The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL to have cocaine testing by end of season

Mackcanuck

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is the absolute biggest bunch of bunk I've ever heard.  False.  Wrong.  Nope.

There are no superhumans resistant to the possible risk of becoming addicted or reaction to a drug.  It's like saying athletes can't have aneurysms.

They're not super humans. Look it up. Athletes have stronger immune systems which prevent against the side effects of such drugs. Hell, HEALTHY PEOPLE who practice exercise, take their vitamins and other daily supplements are MUCH less likely to have a side effect like those happen to them than your average Joe Blow who doesn't take care of his body the right way.

4 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

Nope, but it's certainly preventable using it in MODERATE CIRCUMSTANCES. Say if there's a group of 3-4 teammates who like to use it after a long road trip on their days off... they pool a bit of coke together, go to town on it, and it's consumed, and they go back to work. That is absolutely not the same as someone repeatedly purchasing it every few days, locking themselves inside of their house, and just becoming a junkie. You have to remember that hockey players are always on the move. You act like finding a coke dealer is gonna be so easy for a high profile athlete in EVERY SINGLE city they go to. Again, all banning it is going to do is turn it into a PC witch hunt against any player that is found doing it. It's not at all necessary. 

It is irresponsible to use it, period.  It has an unnatural reaction in the body, raises blood pressure, messes with the brain's chemistry, even if temporarily and short term and is illegal. 

It's not about being "PC" it's about being.....responsible.  Guess what....guys who purchase it every few days, locking themselves inside of their house once used under moderate circumstances too.  Junkies don't "happen" in a day. 

Then the frequency of use often increases (especially if unchecked and undetected in work places, etc.).  The easier it becomes to use and the more accessible it is, the more it'll BE used for many.  Because cocaine is one of those things that has a pull to do more...it IS very shortlived and so that's the inclination.  And that's a dangerous thing.

3 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

They're not super humans. Look it up. Athletes have stronger immune systems which prevent against the side effects of such drugs. Hell, HEALTHY PEOPLE who practice exercise, take their vitamins and other daily supplements are MUCH less likely to have a side effect like those happen to them than your average Joe Blow who doesn't take care of his body the right way.

Immune systems don't come into play with drug reactions.

It's like saying athletes can't have an allergic reaction to something.  Yes, they can.

There's also a mental health factor. These substances only spur on the effects of depression, bi-polar disorder, and other mental health irregularities, which can lead to very tragic conclusions, as we all know. While it may not be the primary factor in such events, it certainly has its presence. How many NHL players in the last five years are now underground due to their mental health problems? In addition to that, how many of their stories involved substance use/abuse? These preventative measures aren't just about the use, it's about the principle: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Immune systems don't come into play with drug reactions.

It's like saying athletes can't have an allergic reaction to something.  Yes, they can.

They certainly do when it comes to Gastro and other side effects. The brain is affected. That is not a side effect. That's what the drug does... The blood pressure is raised, the BPM is raised... that's what the drug does... Those aren't side effects. Those are what cause the 'high' feeling in the first place. When you get into the TRUE potential side effects, being healthy can absolutely counteract a lot of them.

2 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

They certainly do when it comes to Gastro and other side effects. The brain is affected. That is not a side effect. That's what the drug does... The blood pressure is raised, the BPM is raised... that's what the drug does... Those aren't side effects. Those are what cause the 'high' feeling in the first place. When you get into the TRUE potential side effects, being healthy can absolutely counteract a lot of them.

So what are the "true" side affects?

And may I ask...where are you getting your information from?  Just curious.

1 minute ago, Gaz in the City said:

There's also a mental health factor. These substances only spur on the effects of depression, bi-polar disorder, and other mental health irregularities, which can lead to very tragic conclusions, as we all know. While it may not be the primary factor in such events, it certainly has its presence. How many NHL players in the last five years are now underground due to their mental health problems? In addition to that, how many of their stories involved substance use/abuse? These preventative measures aren't just about the use, it's about the principle: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Any case of suicide due to depression has been from concussion like symptoms causing their depression, not out right cocaine... Just because cocaine has a CHANCE of making you depressed in certain people, doesn't mean it's the lead cause of suicides... The person is 99% of the time messed up beforehand anyways.

1 minute ago, slickjim23 said:

Any case of suicide due to depression has been from concussion like symptoms causing their depression, not out right cocaine... Just because cocaine has a CHANCE of making you depressed in certain people, doesn't mean it's the lead cause of suicides... The person is 99% of the time messed up beforehand anyways.

Ahem...

4 minutes ago, Gaz in the City said:

LOL to the people putting Weed and Coke in the same category saying it's no big deal.

Pretty sure Weed doesn't cause Depression, High Blood pressure which can easily lead to heart attacks/strokes/death. You also can't OD and you don't see people destroying their lives and spending every last dollar to get a fix.

People that say it's no big deal think as if every potential coke user will be disciplined, stop before going over the edge and use minimal amounts. 

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

So what are the "true" side affects?

