The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Utica, home of the Comets

UticaFanPart2

On 11/26/2015, 5:26:57, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Wow the city knows what the fans want  :D   Watching the games online the towns energy spills into our living rooms on the other side of the continent !   I doubt there are greater fans in all of hockey !

GO UTICA !!!!!!:towel:

On behalf of EVERY Utica Comet's fan, THANK YOU! We are doing our best to prove to the AHL, and the Canucks, that we will do everything we can to support this league, and the team.

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So, out of curiosity, do you guys have fun little discussions in town about whether the Canuck, Rangers, Sabres, or some other team's better? :)

Here in Central New York, the majority of hockey fans are Devil's Rangers and Sabres, with some bruins and Islanders thrown in for good measure. Having the Canucks affiliate in Utica makes everybody get along...lol. 

We all pull for our own NHL teams, but everyone is a Comets fan. As for me, my 2 teams are the Devil's and any team playing the Rangers. I follow the Canucks now, for obvious reasons.

3 minutes ago, UticaFanPart2 said:

Here in Central New York, the majority of hockey fans are Devil's Rangers and Sabres, with some bruins and Islanders thrown in for good measure. Having the Canucks affiliate in Utica makes everybody get along...lol. 

We all pull for our own NHL teams, but everyone is a Comets fan. As for me, my 2 teams are the Devil's and any team playing the Rangers. I follow the Canucks now, for obvious reasons.

I know the feeling in a way. I'm from a town called Prince George. It's a 9 hour drive north of Vancouver, but it's also about the same distance from Edmonton or Calgary. Add to that people from back east who like the Maple Laffs and the Canadiens and you have a lot of random fun going on.

I think the majority of hockey fans here are still Canucks though. ;)

21 hours ago, UticaFanPart2 said:

There is "something in the works". A recent turn of events has unfolded here in Utica. A developer purchased some land behind the Aud to build some new apartment complexes. However, that "plan" was scrapped, and he was "outbid" by another "investment", looking to add a $45 million dollar sports complex in that area. Now, I'm not sure how much a 6k seat arena (perfect size for Utica) would cost, but $45 million sure would be a good down payment.....hmmmm.

Having the smallest barn in the league has it's benefits and drawbacks. We have a season ticket base of 3300. That leaves 565 tickets available for each game. In a small market like Utica, that is good. The Comets (Canucks) operate with very little overhead. The travel, now being in the East, is VERY minimal. Every seat at the Aud is sold, for every game. The marketing for this team has done very well, as shown by the attendance. Because of the demand for AHL hockey, a bigger arena is not a question of if, but when. The updates to the Aud will ensure the Aud remains up-to-date for the near future.

Scottsdale, ARZ built a two sheet ice arena for $16 million. No breakdown on cost or venue. Seating probably not near 6,000. The cost of the land comes into play as well.

Utica would be foolish to build such a facility without a long term commitment for a AHL tenant. Canucks have been very happy to date but must be looking at the west division now operating in Cali as a option. I prefer the east. A nice aspect is that Canuck ownership, the Acquilini family, are mega property developers. Maybe there is a fit. 

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Scottsdale, ARZ built a two sheet ice arena for $16 million. No breakdown on cost or venue. Seating probably not near 6,000. The cost of the land comes into play as well.

Utica would be foolish to build such a facility without a long term commitment for a AHL tenant. Canucks have been very happy to date but must be looking at the west division now operating in Cali as a option. I prefer the east. A nice aspect is that Canuck ownership, the Acquilini family, are mega property developers. Maybe there is a fit. 

I believe a new arena may be the key to a long term commitment. The Utica fan base has spoken. We have stepped up and proved that the AHL can not only be supported here, but it thrives here as well. A season ticket base of 3300 speaks volumes.

I, too, believe the Canucks will want to move West in the near future. (Why? I believe it's a foolish and expensive move, but, it's not my decision). Your AHL affiliate has been very well supported here. However, other teams around the league, with leases expiring soon, have also noticed, and commented on the success of Utica in the AHL.

Utica, because of it's population, will never be able to lead the AHL in attendance, but Utica, has yet (in 2 1/2 years) to be at the bottom of the attendance figure either.

