The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers Gamecenter. All home games blacked out ? or what...

MaxVerstappen33

Just use a VPN.

Makes it appear that you have a different IP address. 

thats a chore but i guess it has to be done. I can live with a few blackouts but not this stupidity.

They should advertise it as something for out of town fans but they dont. They make it seem like you can use it as an alternative to a tv package

thats a chore but i guess it has to be done. I can live with a few blackouts but not this stupidity.

They should advertise it as something for out of town fans but they dont. They make it seem like you can use it as an alternative to a tv package

I ensure those commercials are always on mute.

what is the point of RGCL then ? who would get this ?

no hardcore fan would get it and no casual is going to plan his game nights around out of town games. what a joke

Though it's perfect for watching other teams which aren't broadcast in your area of if you are a fan of the team but don;t live there.

Unblock us

It costs 5 dollars a month to use an American dns.

You can then watch all games with no blackouts, American Netflix, and anything else that has regional blackouts.

Easy to setup, free to try for a week, I've used it for years.

Hey there! I purchased Gamecenter as well and I live in the U.S. Every single home Sabres, Rangers, and Islanders games are blocked for me, as well as anytime a nationally televised game is as well. The reason is because the NHL has this policy or whatever, that they believe if the game is nationally broadcasted, you should be and expected to watch it through that. The reason is most probably because the NHL wants to give people an incentive to watch the games through that source so they can generate more views since they're probably bound to a contract agreement.  I use this app called "Hola" and it changes my location and I'd change it to say Spain or something like that and I get to watch every single game without blackouts!

I hope this helps!

Edit: Also it's free!

i thought with the new deal Rogers quit blacking out games...

All summer, if you looked at their FAQ, they had a region by region breakdown of blackouts. BC didn't have any. But when pre-sale went on in September, that whole section was removed and replaced with a generic blackout definition. That was enough to scare me away.

I get the feeling neither Rogers nor the NHL really care about VPNs because they make money either way, they're just contractually obliged to do the blackouts.

There's also a grey market European version of gamecenter. My cousin's friend's brother's barber said it's pretty good.

I get Rogers Game Centre Live because I have a Rogers share everything plan and at first I was super annoyed that local games were blocked.

Like another user noted, it's very easy to bypass the regional blackouts by using a VPN.  It's super quick and easy to install and use.

There are lots of free VPNs that have anonymous browsing so you don't need to worry at all.  You could also pay around $5 a month for higher-end VPNs but just for streaming hockey games I wouldn't bother.

I'm currently trying out CyberGhost and it has been super easy to use and install.  

For more information regarding VPNs:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390381,00.asp

Hey there! I purchased Gamecenter as well and I live in the U.S. Every single home Sabres, Rangers, and Islanders games are blocked for me, as well as anytime a nationally televised game is as well. The reason is because the NHL has this policy or whatever, that they believe if the game is nationally broadcasted, you should be and expected to watch it through that. The reason is most probably because the NHL wants to give people an incentive to watch the games through that source so they can generate more views since they're probably bound to a contract agreement.  I use this app called "Hola" and it changes my location and I'd change it to say Spain or something like that and I get to watch every single game without blackouts!

I hope this helps!

Edit: Also it's free!

Actually it's because the networks pay for the broadcast rights for their viewing area. Thus no other source can broadcast for that area legally.

explain how rogers gsmecenter effects rogers customers who still watch the same commercials as thoses using sportsnet on tv. 

You can't get the broadcast of local games shown in the area because the TV companies have the rights to those broadcasts in that area.

Basically they restrict you from watching it in your local area so TV companies can force you to pay for TV.

You can't get the broadcast of local games shown in the area because the TV companies have the rights to those broadcasts in that area.

Basically they restrict you from watching it in your local area so TV companies can force you to pay for TV.

what tv company is losing out when i use rogers game center instead of rogers sportsnet? 

Yes I have the same experience. Last year, all the Canucks games were on (at least the ones I checked). If anything a few games had the away broadcast only, but all were on.

This year, every game I've tried is blacked out. I think Sportsnet bought more aggressive rights this year.

Sportsnet has an app too, but they don't have Sportsnet Vancouver, which has most of the Canucks games. So it's not available for regular streaming.  

In short, unless this changes it's not really worth it to get Gamecenter for local Canucks fans. Abroad, it works fine.

what is the point of RGCL then ? who would get this ?

no hardcore fan would get it and no casual is going to plan his game nights around out of town games. what a joke

I had it for a year. Got to watch all 82 Detroit games! There really is no need for it you get almost all games on reg cable plus and there are a few on SP360 which i refuse to pay for so i just stream them. Onhockey.tv is my goto for streaming.

Archived