The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biega deserves full time minutes

SaintPatrick33

8 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Lol, and then there's Weber...

There's only 2 D we have with good shots.  Edler and Weber.  That's probably keeps Weber in the line up.  It would be swell if he would score for a change.

I liked what he did on the goal last night to give him credit.

2 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Tbh, with this coaching crew, I'm not sure... 

Ha!  You are implying our guys are actually being coached?  Is this not the same coach who said he had no idea what to do about 3 on 3, and who has been telling his players to try and hold on for the shootout?  I see our guys running around, looking lost and confused.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Ha!  You are implying our guys are actually being coached?  Is this not the same coach who said he had no idea what to do about 3 on 3, and who has been telling his players to try and hold on for the shootout?  I see our guys running around, looking lost and confused.  

I must have missed that.  WD actually said he has no idea what to do in the 3 on 3?

6 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

I must have missed that.  WD actually said he has no idea what to do in the 3 on 3?

I'm paraphrasing, and making inference.  WD said something like that a couple of days ago, and then Henrik said they are going to play 3 on 3 defensively to get to the shoot out.  2+2=our guys are being coached?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm paraphrasing, and making inference.  WD said something like that a couple of days ago, and then Henrik said they are going to play 3 on 3 defensively to get to the shoot out.  2+2=our guys are being coached?

Ah crap... Well we're done.  Playing 3 on 3 defensively?  And with our defense?  Is Henrik on glue?

5 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Ah crap... Well we're done.  Playing 3 on 3 defensively?  And with our defense?  Is Henrik on glue?

I guess Kassian did get to him.^_^

i do like this Biega guy.  He can skate, has some skill, and plays tough.  Now he only needs to get some special WD coaching!:lol:

I think Biega's presence was good for Markstrom, nice having guys you're familiar with in front of you. Biega would have been playing 20+ mins a game with Marky last year and they know how to play off each other or what to expect as far as- when a goalie plays the puck, who a defender takes 2 on 1, where your goalie likes you positioned etc etc.

He sure as hell looked way more defensively sound than Weber. 

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Can anyone enlighten us why Sanguinetti was never resigned and brought up?  He is big, can hit and skate, and was a stud in Utica last season, a . huge point producer.  Was it a Kassian-type problem?

Just ask desi, I'm sure he'll talk your ear off about that. Or, OR, we can all realize that while he's a good AHL d-man, he got signed by the Sabres and still isn't in the NHL.

But Biega is a fringe guy, great in the AHL but not a full time NHL'er. He can come in and do well, and even be a depth guy longer term, but it's another step to playing night in, night out against bigger, faster NHL players and avoiding the wear and tear. I really like that he's in our system though for times like these until our prospects are more ready.

4 hours ago, Fateless said:

Anybody that can take ice-time away from Weber is a good option to me. I still don't think he's "better" than Hamuis, Edler or Tanev, but he's definitely better than Weber.

This makes sense. Arguing that Biega is "better" than Hammer, Edler, or Tanev makes no sense. Ask any NHL who they would rather have: Biega or Hammer, Biega or Tanev, Biega or Edler and they would laugh at you for asking the question.

Don't forget, Biega had to clear waivers to be sent to Utica at the beginning of the season and no GM claimed him even though his salary is low. And at age 27 it is not like he has much upside.

It is not reasonable to think if of Biega as a legitimate NHL defenceman on the consistent basis. At 5' 10" and about 185 lbs he is too small to contribute to the physical game, and he does not have the offensive skills to contribute to the offense.

But I agree that Weber is not a legitimate NHL-calibre D either, certainly not in the top 4. I would be happy to give Biega a shot.

But let's have reasonable expectations. Biega is at best a borderline depth guy who can fill in for a while.

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Can anyone enlighten us why Sanguinetti was never resigned and brought up?  He is big, can hit and skate, and was a stud in Utica last season, a . huge point producer.  Was it a Kassian-type problem?

The guy went to the Sabers and still isn't playing in the NHL. What is it with the CDC lovefest for this guy.

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Always liked Biega. He works so hard and plays well and Weber beats him out how?

His 11 goals last year. I can't think of any other reason he was a lock to make the team going into camp. 

Just now, The Big Luongo said:

I'd much rather give Biega a real long look than stick with an obvious in over his head player in Weber. I thought Biega looked pretty solid at most parts of the defensive game last night.

So did Weber.last night.......it was one of his better games as a Canuck

Archived