The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biega deserves full time minutes

SaintPatrick33

He has impressed me so far and deserves to stick around. He has been solid defensively and has also had some excellent pinches and blueline holds in the offensive end. The best thing though is he is consistent, hes not giving up the puck or getting burned by offensive players (Hamhuis against Dallas x 2:picard:).

15 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Perhaps the next Mike Weaver? Weaver didn't crack the NHL full-time until 27, but he went on to have a really solid career. Averaged around 20 minutes per game with Florida. Small, sturdy guy who didn't bring a whole lot offensively but was just a really solid defender. 

This was exactly what I was thinking lol... a 5 or 6 type d-man should usually excel at defence, in weavers case he was also a great shot blocker. Our current crop of d-men are too soft physically and do not do anything particularly well. Just need a steady as she goes type d-man like Biega for now and hopefully draft and develop our future core. 

1 hour ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

This was exactly what I was thinking lol... a 5 or 6 type d-man should usually excel at defence, in weavers case he was also a great shot blocker. Our current crop of d-men are too soft physically and do not do anything particularly well. Just need a steady as she goes type d-man like Biega for now and hopefully draft and develop our future core. 

The awesome thing about defenseman like Biega and Weaver is they can be trusted to eat up big minutes when there are injuries. A guy like Weber is fine with somewhat sheltered minutes, but gets totally exposed when needed to step up. 

Next year I'd like to see Biega on a one-way contract in the 7 spot. 

If the Canucks are going to suck, this is the year to do it. Hamhuis and Vrbata will fetch a nice return at the deadline. Bartkowski and Prust would also be valuable depth pickups, and Higgins/Burrows would be moveable. 

I would love to see us get one of the big defenseman free agents that are available this offseason. Not sure what we need more, a big tough stay-at-home guy or a puck mover. Braydon Coburn sort of hits two birds with one stone (6'5 and can skate). 

Archived