The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Strata Help - Noisy Bldg. I am desperate

Tre Mac

Hey, I hate doing this but I really don't know where else to go with this issue. I will make this as brief as possible:

- Been living in my condo for over 10years. Its a old wood frame bldg. in White Rock built in the 70's. I live on the first floor. I moved in after my mom passed away, she was there for about a year.

- Previous tenants were old so most likely didn't move around much. They passed away or moved and the unit was vacant for about a year. In that time the pipes backed up in their kitchen sink and it flooded my ceiling.

- Strata sent the caretaker and his bother in law's resto. company to do my ceiling(The flooding was a strata issue/fault). Wasn't happy with the work and never signed anything regarding this matter.

- Council allowed our units to be rented and since someone has moved in the noise is unbearable. When they move it rattles my entire ceiling. Its not just the noise but the vibrations as well. There is no way anyone would buy a place if it was like this, and I have been living there for 10+ years.

- So I did a total rehaul of my place, new bathroom/kitchen/floors and I soundproofed my ceiling hoping this would fix my problem. To be technical the ceiling work is rated at STC-75 and it was like nothing happened.

- The contractor, who is a friend of my dad's and my boss, is generally concerned about the work he does and he can't understand why I still hear noise. But I can't get him to hear the noise unless the people are actually home. So he said to get the ball rolling by sending a letter to Strata which I just did.

So that's my issue in a nutshell. As you can tell, posting this in a hockey forum is a sign of a truly desperate individual but hey that's me :( My hail mary is hoping there's a contractor or better yet a strata lawyer out there that can provide me with some options. Everyone says just move but its not that simple. I don't think it'll ever sell and financially wouldn't make much sense. They also say well its a old bldg. so expect noise but it was never this bad. I spent a few $K's on this and I wasn't a happy man to begin with. This has sucked the life right out of me. I know have to have a industrial fan running nonstop to drown out the noise so I can sleep at night. Anyone ever had a similar issue?

You may want to solicit the help of CHOA. They should at least be able to offer you some advice and the people there know strata laws.

Being a former strata president, noise from above is the most common complaint of shared living. What some people consider excessive, others consider nothing. It's a very grey area. I am surprised that they just didn't tell you to talk to your neighbours and see if you can work out on your own. This is a common practice of lazy councils who do not want to get into the middle of neighbourly disputes. Even with noise dampening materials, sound still travels. We used to make sure owners could prove they put the correct material down when installing wood/laminate floors but even when they did, noise that wasn't there before became an issue.

Honestly I think there isn't a whole lot you can do but it's worth contacting CHOA and hearing what they have to say.

Anyone ever had a similar issue?

I did, but I moved, so that doesn't really help you.

I know you already soundproofed, but I am curious, what did you use? There's a great new product on the market called green glue. The way I understand it, it is supposed to convert noise energy to heat and soundproofs in a way that just insulating can't.

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

I've heard about it, but I have never seen it in action. Just wondering if you used this as part of your soundproofing?

If not, how about resilient channel or special noise reducing drywall?

There is reasonable noise expected but this obviously sounds like more than that. If they have hardwood floors above but didn't install any underlay for soundproofing then there could be an issue that way, but not so much if it's carpet. Obviously if the noise they're creating is from more than just normal usage of the suite, then they'd likely be able to be fined under the strata (depends on your strata's laws) but if they aren't then no idea.

I did, but I moved, so that doesn't really help you.

I know you already soundproofed, but I am curious, what did you use? There's a great new product on the market called green glue. The way I understand it, it is supposed to convert noise energy to heat and soundproofs in a way that just insulating can't.

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

I've heard about it, but I have never seen it in action. Just wondering if you used this as part of your soundproofing?

If not, how about resilient channel or special noise reducing drywall?

all insulators turn sound into heat.

I'm convinced that condos and the stratas that run them are the work of the devil.

I thought you didn't believe in the devil?!??!?! :emot-parrot:

Stratas are a pain in the butt.

Not a lot you can do other than talk to the people, complain to the Strata board (careful - you could be labelled a whiner), try and soundproof more, or move.

Why I would never own in a wood frame building. Its cheaper, sometimes a lot cheaper but its noisy. When I was in school and living off campus and for a few years after i lived in those old wood frame buildings. So much noise through the walls, from the ceiling, everywhere and at the oddest hours. Like everybody there works nights or something. When I bought my first condo, concrete. It was beautiful. Never heard anything.Blaring music in the hall but close my door and its silent. If it was affordable I would tear down our house and rebuild it out of concrete. Walls, floors, everything.