If they decide, which I am hopeful they do, to build a 6k seat arena, landing another AHL team (if Vancouver decides to leave) will not be an issue. One thing about Utica that can't be beat is our location. You can't say that about Abbottsford, or any other California team (unless you enjoy watching the same 5 teams play each other 12 times).

15 hours ago, UticaFanPart2 said:

I believe a new arena may be the key to a long term commitment. The Utica fan base has spoken. We have stepped up and proved that the AHL can not only be supported here, but it thrives here as well. A season ticket base of 3300 speaks volumes.

I, too, believe the Canucks will want to move West in the near future. (Why? I believe it's a foolish and expensive move, but, it's not my decision). Your AHL affiliate has been very well supported here. However, other teams around the league, with leases expiring soon, have also noticed, and commented on the success of Utica in the AHL.

Utica, because of it's population, will never be able to lead the AHL in attendance, but Utica, has yet (in 2 1/2 years) to be at the bottom of the attendance figure either.

If they decide, which I am hopeful they do, to build a 6k seat arena, landing another AHL team (if Vancouver decides to leave) will not be an issue. One thing about Utica that can't be beat is our location. You can't say that about Abbottsford, or any other California team (unless you enjoy watching the same 5 teams play each other 12 times).

I think you misunderstood my Cali comment. IMO the Canucks have to look but I do not want that move. I much prefer Utica because of the very central location which means far less travel. Not only that but it gives Vancouver a much needed eye on eastern USA and eastern Canada.

I was in Prospera Place in Kelowna last year. It sits 8000 for hockey but could not find a cost. I go back to my idea that the Acquilini's should be enticed into a Utica arena investment. Some AHL franchises make decent money for their owners. I want the Canuck org to invest more into their development system, even to the extent of buying a ECHL team. Benning has been increasing the depth of talent and having the ability of contracting players outside of the NHL 50 player contract limit could pay off.  

Comet Tales: 50/50 Pots a Story of Their Own

comettales

The 50/50 pots at Comets games have grown to remarkable totals at nearly every game. Getting in on the 50/50 pots at Comets home games has become a ritual for many.The excitement for the opportunity to win big, and to know the funds are going to make a difference for others throughout the Mohawk Valley, is something that drives fans to buy 50/50 tickets.

To connect with the 50/50 patrol in The AUD, the green t-shirts are a dead giveaway at Comets games.

To understand just how the 50/50 program ticks, Janice Martino is the go-to authority. Janice, along with her husband Tony, remain the pulse of the program’s smooth game-day operation. Through two seasons, over $424,000 in ticket sales occurred.

For Janice and her husband Tony, their commitment to the 50/50 program began two seasons ago. The Jr. Comets, affiliated with the Utica Comets, are members of the Mohawk Valley Youth Hockey Association. The Martino’s goal was simple – to get parents involved.

“100% (50/50 monies collected) goes to The Save Of The Day Foundation,” Janice explains.

From the collections in The AUD, Martino tells of the Foundations redistributing funds to the Jr. Comets and other worthy causes in the Mohawk Valley.

“It’s a privilege to be a part of what’s going on,” she said.

Martino tells of swelling pride amongst the volunteers, all with family ties to the Jr. Comets, with the resurgence of The AUD itself. The generosity of Comets’ fans; from the grass roots, and the commitment from Comets’ President Robert Esche, make the 50/50 program important to be involved with.

The Martinos and other volunteers “get it”, with the importance of 50/50 dollars. Contributions trickle down to the kids and the needy. Plus, the average fan has an opportunity to exit a Comets game a few thousand dollars richer. This has become an added bonus that has become as popular as a goal scored by the home team.

During the 2014-15 season, on April 10 the 50/50 total came in at $19,461. This was the single highest one night take for the program of the season. The totals are made available on the Comets’ website. Under the community tab, there are eight choices. The seventh down is the 50/50 tab. In order, dates and amounts are listed. Amazingly, only three pots went unclaimed last season.