And may I ask...where are you getting your information from?  Just curious.

Every long term side effect resulting from the use of cocaine that isn't to do with the brain or heart can be prevented with a strong, healthy life style. It's proven. I know this stuff from experience. It's why some people can go full on on every single drug and not have anything too bad long term happen to them. A healthy lifestyle absolutely can counteract a lot of these 'side effects'.

When it comes to the heart, it's not like the athlete is going to be snorting coke and then taking NHL shifts which could understandably cause a heart attack from the over exertion of the heart... When they're taking coke, it's usually in a controlled environment with other teammates who just want to have a good time...

I feel like I'm reading youtube now....

I can't believe we're having this argument with someone in the first place. I can't even believe he thinks cocaine should be used by people.

Only on the internet, huh....

He joined CDC Thursday. Troll perhaps?

Just now, The Lock said:

I feel like I'm reading youtube now....

I can't believe we're having this argument with someone in the first place. I can't even believe he thinks cocaine should be used by people.

Only on the internet, huh....

I'm not encouraging the use of cocaine. I'm defending the moderate use of it by an adult who can make his own choices and not be burned at the stake by the media and others for it.

Just now, slickjim23 said:

I'm not encouraging the use of cocaine. I'm defending the moderate use of it by an adult who can make his own choices and not be burned at the stake by the media and others for it.

That's encouraging the use of it dude....

You didn't answer "what" they were. 

So what you're saying is some of your buddies have been lucky enough to go full on and not have anything bad happen.  (Yet?)  Ha, luck of the draw.  You may lose one one day and then it changes that.  Because one out of a hundred is still a life gone.

I've seen a few go.  And worked in a treatment center for 10 years where most thought they could "use responsibly" and recreationally.  Until it all went south.  It's not a matter of people being smarter, better or healthier.  It's that dependency can strike ANYONE and good people fall under the spell of addiction when they least expect it.  Not just losers.  And are often enabled by those around them.

You have a lot to learn.  I hope you don't do it the way some that I've seen do... in not making it out the other side.  Every single one of them thought they had it beat/under control.  Until they realized they didn't.  Some died before they got to that realization.

Just now, The Lock said:

That's encouraging the use of it dude....

Not really. Encouraging the use of it would be telling you to go do it because it's good for you. It's not good for you, just like smoking isn't good for you, but if it's enjoyable to you, and not too dangerous in moderate use, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a recreational drug. There's some side effects that could POTENTIALLY happen to you, just like there are side effects to smoking where you could end up with a big hole in your throat.. If there are no chemicals and additives in it, and it's clean, there's nothing too terrible about it if used responsibly.

Just now, slickjim23 said:

Not really. Encouraging the use of it would be telling you to go do it because it's good for you. It's not good for you, just like smoking isn't good for you, but if it's enjoyable to you, and not too dangerous in moderate use, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a recreational drug. There's some side effects that could POTENTIALLY happen to you, just like there are side effects to smoking where you could end up with a big hole in your throat.. If there are no chemicals and additives in it, and it's clean, there's nothing too terrible about it if used responsibly.

You're encouraging others if it's enjoyable to them then. Same thing, different wording.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You didn't answer "what" they were. 

So what you're saying is some of your buddies have been lucky enough to go full on and not have anything bad happen.  Ha, luck of the draw.  You may lose one one day and then it changes that.  Because one out of a hundred is still a life gone.

I've seen a few go.  And worked in a treatment center for 10 years where most thought they could "use responsibly" and recreationally.  Until it all went south.  It's not a matter of people being smarter, better or healthier.  It's that dependency can strike ANYONE and good people fall under the spell of addiction.  Not just losers.

You have a lot to learn.  I hope you don't do it the way some that I've seen do... in not making it out the other side.  Every single one of them thought they had it beat/under control.  Until they realized they didn't.  Some died before they got to that realization.

Well then they got themselves into some bad batches of cocaine. It exists. A lot of the times it's laced with other things that are very harmful to you... fact is, clean cocaine is not that bad if you have it in moderation. If the dealer is trusted, getting it clean from the source, it's not some big terrible thing that should be outright stopped out of the blue when there haven't been any cases of a player dying or ODing etc on it... Just let it be... Jeeze. Let people make their own choices. 

3 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

Not "too" dangerous.  So how/when do you tell?   (Hint: after you're too far in and then turning back becomes tougher than you suspected).

We're slowly learning about smoking...and it's being phased out in a great number of places.  We learn by our mistakes...hopefully.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not "too" dangerous.  So how/when do you tell?   (Hint: after you're too far on and then turning back becomes tougher than you suspected).

We're slowly learning about smoking...and it's being phased out in a great number of places.  We learn by our mistakes...hopefully.

And the world should learn about dirty cocaine vs clean cocaine. There's a big difference. Clean, pure cocaine is the new 'vape' if you want to compare it to smoking.. Dirty cocaine has additives in it that heighten the need of consumption of it, which understandably causes addicts in people.

Archived