EDIT: This post doesnt really help you in your situation but my 2 cents is move out and buy in a concrete building. Even if you have to give up a lot of space its worth it.

The guy sent someone over to pump insulation in the joists(sp?) and that dampened it a bit. Thanks for the replies though but it looks like moving will be my only option :(

Unless they inspect that unit upstairs and find something. I was told new people are moving in on the 30th, hopefully they are old.

The guy sent someone over to pump insulation in the joists(sp?) and that dampened it a bit. Thanks for the replies though but it looks like moving will be my only option :(

Unless they inspect that unit upstairs and find something. I was told new people are moving in on the 30th, hopefully they are old.

Old people aren't any quieter. Better hope they don't have a walker. Step. Clunk. Step. Clunk. Step. Clunk.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they playing loud music/having parties or is this just the general noise of them living there?

If it's the latter, you're probably out of luck, and you're only option may be moving. Vancouver is changing. Younger people are now forced into these older condo units and many bring children with them, which is going to result in more noise. There's a reason why lower floors and wooden buildings sell/rent for cheaper.

I'd move but you've still got a few options for soundproofing your ceiling

have a look through the soundproof ceilings section of this site

http://www.soundisolationcompany.com/solutions-products/soundproof-ceilings/

Thanks I sent them a email. However I am pretty tight for coin now that my reno's are nearly completed.

Are they playing loud music/having parties or is this just the general noise of them living there?

If it's the latter, you're probably out of luck, and you're only option may be moving. Vancouver is changing. Younger people are now forced into these older condo units and many bring children with them, which is going to result in more noise. There's a reason why lower floors and wooden buildings sell/rent for cheaper.

Nah it's just footsteps and cabinets shutting. I wish it was simple like loud parties because I play bass and guitar, let's see who'd win that battle B) .

I cannot fathom why there isn't any laws to protect people in my situation. It's not like I moved in to a building that allows hardwood and I just didn't do any research. I have been living in this building for over 10years now. The vote to allow 2nd/3rd floor owners to put flooring in passed by 1 vote a few years ago. But just because some moronic council approved that work why should that override my right to live in peace? Hardwood floors are not a necessity. There is also a bylaw that states you cannot interfere with the enjoyment of other owners. On top of this mess, our strata rep. no longer works so no I have to deal with some newbie that has zero grasp on how to do his job.

Been looking at legal options but that is looking very grim. I have yet to come across a case in BC where a tribunal or court favoured for the plantiff in this situation. I honestly would feel guilty selling this unit and passing my nightmare onto someone else.

• 5 months later...

Well an update.  I had a hearing with the Strata and council.  I came well prepared and Strata did not.  They have no records of any reno's being done to the unit upstairs.  As a result our council dump the Strata company(Atira) and they talked to the people upstairs.  They put some rugs or carpet down and since then it has been infinitely better.  Which is good because I didn't want to go the legal route, even though I am pretty sure I would have a case.

But now I get a different kind of noise problem.....   And this one is not for the kids.  So how could I put this?  Um imagine a hot summer night and you have the window open in your room as you try to fall asleep.  All of the sudden you hear the rumblings of a plane flying by over your home.  Well that's what I hear, all day every day except it aint no plane.  It is coming from the bathroom of my female neighbour.   Don't think i'll be going to council with this problem.  I mean 24 hrs. a day, a friend of mine suggested that she might be in 'entertainment'.

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Well an update.  I had a hearing with the Strata and council.  I came well prepared and Strata did not.  They have no records of any reno's being done to the unit upstairs.  As a result our council dump the Strata company(Atira) and they talked to the people upstairs.  They put some rugs or carpet down and since then it has been infinitely better.  Which is good because I didn't want to go the legal route, even though I am pretty sure I would have a case.

But now I get a different kind of noise problem.....   And this one is not for the kids.  So how could I put this?  Um imagine a hot summer night and you have the window open in your room as you try to fall asleep.  All of the sudden you hear the rumblings of a plane flying by over your home.  Well that's what I hear, all day every day except it aint no plane.  It is coming from the bathroom of my female neighbour.   Don't think i'll be going to council with this problem.  I mean 24 hrs. a day, a friend of mine suggested that she might be in 'entertainment'.

That  does not sound like a problem, it sounds like an opportunity to me

eZpr_f-maxage-0.gif

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Easy solution: demand freebies for compensation!

Archived