The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kimchi

Lockout Casualty

Anyone have a preferred brand? So far Sura Kimchi has been the best I've tried, but it seems to be hit or miss. The last jar I got tastes... fresh. The cabbage itself is nearly flavorless, whereas previous jars the cabbage tasted amazing.  I've tried Jun Ju Kim Chi and didn't like it as it wasn't spicy at all. I found it terrible actually. The full jar is still in my fridge and I just don't know what to do with it.

There is good kimchi from Cali (with shredded radish and cabbage), but it's a small jar and I like getting large jars because I go through it quite fast. 

So, can anyone recommend a spicy kimchi that's consistently delicious? Looking for cabbage specifically, not too big on radish kimchi. 

16 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

Anyone have a preferred brand? So far Sura Kimchi has been the best I've tried, but it seems to be hit or miss. The last jar I got tastes... fresh. The cabbage itself is nearly flavorless, whereas previous jars the cabbage tasted amazing.  I've tried Jun Ju Kim Chi and didn't like it as it wasn't spicy at all. I found it terrible actually. The full jar is still in my fridge and I just don't know what to do with it.

There is good kimchi from Cali (with shredded radish and cabbage), but it's a small jar and I like getting large jars because I go through it quite fast. 

So, can anyone recommend a spicy kimchi that's consistently delicious? Looking for cabbage specifically, not too big on radish kimchi. 

Uh, learn to make your own.  You have no idea what companies put in that kimchi.  Try buying local if you're in a big city.

Maangchi is a pretty good starting point for making your own stuff.  She's a Korean food Youtube celebrity.

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

Uh, learn to make your own.  You have no idea what companies put in that kimchi.  Try buying local if you're in a big city.

Maangchi is a pretty good starting point for making your own stuff.  She's a Korean food Youtube celebrity.

Well Sura Kimchi is made in Coquitlam, and that's where I buy it. I'm not too interested in making my own if it's time consuming or takes a lot of effort.

I take it you make your own?

Of course!  Any true Korean must go through the ancient rite of kimchi-making.

When you are having problems with kimchi that other people/brands are making, it's time to put matters into your own hands and pick how spicy, how salty and how fresh/pickled you want it.  Speaking of which, if you think your kimchi right now is tasting too fresh, just leave it out for a day or two and that'll ferment it right up.

There is also another alternative.  Make friends with Korean mothers.  Who knows, maybe one of them will get lonely and ask you to stay for coffee.

Wow, watching her make the paste made my mouth water (it waters any time I think about kimchi. I fking love it). I didn't quite catch how long to let it ferment for. 36 hours and it just began, then she refrigerated it. Is it just a matter of trying it as it goes and seeing what stage I like it at? 

Thank you very much for the tips. I'll leave it out until tomorrow and see how it progresses after work. How many eastern European guys do you know that make their own kimchi? I may be the first! ::D

17 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

Wow, watching her make the paste made my mouth water (it waters any time I think about kimchi. I fking love it). I didn't quite catch how long to let it ferment for. 36 hours and it just began, then she refrigerated it. Is it just a matter of trying it as it goes and seeing what stage I like it at? 

Thank you very much for the tips. I'll leave it out until tomorrow and see how it progresses after work. How many eastern European guys do you know that make their own kimchi? I may be the first! ::D

Yes.  If you're in Coquitlam you can go to the Korean market and buy cabbage that's already been salted.  Then you just make and apply the paste.

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Of course!  Any true Korean must go through the ancient rite of kimchi-making.

When you are having problems with kimchi that other people/brands are making, it's time to put matters into your own hands and pick how spicy, how salty and how fresh/pickled you want it.  Speaking of which, if you think your kimchi right now is tasting too fresh, just leave it out for a day or two and that'll ferment it right up.

There is also another alternative.  Make friends with Korean mothers.  Who knows, maybe one of them will get lonely and ask you to stay for coffee.

Never had Kim chi before. Watching this video was Interesting I'll have to try it one day. Not sure where to get authentic Kim chi from. .

4 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Never had Kim chi before. Watching this video was Interesting I'll have to try it one day. Not sure where to get authentic Kim chi from. .

I get mine from T&T. If you want to try it but not commit to a large jar, look for a beige looking jar made in Cali. Very tasty and spicy. As I mentioned above, Sura Kimchi is made in Coquitlam, which has a large Korean population. Been my go-to except the current jar, which I'm going to let ferment more to get to my preferred state.

20 minutes ago, Offensive Threat said:

It tastes great usually if it isnt too spicy. Personal preference thing with spice I guess. I just dont think food should be painful to eat. 

If you have high blood pressure or other heart related issues stay away. This stuff packs a full days supply of sodium in one little bowl. 

It does not.  You are wrong.

My wife loves it, but honestly I'm not a fan. Most kimchi I've tried is too fishy, & given how little I eat sauerkraut & other fermented foods anyway, my tastes probably aren't too likely to change. 

That being said, I totally agree with buying local kimchi or making it yourself. We just got a big ole' jar from a farmer's market, staring me in the face every time I open the fridge. It's huge.

2 minutes ago, Offensive Threat said:

Not liking a fact doesnt change it. If you make it yourself you can go lower on sodium but any store or restaurant kimchi average serving is going to usually have well over 2000 mg of sodium in it. Thats a lot.

710mg per serving (1/2 cup, 110g) according to the nutritional info on my jar. Not so bad. Except I think I eat 3x more than an average Korean, at least according to Wiki. :lol:

1 minute ago, Lockout Casualty said:

710mg per serving (1/2 cup, 110g) according to the nutritional info on my jar. Not so bad. Except I think I eat 3x more than an average Korean, at least according to Wiki. :lol:

Don't certain people process foods differently?  Like the Inuit, they can digest more fats?  Maybe Koreans are meant to eat more salt?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Don't certain people process foods differently?  Like the Inuit, they can digest more fats?  Maybe Koreans are meant to eat more salt?  

Yep. We're all adapted to our own regions to process the available food as efficiently as possible. Inuit don't get much fresh fruit and veggies either I bet.

Also, if memory serves me right, adverse effects of a high salt diet are not as concrete as previously assumed. 

Archived