Coordination is vital to the accurate accounting and operation when it comes to the success of the 50/50 program. At the beginning of each Comets’ game, public address announcer Tom Coyne can be heard reminding attendees of the program, and what the opening dollar amount is.

The camera shot of Tony Martino, at the kiosk in the lobby, is also a mainstay on the video boards. Throughout the game, return visits to Tony and updated totals are given of the 50/50 pot. Promotion is ongoing throughout the night. A retired Utica police officer, Tony Martino is currently the director of the computer forensics lab at Utica College.

Tony is the person who those with winning tickets must see to have their ticket verified. According to Janice Martino, most of the time those presenting with winning tickets are a “great story”.

“One woman that won just sent her daughter off to college,” she said.

The way collecting one’s winnings is simple. However, no 50/50 winner exits The AUD on game night with a sack of cash. Tony is responsible for authenticating the winning ticket, followed up with having the happy fans filling out the proper tax forms. A check is usually received by the winners within a couple of weeks.

“We have so much fun. It’s (50/50 program) is an anomaly for an arena our size; and setting benchmarks in the AHL,” Janice states.

Martino emphasizes that the Jr. Comets are the only inner city youth hockey program in the area. Traveling and competing in tournaments are something they would never have been able to do, without the assistance of the 50/50 program.

The inquires this past season came from around the AHL, Adirondack being one, on just how they did what they did and why the 50/50 pots were so huge. For starters, walking the stairs of The AUD for three periods, making their presence known non-stop, is Janice’s response.

“I don’t go to a gym, I tell people I’m walking The AUD’s steps,” laughed Martino. “It’s just amazing to watch what this (50/50 program) has turned into.”

Paper tickets have to be printed, according to New York State, where the 50/50 program is concerned. Martino stresses all steps are taken so there aren’t hints of a “rigged” drawing.  The popularity of the Comets’ 50/50 pots reaches beyond ticket holders. Members of opposing teams – players and trainers, purchase tickets. NHL scouts working the Comets games also search out the green shirts equally, and faithfully.

Martino claims to feel ownership, as a volunteer, to lend her time and efforts to a program that helps so many.

“You want to stay and do what you can. In The AUD, walking the stairs, you can feel the energy of the place. It’s addicting,” added Martino.

The Comets’ 50/50 drawings are an added bonus to attending great hockey action. Volunteers like Janice and Tony Martino make it possible. Boisterous, committed, and anxious in making a difference, she and all who volunteer, demonstrate all the characteristics that are required for success.

Comet Tales: The Sensational National Anthem Singers

(Lindsay A. Mogle/Utica Comets)

In their first two seasons of existence, the Utica Comets and their fans have built a list of gameday traditions. From Clinton Comets Appreciation Night, and large 50/50 totals, to the whiteouts in the playoffs, fans can expect certain events to happen at Comets games. While the singing of the National Anthem prior to games is not something exclusive to Comets games, the selection of who the performer is for any given game, and the reasoning behind it, might be.

Superstitions run high in sports. Fans, players, and with organizations as a whole. Some may not want to openly admit to adhering to certain “must behaviors and routines”, but they remain important to believers. When certain results occur, and particular individuals are regularly involved with positive outcomes, well then, keep the behavior going – and please, do not interrupt or change what has worked. The fun of having “lucky charms” isn’t foreign to Comets’ games at home.

In the playoffs the Comets leaned on two National Anthem singers who delighted the crowd throughout the regular season. When Matt Voorhees, and Darien Bateson sang the National Anthem prior to Comets games, the Comets seemed to win at a very high rate. That high rate of success did not go unnoticed by the Comets front office.

“Having Matt Voorhees and Darian Bateson sing the National Anthem for Comets playoffs games was a no-brainer,” said Gina Nassivera, the Comets Director of Game Presentation. “The energy they brought to the arena every night was extraordinary, they were our good luck charms.”

