  They have no records of any reno's being done to the unit upstairs.  As a result our council dump the Strata company(Atira) and they talked to the people upstairs.  They put some rugs or carpet down and since then it has been infinitely better.  Which is good because I didn't want to go the legal route, even though I am pretty sure I would have a case.

But now I get a different kind of noise problem.....   And this one is not for the kids.  So how could I put this?  Um imagine a hot summer night and you have the window open in your room as you try to fall asleep.  All of the sudden you hear the rumblings of a plane flying by over your home.  Well that's what I hear, all day every day except it aint no plane.  It is coming from the bathroom of my female neighbour.   Don't think i'll be going to council with this problem.  I mean 24 hrs. a day, a friend of mine suggested that she might be in 'entertainment'.

Idk about you but that's music to my ears 

Just now, Aladeen said:

The vibrator she uses is hooked up to a JATO engine for extra thrust.

Maybe the OP was referring to a prop plane? I could see that a bit I guess...:huh: But when I first read it I was definitely envisioning passenger jets. 

I've seen some crazy stuff in my years but I've never seen (heard) any toys that make passenger jet noises :lol:

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:48 PM, J.R. said:

Maybe the OP was referring to a prop plane? I could see that a bit I guess...:huh: But when I first read it I was definitely envisioning passenger jets. 

I've seen some crazy stuff in my years but I've never seen (heard) any toys that make passenger jet noises :lol:

FWIW it's not your conventional 'equipment',  it requires electricity.  Perhaps a bumblebee would of been a tad better comparison.

Archived