The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers Gamecenter. All home games blacked out ? or what...

MaxVerstappen33

yea but people who drop tv increase their consumption of internet with same companies. Its just not as expensive yet. 

I suspect there is still a huge separation in advertising costs between the two media though. Over time, with recording and playback technologies, this will gradually go away as well (who watches the commercials if they've recorded a game to watch later??)

yea but people who drop tv increase their consumption of internet with same companies. Its just not as expensive yet. 

Yes but currently they make way more money on advertising than charging people an extra few cents for a game stream. One of the biggest biggest ways they gauruntee that revenue is by having exclusive broadcast rights. 

Not that I agree with it. But it's just someone's revenue . They don't wan to give it up. 

explain how rogers gsmecenter effects rogers customers who still watch the same commercials as thoses using sportsnet on tv. 

Separate businesses with the same parent company. Like it or not it's Sportsnet that owns the regional rights.

Though it's perfect for watching other teams which aren't broadcast in your area of if you are a fan of the team but don;t live there.

Alright im gonna go for this. I already have a program called Private Tunnel that I use to get in places that I am banned. But with that system, you just buy a block of data and use as you go.

Do i cancel my gamcenter account and make a new account when I am on the new vpn ?

Thanks all.

Yes I have the same experience. Last year, all the Canucks games were on (at least the ones I checked). If anything a few games had the away broadcast only, but all were on.

This year, every game I've tried is blacked out. I think Sportsnet bought more aggressive rights this year.

Sportsnet has an app too, but they don't have Sportsnet Vancouver, which has most of the Canucks games. So it's not available for regular streaming.  

In short, unless this changes it's not really worth it to get Gamecenter for local Canucks fans. Abroad, it works fine.

I actually got screwed twice.Last year I bought my new Sony TV in part because it was a smart TV and had the NHL app right on it. So I didnt have to buy a Roku box. This year, the Sony TV app is no longer supported. First game of the year, I ran across town to get a Roku box and got it all set up just in time. Then of course, it was blacked out

As others have mentioned, a VPN is your answer.

Added tip, if you use a VPN when buying your subscription to Gamecenter, you can get it cheaper than the Canadian price!  Just pick a random, non-North American country when going to Gamecenterr.com.  They inflate the price here!

I can watch Canucks home games (Telus TV) but Winnipeg, Ottawa and Flames home games has been blacked out a few times, ugh.

I tried using Gamecenter, was able to watch NHL games on it in the USA but in Canada it requires a Rogers account which I don't have and don't plan on creating.

Archived