14 miles east of Utica, in Ilion, Herkimer County’s most populated village, is where one of the Comets’ “lucky charms” lives – meet Matt Voorhees. While singing the National Anthem 14 times last season (including regular season and playoff games), When Voorhees, 33, sang the national anthem the Comets collected a 12-2 record. While standing on the red carpet, with the spotlight focused on him, Voorhees remains the go-to voice to offer the Canadian Anthem when teams north of the border visit The AUD.
(Utica Comets photo by Lindsay A. Mogle)
“I’ve been singing the National Anthem at events for the past 15-16 years,” says Voorhees.

What most hockey fans in the Mohawk Valley don’t know about Voorhees singing the National Anthem is he has had plenty of professional sporting practice. Over the last dozen years Voorhees has stood before thousands in New Jersey and Brooklyn, singing the Anthem at NBA Nets’ games. Being a huge Nets fans, back in 2002, Voorhees entered a New Jersey’s Most Talented contest. Getting the opportunity to sing at the Izod Center in East Rutherford,NJ wasn’t an easy road traveled. Voorhees had sent in a CD of his singing to a New Jersey radio station who were sponsoring the contest. He was persistent in wanting to know whether or not he had won. Then, with little warning, Voorhees found himself on the road for a Nets game.

“Three days before the contest I get the call. I’ll have 30 seconds, during halftime of a Nets game, to sing. The winner would be based on the cheering of the crowd,” recalls Voorhees. “Joe Piscopo (Saturday Night alum and New Jersey native) was the host. He had asked for me, and when I saw him he (Piscopo) said he heard my CD and told me that I was very good.”

The game in which Voorhees had his “tryout” had the unfortunate luck of being right after the franchise stated it would be moving to Brooklyn. Although he came in fourth place, due to all the booing over the Nets making their future plans be known, Voorhees was asked to return, to sing the National Anthem.

The following season Voorhees had the spotlight on him while singing the Anthem during a pre-season Nets game. Taking his years of NBA experience, and transitioning it locally with the Comets came with less “red tape”.

“I’ve known Mark Caswell, Jr. (Comets’ Director of Communications) for a long time. He knew I could sing and suggested I send a tape to Gina Nassivera (Director of Game Presentation). After that, they call me whenever they need me.”

He’s not wearing skates, but make no mistake, Voorhees is well aware of the correlation between his singing and Comets’ winning. During this past Calder Cup playoffs, Voorhees tells of singing the closing game for the first three rounds. Bottom line, Voorhees is having fun. After officially starting Comets’ hockey, Voorhees, quietly and with little fanfare, makes his way through The AUD’s lower concourse, and stands at his post, as part of the evening’s staff.

“Just like so many others in the area, I can’t wait for the season to start. Everyone bought in last season on just how special having this team is for the community. I’m excited for it to start again,” Voorhees explained.

As for where Voorhees might like to sing the Anthem at next, between Nets and Comets dates, three words tell all of his goal – New York Yankees.

The National Anthem has been a tradition at American sporting events since the early 1900’s. The Anthem, which came as a result in the British attacking the City of Baltimore on September 13, 1814, was written by Francis Scot Key. By a congressional resolution in 1931, Key’s work became our National Anthem. During World War II, “The Star-Spangled Banner” was played before baseball games throughout the war. The pre-game singing of the National Anthem had become cemented as a baseball ritual, then spread to other sports.

Nearly 90 years after Congress officially recognized the Star-Spangled Banner, another Mohawk Valley resident began singing it to thousands, standing silently at attention, at Comets’ games. Meets New Hartford’s Darian Bateson.

There’s no mistaking who this Anthem singer is. Darian is eight-years-old.

A(Lindsay A. Mogle  /  Utica Comets) student at Bradley Elementary School, Bateson, a fourth grader, sang the Anthem for the first time at a CYO basketball game in New York Mills.

“She (Darian) sings it from the heart,” says Danielle Bateson of her daughter’s love of singing
Danielle recalls hearing her daughter sing the Anthem for the first time at home, and recalls being somewhat stunned when being asked by Darian if she could sing it at her brother’s game. The performance was video taped and posted on Facebook. With the encouragement of Lisa Meyers, teacher at Bradley and sister of Comets’ President Robert Esche, the Bateson’s contacted the team. Labeling her daughter’s singing as “amazing”, a nervous mom has seen Darian’s performances grow.

“Darian enjoys the Comets. She loves it. Everyone is so nice to her,”states Danielle. “She (Darian) hasn’t met any of the players yet, but she hopes to. My daughter loves to sing, and the song (the National Anthem) means something to her.”

Citing last season as a nice one, Danielle Bateson has hopes of Darian continuing to ride the wave of excitement at Comets’ play at The AUD, starting this October. Confidence remains Darian’s greatest trait. Even before the drop of the puck, before starting each Comets’ home game, the singing of the American and Canadian National Anthems by these two locally grown talents has become a budding tradition.

Utica Memorial Auditorium

(Comets Photo by Lindsay A. Mogle)The Utica Memorial Auditorium was built by the City of Utica in 1959 on the site of the old Erie Canal, on land donated by the State of New York. Dedicated to the memory of area veterans and the wars in which they served, it was, at the time, one of only three arenas worldwide that had a completely unobstructed view—no support pillars to see around. Madison Square Garden in New York City is actually modeled after the Auditorium.

The City operated the Auditorium from 1960 until 1996.  The Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, ZZ Top, and Kenny Rogers were just a few of the many performers that wowed crowds here in Central New York, as did perennial favorites Harlem Globetrotters, Ice Capades, and professional boxing and wrestling. Even Hollywood came calling when scenes from the movie SlapShot, starring Paul Newman, were filmed here.

Comets CrunchLate in 1996, the AUD, as it is known locally, was sold to the Upper Mohawk Valley Memorial Auditorium Authority, which continues the fine tradition of bringing affordable family entertainment to the people of Oneida County and surrounding areas.

The AUD has hosted several sold-out concerts in recent years, including Godsmack, Oysterhead, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold with Buckcherry, Furthur and Phish.  Annual favorites include Monster Trucks, the Ziyara Shrine & Jordan Circuses, Harlem Globetrotters, college and high school hockey, cheerleading and gymnastics competitions. The AUD showcases its diversity and capitalizes on its centralized location.

Whether it’s concerts, sports or family shows—whether it’s national, state, or local programming, the Utica Memorial Auditorium continues to be a premiere entertainment venue, year after year.

Authority:
The Upper Mohawk Valley Memorial Auditorium Authority was created by the New York State Legislature in 1996 to own and operate the Utica Memorial Auditorium. The Authority is comprised of seven local residents, three of whom are appointed by the Oneida County Executive and four by the county legislature. Members serve five-year terms without compensation. Authority members determine policy and oversee the operation of the facility to ensure a continuing dedication to the preservation and renovation of this architectural gem

Here's the Comet's Dance Team

Sitrin Comettes

Comettes

The Sitrin Comettes are a high energy dance team made up of 13 of the most enthusiastic, talented, and outgoing women in the Mohawk Valley. You can spot the Comettes energizing fans with coordinated dances and cheers at every Comets home game. The Sitrin Comettes are also highly involved in the community appearing at all types of events, to promote the excitement of Comets hockey and the team’s commitment to Utica.

For more information or to request the Sitrin Comettes at your event, please contact: info@uticacomets.com, or click here.

Alex L.

Alex L.

Alyssa D.

Alyssa D.

Amanda F.

Amanda F.

Courtney G.

Courtney G.

Laura E.

Laura E.

Morgan M.

Morgan M.

Rihanna A.

Rhianna A.

Samantha R.

Samantha R.

Savannah R.

Savanna R.

Stephanie A.

Stephanie A.

Taylor K.

Taylor K.

Therese B.

Therese B.

Victoria S.

Victoria S.

NY State Teams and I LOVE NY Team Up

ILNY

Five New York State American Hockey League teams today – Utica Comets, Rochester Americans, Albany Devils, Binghamton Senators and Syracuse Crunch announced a partnership with Empire State Development’s Division of Tourism/I LOVE NEW YORK. The announcement, first made at the Third Tourism Summit held in October, is part of a $50 million commitment to the tourism industry to promote statewide tourism, create jobs, and attract more visitors to every region of New York.

“Tourism is vital to New York’s economy – it supports more than 850,000 jobs and creates economic opportunity in every region of the state,” said Empire State Development President, CEO & Commissioner Howard Zemsky. “When people visit New York, they fall in love with all that our state has to offer. We are proud to work with the New York American Hockey League teams to further increase travel throughout the state and support the tourism industry as it continues to grow.”

The five AHL New York Hockey teams will partner with I LOVE NY as they aim to increase the economic impact of spectators at New York winter sporting events and expose sports fans to New York State winter getaway opportunities. New York State tourism destinations will be promoted at team games and events and the AHL schedule will be featured on I LOVE NY platforms.

“Partnering with I LOVE NY is an honor and another example of how their organization greatly impacts our State’s tourism industry. We look forward to growing the sport of hockey in the State of New York while simultaneously having a positive impact on tourism,” said Utica Comets President Robert Esche.

The third New York State Tourism Summit brought hundreds of tourism experts to the Capitol to discuss innovative ideas and new ways to encourage travel to all 11 vacations regions of the State. As a result of the Governor’s support of tourism, the industry has seen an increase in spending, state and local tax revenue, visitors and employment since 2011, and a record-breaking economic impact of $100.1 billion in 2014.

About New York State

New York State features 11 beautiful vacation regions. New York’s attractions span from landmarks such as Niagara Falls to the wine trails of Hudson Valley and treasures like the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Whether it’s wide-ranging outdoor activities for the whole family like hiking, culinary wonders and farm-to-table fresh foods, snowmobiling, skiing and snowboarding, or the rich history and culture of one of the 13 original colonies, New York State offers diverse activities for all travelers. For more information, visit www.iloveny.com. Media can find press releases and more at http://www.iloveny.com/thebeat/.

• 2 weeks later...

It was GREAT to see the Vancouver Canucks staff in attendance at last nights Comets game. Here are some things that Trevor Lindon and Coach Willie had to say about Utica. PLEASE NOTE THE 1ST comment.....

"We have no interest in moving (the AHL team) west." - Trevor Linden. #Comets

33 retweets 57 likes

I will easily tell you we are very happy with Utica. While geographically it's not great, the plusses far outweigh any negatives." -Linden

"Travis and company have done a great job. Its been a tough year for him. We've leaned on them quite a bit defensively this year." -Linden

"It was great to walk in to this building. It looks great, the exterior looks great, another great atmosphere." -Trevor Linden

Embedded image permalink

17 hours ago, UticaFanPart2 said:

It was GREAT to see the Vancouver Canucks staff in attendance at last nights Comets game. Here are some things that Trevor Lindon and Coach Willie had to say about Utica. PLEASE NOTE THE 1ST comment.....

"We have no interest in moving (the AHL team) west." - Trevor Linden. #Comets

33 retweets 57 likes

I will easily tell you we are very happy with Utica. While geographically it's not great, the plusses far outweigh any negatives." -Linden

"Travis and company have done a great job. Its been a tough year for him. We've leaned on them quite a bit defensively this year." -Linden

"It was great to walk in to this building. It looks great, the exterior looks great, another great atmosphere." -Trevor Linden

Embedded image permalink

Linden's comment about distance to Van be a negative is not serious IMO. Utica is a perfect physical location because of eastern exposure to eastern teams. In fact I would hope that Van doubles down and buys a ECHL team. Not a common NHL practice but it has great potential to deepen the overall organization. The advantage is not limited to players but also helps to develop management positions. To me Utica has to become a AHL powerhouse and having a ECHL affiliate to develop AHL talent is a no brainer. The stronger Utica becomes the better players can be sent to Vancouver.

10 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Linden's comment about distance to Van be a negative is not serious IMO. Utica is a perfect physical location because of eastern exposure to eastern teams. In fact I would hope that Van doubles down and buys a ECHL team. Not a common NHL practice but it has great potential to deepen the overall organization. The advantage is not limited to players but also helps to develop management positions. To me Utica has to become a AHL powerhouse and having a ECHL affiliate to develop AHL talent is a no brainer. The stronger Utica becomes the better players can be sent to Vancouver.

That's a great master plan. It would be nice to see Vancouver develop such a system.

Archived